Im not sure that i am advanced enough and that i should buy a new amp/pedal/anything.
Lest start with the basics, my current gear is:
epiphone sg-400 that costed me 400$ a year ago.
fender frontman 25R that costed me 200$(shipment sucks).
I play on the electric for about a year and add 6-8 months of slow classic guitar progress.
here is my channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/sbhsbh100
Judge yourself, but remember that i didn't ran through a lot of takes, 3-4 max with poor editing.
Should i progress and buy some sort of 400$ amp(will cost around here 500-550$) or should i practice more.
I opened this thread because when i told my father that i want to buy a new gear he said that I'm not quite good enough and because of that i wont notice the quality difference.
btw, im not in a band and probably wont be in a band anytime soon.
If you need more info about me write it down.
Thanks!
Where are you located? Do you feel something lacking in your current tone, or do you just want to buy an amp for the sack of getting something (pretty understandable)?
Israel.
looking for different tone. my fender doesn't play well in the British area such as ac/dc.
I never looked on any different amp beside an frontman 15G witch sucks even more.
looking into the blackhear handsome devil sort of thing, or less.
at thomann was good sale ! There was 75w Line 6 Spider III amp whit Heavy effects just 222e .. I bought one , its very cool !
[productive reply]

Can you be more specific about the tones you are after? They may well be achievable on your budget.

I'm not really sure, but certain amps may highlight your mistakes more and make you look like a worse player than you actually are. I know this is the case with pickups, it probably is with amps too. This might be a positive or negative for you, if you want to achieve impeccable playing technique and be perfect at a song you're playing, then win. If not, then lose.

1) What's wrong with your tone now, and what do you want to change about it in order to make it better?

[/productive reply]

Quote by tume
at thomann was good sale ! There was 75w Line 6 Spider III amp whit Heavy effects just 222e .. I bought one , its very cool !

If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Last edited by Juadafi at Sep 21, 2009,
thats the thing, as i told you i never checked expensive amp so im not sure,what i am sure is that on ac/dc song the chords sound not right, digital and on metal it quite good.
i hope i could go today and finally understand the sound difference at first person and not on youtube.
btw just a minute ago my high e string snapped during the knocking on heavens door solo...
its about time to finally do a set-up for the first time!
Quote by dany_100
thats the thing, as i told you i never checked expensive amp so im not sure,what i am sure is that on ac/dc song the chords sound not right, digital and on metal it quite good.
i hope i could go today and finally understand the sound difference at first person and not on youtube.
btw just a minute ago my high e string snapped during the knocking on heavens door solo...
its about time to finally do a set-up for the first time!
If you can hear a digital "fakeness" in your tone, it is most likely your amp that is causing it. And if you're keen on it, no matter what stage of guitar playing you are at, it's good to get rid of that annoyance. Why wait? The longer you have a better amp, the more time you'll have with it, fully utilizing it's worth.

Blackheart, as you mentioned, make lovely starter valve amps (valve/tube amps seem to be the way for you to go--they don't sound digital) I haven't played the Handsome Devil, but the Little Giant is essentially it's little brother (it's only 5 watts--still quite loud, though) and I have played that and was impressed by it.
If the option to try it out is available to you, I'd strongly advice it. Otherwise, many online store stock them where you can buy them, generally with a return policy if you are not happy with it.
It sounds very earthy, responsive, bassy and thick. It's not quite got that British "edge" that some amps have (such as a Laney) but with the correcy EQ'ing I found both vintage and modern, British and American tones. It's quite versatile in other words.

If you want a British tone, the Laney LC and VC series are worth looking into. You can get the 15 watt versions for quite reasonable prices these days. Also, the new Laney Cub is coming out soon. It might be worth waiting for.
The only problem I have with Laney's, is the thinness to it. It sounds quite dry at times. The more you drive the power amp valves, though, the more punch and fullness you'll get out of the tone. The problem with that, unfortunately, is it tends to become quite loud.

The Vox AC4TV is supposed to be brilliant, but I haven't played it. It's only four watts I believe--with the ability to knock it down to 2 and 1/4 or something like that.

The Peavey Windsor Studio is supposed to be nice.

Fender Superchamp XD is pretty kick ass. As is the Orange AD5. Although, they don't sound very similar. The Orange is less dark, more British and with a slightly higher amount of gain.

Epiphone Valve Junior is another one to look at.

And finally, a Blackstar HT-5. It, along with the Vox AC4TV and Blackheart Little Giant, are very popular on UG.

I hope that helps.
another question, I've got my guitar 11 months ago.
my original string had been replaced(high e snapped) about 6-7 months ago, and today my gibson les paul string was also snapped(only the high e).
i understand that i should set-up my guitar by a professional but over the time i changed my adjustments such as bridge hight intonation and pickup hight but without professional tools.
should i set-up and ask to change string or should i buy string and try to set-up by myself and save 40-50$?
OK, to sum it up.
If all i've got is a guitar inch ruler and tunning program in my computer could i set-up as much as a professional set-up?
i've got to go to sleep soon so what kind of things ill miss if i'll only do a home set-up?
stuff
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by dany_100
i've got to go to sleep soon so what kind of things ill miss if i'll only do a home set-up?
Essentially, close perfection. A professional, you see, will never do it right the first time. It's like getting your hair cut; it's never perfect. But it's certainly better than when your Auntie does it.

Quote by dany_100
OK, to sum it up.
If all i've got is a guitar inch ruler and tunning program in my computer could i set-up as much as a professional set-up?
That should be fine. I wouldn't worry too much about making the guitar perfect. Just enjoy playing it. Once you become more experience with that particularly instrument, you'll then have a clearer idea of what specifically needs to be done, and you can then send it to a tech who will do as you prescribed.