Okay. I've been eyeing a peavy vyper 75 for some time now, but I'm afraid it won't be powerful enough to overcome the drummer. Some people have told me that yes it will, but other keep telling me otherwise. My guitar teacher actually told me to save up for a decent stack, and I've been looking into Bugera 333's. I need the UG communities help on this one. Should I go for the vyper or save for the bugera?
Your guitar teacher is really dumb for a guitar teacher.

Honestly, you don't need a stack unless you are playing large venues (like stadiums), and even then, you could still use a combo.

The Vypyr 75 will easily pass the drums.
my vypyr 75 passes a drummer at less than half max volume..
IM A LEFTY!

-Schecter C-1 classic
-Fender standard strat
-Peavey Vypyr 75w
-Sanpera II
-Yamaha FG720SL acoustic
Yea, even my Vypyr 30 can get loud enough for gigging. No worries, man.
Ive got an Randell rg75 which is about the same in volume, and i can smash the drummer into space with the noise on that thing, you should be fine.
Ah! that guitar teacher must be deaf!

Sure, the Vypyr 75 will do the job with no problem at all.
Depends on the drummer. If they are a controlled good drummer 75 watts SS will do. If they're like Animal from the freaking muppets, it's not gonna do.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
I can keep up with my drummer is a small room, half the volume of a cube 15...
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
The Vypyr will be loud enough, but you could really get a better amp.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
thats what I'm worried about. I don't want a modeling amp. I wanna have real tone, not simulated. Besides, I want something that can play at any venue, stadium or not. I don't know. I'm still probably gonna go with a stack. Tubed amps are the s**t. Besides, the other guitarist in my band plays through a vyper, and I've spent many an hour at his place playing through it, and to be honest, the tone is too digital for me. I just needed a bigger amp for gigs and recording. I'm still not sure.
If a venue is really that big that (you think) you need a stack, they are gonna have microphones and a PA system. With those two thing you can mic your amp, so you can play stadiums with a 5-watter.

also, you don't need a big amp for recording. Most albums are recorded with small amps.
true, but i still don't like modeling amps. I'd pick a stompbox over that anyday. With a stompbox you have some much more control over your tone.
OK, so if you want a new amp, tell use your budget, music style and if you would go used.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
OK, so if you want a new amp, tell use your budget, music style and if you would go used.

Agreed. There's too many clueless people in this thread at the moment and the different opinions are going to confuse the threadstarter.
damn clueless people!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
you probably go to a local music store for your lessons don't you? If you do it would make sense as to why your teacher told you to get a stack cuz he would be getting paid for the sale....lol
No, he's private. He used to play in a local band called Make Like Murder. He's really sick and a d**n good teacher.

And I'm in a prog metal band, so versatility is a must for me. I have a roof of about 1000 dollars, and I don't mind going used if it's in good condition.