im starting to feel my wrist tense up and stuff and i know you can get carpel tunnel, so does any one know any exercises or ways to prevent this?

and i know there have been posts about this before, but my connection is so slow, making a new thread is faster then searching for an old one...
Proper fretting techinique, thumb on the back of the neck and one finger per a fret

If your bass is diving that could also be a problem and also make sure your wrist is straight so no blood circulation is being cut off
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Proper fretting techinique, thumb on the back of the neck and one finger per a fret

If your bass is diving that could also be a problem and also make sure your wrist is straight so no blood circulation is being cut off

Yep. that and do some basic scales before you play
Quasi chromatic scales helped me.
-----------------------------1-2-3-4-
-------------------1-2-3-4-----------
---------1-2-3-4---------------------
1-2-3-4------------------------------

followed by
5-4-3-2----------------------------------
-----------5-4-3-2-----------------------
-----------------------5-4-3-2-----------
----------------------------------5-4-3-2

And so on, up to the twelfth fret, (pinkie on 12) and all the way back down. It's hard at first, but it should help, as long as you are using proper technique, as said previously. The spider exercise is also very good.
A small amount of money invested in 1kg weights, and hand exercisers will work wonders for your control and endurance. If you do 10 minutes a day, do it right, and consistently, you should have no wrist issues at all. Ever.
Always warm up before you even pick up an instrument, and never push yourself too far.