Hi all,

The noob is needing help again

Got an inexpensive guitar (around $400, les paul - esque) that seems to have a really great construction and good wood, but crappy pickups.

I'm looking for ideas for pickups to drop into it. The Gibson '57 reissue classic and plus aren't really cutting it for me in my other guitar, gain wise, but I love the tone.

I play some relatively somewhat heavy stuff, punk along the lines of Tickle Me Pink, Senses Fail, and some others, so I'm looking for pickups that have decent gain without tons of feedback.

The main problem with the current pickups in the guitar is the muddy sound, the constant feedback no matter what I do, and noise. And yes, I'm going to get the other electronics checked out before I drop in new pickups.

I'd like a thick sound, balanced, with punchy mids, and decent gain.

Ideas are greatly appreciated!
Last edited by Ashenblue at Oct 27, 2009,
Before pointing out my guitar-noobiness, recall that I pointed it out first
If you like the tone of the other pickups but want more gain you could invest in a seymour duncan pickup booster.

Look into Dimarzio.
Dimarzio.com
Quote by UltimateDud
perhaps invest in a highergain amp or pedal?

That would affect tone.
what kind of amp are you using beacause it may be an amp related issue but i would recomend the seymour duncan invaders if u ant a good gain and tone plus they are really versatile
Quote by lespaul#1
Dr_Shred wins the thread

LEAVE THE PASTRIES ALONE!!!
To answer the earlier question, I have a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401, with a stock speaker, celestion gold back.

Even with gain all the way at 10, my other guitar doesn't push the gain I want. Consequently I have to use a Boss OD-20 pedal with it to boost the gain.

Seems like the overwhelming consensus is seymour duncans, eh?

So here's what I've gathered:

Check--
SD
sh-6 Distortion
sh-5 Custom
Invaders

How are EMG's?
Invader - not in a million years.
Custom - pretty good, but I think you can do better
Distortion - probably too heavy on the highs for you

Also, pickups don't give you gain, at least not in the way you seem to think they do...that's the whole point of pedals. Pickups change the voicing of the sound, the clarity and the responsiveness. However, hotter pickups don't really give you more gain, what they do is improve the way your amp responds to the guitar in terms of distortion - it's a subtle difference but an important thing to be aware of. Gain comes from your amp and fx, not pickups.

Given you want punchy and thick and balanced you want either a Dimarzio Norton or Breed in the bridge depending on the body wood, probably with a Humbucker from Hell or Breed in the neck depending on how much of a contrast you want.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
DiMarzio Fred or Super Distortion. The Fred is a little tighter and punchier but the Super Distortion has more gain. Personally I don't care for Seymour Duncans or EMG's so YMMV.
Quote by steven seagull

Given you want punchy and thick and balanced you want either a Dimarzio Norton or Breed in the bridge depending on the body wood, probably with a Humbucker from Hell or Breed in the neck depending on how much of a contrast you want.

this
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by steven seagull

Also, pickups don't give you gain, at least not in the way you seem to think they do...that's the whole point of pedals. Pickups change the voicing of the sound, the clarity and the responsiveness. However, hotter pickups don't really give you more gain, what they do is improve the way your amp responds to the guitar in terms of distortion - it's a subtle difference but an important thing to be aware of. Gain comes from your amp and fx, not pickups.

I'm not that well versed on this stuff, but I have observed that the Gibson pickups that I have do not sound as crunchy and gainy as the pickups in the new guitar, by far. (i.e I have to use the OD-20 with the Gibsons and I can't with the new pickups without getting a ton of feedback and saturated distortion. Additionally, the Gibsons won't feed back easily at all. Why is that?
dimarzio air classic -neck
dimarzio norton- bridge
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
If the option to include a battery is doable in your guitar's routing space, maybe a set Seymour Duncan Blackouts could be in order? I also agree the Dimarzio Notorns or Breeds--both really nice pickups for clarity on high-gain settings.
http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_018.htm
Sounds exactly what you need.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I love the sound of that pickup, and what a steal, too.

What should I pair it with? That would be the bridge, right?
I strongly suggest you PM a user here called CorduroyEW - he winds excellent custom pickups and does a discount for UG members. He's got a website too. Believe me, this guy really knows his shit!

Also check out some other boutique makers who'll wind a pickup to your specifications. If you're prepared to pay Gibson's ludicrous prices, you might as well spend it on something really high quality (and for the record, most custom pickup builders seem to charge about the same as you'd pay for a machine-wound, mass produced Gibson pickup).
FWIW... at the value of the guitar, the priciest pickup I'd use for it would be a Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio.

Iron Gear would more than suffice for that guitar.

When you go into boutique or hand wound pickups, you need good tone wood to make the pickups shine.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.