Hi,

Peavey classic 30 Head
Dual Terror Head (concerned about the lack of reverb / fx loop)
Hayden Mofo

or

I have been offered my friend's Marshall DSL100H with either 1936 cab or 1960A at mate's rates (which is very nice of him).

- Will effects before the dual terror destroy it? (delay, reverb, ebow)
- Will a 30 watt head be loud enough to compete with a very loud drummer.
- Will the 4 x 12 be a better option for a lower wattage head?

Can't decide, the Dual Terror would be cool as I can flick it to 7 watts for home use but I do like playing with effects.

Any other amps suggestions? Need to be loud enough to jam with, less than £500 and a head.

Oh yeah, I play mostly rock music and main guitar is a Gibson ES-335 dot. Generally go for tones like; AC/DC, Mowgai, Hendrix, Thrice etc.
Last edited by hoppaG at Sep 21, 2009,
played on a classic 30 combo. those things can get pretty darn loud for a 30 watt. that's gotta be one crazy drummer to play over that thing. of course that's the combo, but it would be similar for the head too right?
Quote by Vitor_vdp
your profile says you have a Marshall TSL head an ENGL Screamer...

So??
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Quote by Vitor_vdp
your profile says you have a Marshall TSL head an ENGL Screamer...

Yeah, haven't updated that in a while, the TSL died and the Engl went a couple of months ago.

Heard good things about the Hayden Mofo... gonna try one of those out!

Drummer is crazy loud, always had my all valve 50 watt Engl combo on MAX volume! and that's not a quiet amp.
Played a Hayden Mofo yesterday, it's awesome! Think I'm gonna have to get it.

Shame there's no reverb but I guess it would douuble the size of the housing.

Would like it to be louder but the sound that comes out is too good to pass up and it'll be great for playing at home with it's stealth mode (cuts it done to 2 watts, still pretty loud though).

I would keep the DSL100 if I had a powerbrake but they're bloody expensive. So looks llike I'll be trying out life with the Mofo.
Right on. Never heard a bad word about the MoFo. Should sound excellent through a 4x12.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Well, went and tried out the Hayden Mofo with my 335.

Tried the 1x12 that was built to go with it and it sounded pretty good but not great when pushed. So I tried it through a Blackstar 412 and it knocked my socks off!

Currently playing it through a Marshall 1936 212 but sounds less bright than the Blackstar did.

I'm gonna loose the Marshall cab and get either a Blackstar Artisan 212 or a Framus 212.
Forgot to mention...

I bought the Mofo there and then and at the counter I found out that it was one of the first 100 built. It came with a certificate to say that it was hand wired by Dave Green.
Quote by hoppaG
Drummer is crazy loud, always had my all valve 50 watt Engl combo on MAX volume! and that's not a quiet amp.

No freakin' way!
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
hoppaG - can you stop double posting, please?

I've heard one or two "problems" with the Hayden Mofo. It's what put me off from buying one. It's really just construction issues, however. And I know about Dave Green making the first 100. I met him, he's nice. He used to work at Matamp, which are one of the best amp makers on the planet.
I wouldn't worry about it though. There was an issue with them getting shipped so I think they may have been rushed, therefore maybe causing a few to be constructed hapharzdly.

I'm dying to try one out.

It's very strange that your ENGL could barely cope with a drummer. Very strage.
Sorry about the double posting, I'm new to actually writing stuff in forums so still learning the proper etiquette.

It's possible that there was something wrong with the Engl as the tone didn't sound as good on full volume as it did at when it wasn't being pushed, which is exactly the opposite to every other valve amp I've every owned. Saying that I used to have a Marshall 100 watt head with a 412 and the volume was always over 7 in practice so I think my drummer is exceptionally loud.... he's good though, so we let him off.

Narrowed down cabs to the Blackstar Artisan 212 (£349.99 at the local guitar shop) and the Framus FR212CS 212 (£253 from Thomann).

Also anyone got any views on the a Harley Benton 212? I know it's made for Thomann and cheap as chips.. but at £150 for celestian vintage 30s it's crazy cheap.

I only play at home and the odd studio session so don't need anything gig proof but also don't want a tacky farting piece of rubbish.
Quote by hoppaG
Sorry about the double posting, I'm new to actually writing stuff in forums so still learning the proper etiquette.

It's possible that there was something wrong with the Engl as the tone didn't sound as good on full volume as it did at when it wasn't being pushed, which is exactly the opposite to every other valve amp I've every owned. Saying that I used to have a Marshall 100 watt head with a 412 and the volume was always over 7 in practice so I think my drummer is exceptionally loud.... he's good though, so we let him off.

Narrowed down cabs to the Blackstar Artisan 212 (£349.99 at the local guitar shop) and the Framus FR212CS 212 (£253 from Thomann).

Also anyone got any views on the a Harley Benton 212? I know it's made for Thomann and cheap as chips.. but at £150 for celestian vintage 30s it's crazy cheap.

I only play at home and the odd studio session so don't need anything gig proof but also don't want a tacky farting piece of rubbish.
The Framus Dragon cabinets are great. I owned a 4x12 version of it before.

Those Blackstar Artisan cabs I have no experience with. I've been told the amps themselves aren't particularly great, particularly for what you are paying.

Apparantly, those Harley Benton cabs are made in the same place they make the Framus Dragon cabs. I only heard that on UG so it's not entirely trusthworthy, but still.

If you can stretch your money to the Framus Dragon, I'd say go for it. Or you may be able to pick one up second hand if you wait long enough.