hey guys im looking into aload of amps i just wanna know what the diffrences are between all the power tubes and how they will affect the sound i know that most amps are usuing 12ax7's and everything im looking at has these so no change there its just the power tubes in paticular what are the properties of

EL34's

6L6's

6550's

if someone can tell me what the diffrences are i would be greatful i play metalcore if that helps.
EL34s give a Marshall tone, EL84s are more like Voxs, 6L6s are Fenders.

So the EL34s have less headroom than the 6L6s (the 6L6 can go to higher volumes before clipping).

Check out the Tubes Thread.
Quote by blue_strat
EL34s give a Marshall tone, EL84s are more like Voxs, 6L6s are Fenders.

So the EL34s have less headroom than the 6L6s (the 6L6 can go to higher volumes before clipping).

Check out the Tubes Thread.

ok so which would be best for metal im thinking 6L6 n 6550
Quote by SWBS_DJ_GUITAR
ok so which would be best for metal im thinking 6L6 n 6550

Mesa = 6L6
Marshall = EL34

So, it depends. Tubes have general characteristics, but for the most part you can't judge the sound of an amp solely by tubes, tone is much more affected by the circuit. So don't bother looking for amps this way, its like looking for an amp just based on brand.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Mesa = 6L6
Marshall = EL34

So, it depends. Tubes have general characteristics, but for the most part you can't judge the sound of an amp solely by tubes, tone is much more affected by the circuit. So don't bother looking for amps this way, its like looking for an amp just based on brand.

+1

My Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25 actually has EL84s in it, and still has that Mesa Burn sound.

Try out an amp before you buy it.
eh, but it can help to narrow down choices. there's a big difference in British and modern voicings. that said, many amps offer tha ability to interchange tubes, much like Mesa rectos.
for example, there's the jcm800 sound we all know and love, and then there's Zakk's jcm800, hotrodded & loaded with 6550/KT88's (don't remember which... same thing though).