Hi there,
Im rather new to the electric guitar as I only started playing it a few months ago however a have been playing classical guitar for about 4 years. I'm looking to get a fat strat as I love the tones as Eric Johnson and Eric Clapton however I also like the classical rock stuff. So, I have about $500AU and am aware this probaly wont be enough. However I do have an SX Start copy from awhile ago. Would it be possible to convert that to a fat strat style guitar that sound reasonable good? If so what things would a need to do/buy.
Thx.
First thing you need to do is take off the pick guard, and have a look at how it's routed underneath - a lot of strat's - especially copies are are either routed HSS or with a simple big square route.

If the body is routed for a humbucker, you just need to buy one you like, a new pickguard with the right configuration, and fit it.
You will need a router (to route the pickup cavities in the body) and a router bit for cutting pickguards, unless you intend to buy a fat strat pickguard (which I suggest you do). You will also need a humbucker (REALLLY!!!) a soldering iron, and some solder...
DON'T BLOW YOURSELF UP. If you want to but a fat strat may I suggest a yamaha pacifica 012 or 112. Both are very good solid body fat strats under $500 au
my eyes! it BURRRNNNS

big pic is rather big.

but yep, thats hss by the looks of it.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
haha srry bout the size ><
Sweet, now i gotta start planning. i will also upgrade a few other while im at it.