Ok, so I'm looking at buying a vintage v100 off ebay. I have found one I like: a B-stock.

Here is the desciption of the guitar defects...

Please note that this item is being sold as second hand and without warranty. The strings are buzzing and the action is uncomfortably low, this may be fixable with any amount of truss rod adjustment. The plastic machine heads vibrate when the strings are played. This may be fixable with glue.

There are light signs of wear to the edges of the body and several large dents underneath.

The B string is missing.

Otherwise, the electrics are working fine.

The part which worries me is the part about the fret buzz. I'm guessing this is because the neck is too straight as a result of the truss rod being over tightened.

My question is....
Is it as simple as just adjusting the truss rod and maybe adjusting the saddles or could there be permanent damage done to the neck?
Last edited by mikey_360 at Sep 21, 2009,
fret buzz is caused by the low action or by worn out strings or cuz of truss rod messed up.

Get it to a pro tech and it will be perfect.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by mikey_360
Ok, so I'm looking at buy a vintage v100 off ebay. I have found one I like: a B-stock.

Please note that this item is being sold as second hand and without warranty. The strings are buzzing and the action is uncomfortably low, this may be fixable with any amount of truss rod adjustment. The plastic machine heads vibrate when the strings are played. This may be fixable with glue.

There are light signs of wear to the edges of the body and several large dents underneath.

The B string is missing.

The part which worries me is the part about the fret buzz. I'm guessing this is because the neck is too straight as a result of the truss rod being over tightened.

My question is....
Is it as simple as just adjusting the truss rod and maybe adjusting the saddles or could there be permanent damage done to the neck?

no way i'd touch this guitar.

if it was an easy fix, they would have fixed it.
how do you know it's not a broken neck?

^how you you know that?
some guitars are crap. this one has a ton of problems. too many to list.
unless the guitar is basically free, it's not worth even looking at.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 21, 2009,
Quote by jj1565

Yeh, I think your right about that. Personally I feel I could fix up this guitar no problem if it was a straight forward turn of the truss rod. But, the company selling it is Gear4Music and so they could have fixed it up easily if possible.

I'm sure they would have noted if the neck was actually cracked as return policy says it can be returned if the package is damaged in transit i.e. damage which isn't stated in the description.
Quote by mikey_360
Yeh, I think your right about that. Personally I feel I could fix up this guitar no problem if it was a straight forward turn of the truss rod. But, the company selling it is Gear4Music and so they could have fixed it up easily if possible.

I'm sure they would have noted if the neck was actually cracked as return policy says it can be returned if the package is damaged in transit i.e. damage which isn't stated in the description.

dude, they're not going to give you your money back.

the tuners are popping out. the board is full of buzz and you need to find a better guitar for the cash.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Unless you're getting it for next to nothing, stay well away.

EDIT: If you do get a good price on it (and I mean an epically good price) it might be a fun project to work on.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Last edited by Yerjam at Sep 21, 2009,
Quote by mikey_360
Ok, so I'm looking at buy a vintage v100 off ebay. I have found one I like: a B-stock.

The B string is missing.

My question is....

this is the part that worries me....Plastic Machine Heads??
Yeah, I wouldn't buy it.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by Yerjam
Unless you're getting it for next to nothing, stay well away.

EDIT: If you do get a good price on it (and I mean an epically good price) it might be a fun project to work on.

Yeh, well it was going to be a re-finish project but it is currently going for about £50 with about 8 hours left and 5 bidders. So I guess I'll just let this one go by.
its 50 bucks? i say go for it it could just be a simple turn of the truss rod? and if it is a bolt on neck it can be replaced, and PLASTIC MACHINE HEADS could be replaced? its 50 bucks there probably more than 50 bucks in electronics still on there you could resell if necessary
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
Quote by jj1565

how do you know it's not a broken neck?

^how you you know that?
some guitars are crap. this one has a ton of problems. too many to list.
unless the guitar is basically free, it's not worth even looking at.
This! If it was easily fixable, they'd have fixed it so they could get more money for it. If they haven't fixed it, it means they can't without spending a shedload of money, and if they are a guitar shop....
Quote by mikey_360

Please note that this item is being sold as second hand and without warranty. The strings are buzzing and the action is uncomfortably low, this may be fixable with any amount of truss rod adjustment.

