I've been playing guitar couple of years now and I'm starting to feel the shortcomings of my Laney LV100 (the first amp i bought). So i'm thinking of upgrading and gettin a tube amp. I primarily play thrash metal like metallica, megadeth though am really gettin into dream theater and john petrucci (my new idol).

Most of the time these days i'm just using Recto simulation on my Digitech RP500 (sounds much better than the Laney drive) with the Laney on clean which is ok but not awesome.

What do you guys think would be a good tube amp to get? Is there a big difference in gettin a half stack or a combo? I've been thinkin of a Randall RG50TC but then I just wonder if thats a big enough upgrade. Should I be goin for a half stack at this stage? I've also thought about an Orange Tiny Terror but i'm not sure how well it does metal. I've heard clips n they sound ok but not what i'm looking for (can it be tweaked more).
My budget max is around A$ 1400. I am in Australia so prices are kinda different (even secondhand mesas r out of the question @ A$3000 or so).

I use a ESP-LTD KH-202 with EMGs and my playing level is i guess intermediate (can do ok sweeps and play some petrucci solos at tempo but not all).
bump...

Also I think the Engl Screamer 50 sounds nice.... but then I found out that the Australian retail price for one is A$3200
do you gig?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
yeah man.. do you gig?
do you have a boring neighborhood?
Quote by Junnage
GuitarUser knows what's up*

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
digital amps are like Fapping, its good but nothings like the real thing.
Tiny Terror isn't good for metal. Too muddy at high gain. I will post suggestions when you answer the above question.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
you never know here man :P if youre patient.. you can get some damn good deals.

i got an engl e530 + engl 930/60 for AU$1500. just keep looking around and you can find some awesome stuff.

If you are looking to be in a band sometime soon then a tube combo would be the way to go. you can get some decent ones for that price if you hunt around.
Last edited by duggan_nugget at Sep 23, 2009,
Boosted Blackstar HT5 if you're not gigging, Bugera 333/XL/6262 if you need more volume and know how to open it up and check that everything is connected up the way it should be.

You might be able to find a Marshall TSL if you go used, but you might be waiting a while for one to come up that cheap. I was in a similar situation to you not long ago with a similar budget, I bought the Bugera 333XL.
A Bugera

SS Randall would be good for you

I've seen Marshall combos go for anywhere from 600-1300 on aussie ebay so check those out

Also i recall seeing a Vetta 2 combo on ebay that ended in your price range so you maybe able to wait for another one to pop up.

Now i have always wanted a Mesa so when i was looking for one before i got my amp i looked long and hard for one that fell in to my price range(which was roughly the same as yours), and from that i have some advice. GIVE UP!!!, due to our **** prices you will never find even the cheapest Mesas go for less than 2k. I looked for months on numerous websites and watched ebay like a hawk, trust me on this one.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Finally got the internet back up. I'm not currently gigging that often due to being at uni and not currently being in a band. Even then its more of a really obsessed hobby rather than trying to make a career out of it. However I still do perform every now and then. The Bugera's seem like a good choice though I remember reading somewhere around here about them having bad workmanship in the manufacturing or wat not with the wires n stuff.. ??
Wow. For a change there r actually 3 dealers in a close enough range for me to go check the Bugera out. Btw what r the advantages of having a half stack over a combo. I can get the head for just a little under a grand new and the combo is just around 1100 bucks new.
Quote by Elvishquirks
Wow. For a change there r actually 3 dealers in a close enough range for me to go check the Bugera out. Btw what r the advantages of having a half stack over a combo. I can get the head for just a little under a grand new and the combo is just around 1100 bucks new.

Combos: Easier to carry, usually more value for money.

Stacks: 4x12 Cabs push more air; making it sound fuller, more versatility (e.g. You have a Cab, you could buy 2 heads to get different sounds).

If you're not gigging, it's probably more advisable to go for combo.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!