Hi,
I was wondering, since on my latest thread about buying an ibanez, everyone said I should look for a good trem, good neck and replace the stock pup's.
So why should I buy a prestige that costs twice as much as a normal decent ibanez?
Are they really worth spending another 500eu on, or is it just a little bit of snobism?
What makes them so much beter?

cheers
Hendrik
Better constuction, better quality parts, better wood, some of the best trems on the market. the guys that work in the mij prestige factory have years of experience under their belt. You will consistently get a great instrument that will last years
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
it`s not snobism, the production standards are way higher on a prestige ibby, the frets are rounded off properly and every imperfection is removed from the neck. the price difference is substantiated by the quality of every component of the guitar.

are they worth the extra cash, most definatly, go play a rg 420 then a rg 1550 you`ll feel the difference straight away.
Quote by mexican_shred
Better constuction, better quality parts, better wood, some of the best trems on the market. the guys that work in the mij prestige factory have years of experience under their belt. You will consistently get a great instrument that will last years

But there are some 500-600eu ibanezes, I mean won't they be good construction?
Fact is that I have about 400-500eu and I would need another 200-300eu extra for a prestige (used that is).
The MIK ibanez are by no means bad construction. But the quality between mij(normal and prestige) and MIK are miles different. The biggest deal breaker is the trem and wood quality. High quality basswood is used on the prestige ibbys and the edge pro/edge/lopro/edge zero are trem systems that beat out OFR's imo in terms of overall stability and durability
go for a used RG550 they're not prestige (as they were discontinued before the term prestige was widely used) but they're high quality. And most have had the pickups already replaced.

also, the non-prestige ibanezes are not worth the money IMO (unless you're talking S series but even then...)
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
way off topic of what you wanna buy but if you want a good high end ibanez look for the Ibanez SAS220-hard to find since they are no longer made but i have one and they are kick but original msrp was 600? or 700? and i only paid 250 for mine and it is the most amazing guitar i have ever played great for all styles of music
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
^+1. the used 570's are some of the best deals out there. Any rg thats rg5##+ will not disappoint.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
go for a used RG550 they're not prestige (as they were discontinued before the term prestige was widely used) but they're high quality. And most have had the pickups already replaced.

also, the non-prestige ibanezes are not worth the money IMO (unless you're talking S series but even then...)

Well, My brother has a cheap RG from ibanez, it was about 400eu new, the only thing that bothers me is that the neck is not good (the fretthingies stick out a little) and the pickups are a little muddy.
But can't you do the neck yourself and just replace the pups?
Quote by mexican_shred
^+1. the used 570's are some of the best deals out there. Any rg thats rg5##+ will not disappoint.

Does the ibanez roadster 2 RG 525 belong to the good ones?
yeah but it'll cost you another €100 or so.

the trems on the non prestige RGs don't last very long. It doesn't make sense for ibanez to put a trem that will last ona cheap guitar.

the old RG550s (and other rg5#0 models) are high quality models but are within your budget because they're used. they're still solid though (most of them anyway)

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Sep 21, 2009,
Quote by Lemoninfluence
yeah but it'll cost you another €100 or so.

the trems on the non prestige RGs don't last very long. It doesn't make sense for ibanez to put a trem that will last ona cheap guitar.

the old RG550s (and other rg5#0 models) are high quality models but are within your budget because they're used. they're still solid though (most of them anyway)

Well, how about the JEM 555? found one for under 400eu (they cost 900eu new here) I mean, if I can knock of another 50eu, this could be a good deal, maybe it won't be the same quality as a prestige, but it should be a good guitar.
98 out of 100 folks who buy a high end Ibby are gonna change the p'ups anyway. I think that is the Ibanez theory. Make everything that is more likely to be changed a little cheaper but make everything that that has to stay be the very best it can be. I was going to buy a RGT42DXFM MIK, played it side -by- side with RG 1570 MIJ. Even those they are similar in price, it was no contest. RG1570 kicks total butt....except for weak p'ups.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Quote by henis
Well, how about the JEM 555? found one for under 400eu (they cost 900eu new here) I mean, if I can knock of another 50eu, this could be a good deal, maybe it won't be the same quality as a prestige, but it should be a good guitar.

nope, the jem555 has the same crap trem (the edge III) with decent pickups, a low end neck and low end body wood.

you usually pay that much for one new because it's effectively a sig guitar (and it has good pickups).

that RG525 that you're on about seems decent apart from the pickups. 24 frets, edge trem (although it's not recessed so you'll only be able to lower the pitch, not raise it). It won't be your traditional ibanez fair (thin neck etc.) but it'll be decent.

as I've said the RG550/570/560(if you like single coils)/520 are more than decent and can quite easily be found for less than €500.

Quote by element4433