Truss rod adjustment and perhaps some saddle adjustment. It shouldn't be too much bother though.

Quote by mikey_360
Ok, so I'm looking at buying a vintage v100 off ebay. I have found one I like: a B-stock.

The plastic machine heads vibrate when the strings are played. This may be fixable with glue.

Tightening the screws on the side of the machine heads might stop them vibrating. My tuners were vibratin' so I tightened them up a bit and now they don't buzz.
I can only see problems with using glue though.

Quote by mikey_360

Some people like wear and tear on their guitars. It makes them look. Distinguished.

But it's not for everyone.

Quote by mikey_360

The B string is missing.

I don't see any kind of real problems here.

If you like the looks of it. You might as well go for it.

EDIT: It's Ebay. I change my mind. Run for the hills man!

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Last edited by osXtiger at Sep 21, 2009,
Quote by TommyT5

A too straight neck?? I thought thats how they should be.

Nah, as far as I know, that is a cause of intonation problems and fret buzz. It should have a slight bend in it (usually refered to as relief).
Any guitar listed as broken on ebay should be considered absolutely beyond help.

If whoever had it thought it could be fixed and had any sense, they'd get it fixed and then sell it for more. It's possible that's not the case, but there's no way of knowing until it's too late.
Quote by Holysorrow
its 50 bucks? i say go for it it could just be a simple turn of the truss rod? and if it is a bolt on neck it can be replaced, and PLASTIC MACHINE HEADS could be replaced? its 50 bucks there probably more than 50 bucks in electronics still on there you could resell if necessary

£50 not 50 bucks, it's not done bidding, doesnt include shipping.
it's not playable, non returnable and besides everything else, they say the "action is uncomfortably low."
My God, have you ever heard that about a playable guitar?

^+1 what i was trying to say. on ebay, if they say the guitar needs help then you know it REALLY needs help. they need to put enough in there so you have no case, when you try to get your money back.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 21, 2009,
this item is being sold as second hand and without warranty

that's not any typical B stock im familiar with.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Sounds like they are just trying to not take a total loss on the guitar. A b-stock is something like MF sells new but blemed or damaged in some way. Not a used trade in. Notice how they dont give any sort of good view of the headstock, hmm wonder if there might be something they dont want you to see. "Its missing a string" come on they couldnt find a string to stick on it. They saw something right away that said to them dont waste any time or money to fix this thing, ebay it.
It's all going to depend on the price and quality of the guitar. I buy a lot of guitars that have broken headstocks, necks etc and fix them myself. The last 5 guitars I bought were all damaged and all 5 cost me less than $150.00 for the lot. Some people just do not want to invest the time and money to repair a low or mid range guitar only to make a few extra bucks it's better to sell it and let someone else deal with it. Luthier work is not cheap even if they have their own on premises.

It sounds to like more of a used guitar rather than a B Stock maybe a demo. Wear on the edges of the body usually means heavy play even Nitro finishes don't wear that fast.

B Stock is usually a 2nd or blem Guitars with minor things wrong with it or nothing wrong with it. I got two guiras from MF that were perfect but were sold as blems. I called them and found out they sell returned guitars as blems as well as guitars that have minor problems because they can't sell a returned guitar as new.

This guitar sounds like it has some issues but they do not seem all that bad. To me at least it sounds like all easy repairs. I know nothing about Vintage guitars they just don't sell them here in the states as far as I know. If they are made well and are of decent quality if it's cheap enough go for it. Don't be afraid to ask the seller questions I do all the time before I'll bid.

John
Quote by zhilla
This! If it was easily fixable, they'd have fixed it so they could get more money for it. If they haven't fixed it, it means they can't without spending a shedload of money, and if they are a guitar shop....

They're not a guitar shop, Gear4music are a bloody enormous business. They have warehouses full of this stuff, and if a sub-£500 guitar is slightly dodgy it's often more economical to sell it off cheap, rather than pay the wages of someone to set it up properly.

This guitar doesn't really have 'faults', just a bit of use and a bad setup. I assume it's a return.

If you can get it for under £90 or so, go for it.