There's a Peavy half stack sitting in a store here that sounds to die for. It simply does every tone I want, from the cleanest jazz tones to really heavy metal (I'm not really a heavy metal or a jazz player, I just tried to get both extremes out of it - and by god, it managed them both perfectly). It's also really cheap - £350 for the head, £350 for the matching cab. Marked down from £650 each.

The thing is, it's mis-labelled, the guys int here are a bit slow and don't seem to know much about it, and all I can get out of them is "er, it's 50 watts, all-valve Class A, we're just slashing the price because it's been sat here a while". That's literally all they would say about it.

It did sound fantastic and seemed a bargain but I don't want to pull the trigger on buying it until I find out more info about it - but I can't even find a picture of it, let alone a name or spec list.

The label in the store simply says 'Peavey Classic Head/Peavey Classic Cab', but it's certainly not one of the Peavey Classic line, doesn't look even remotely like it. There were no model numbers or badges on it as far as I could see, just the Peavey logo and I didn't get to look at the back of it.

It was all black, about two foot wide or so, with a weird control set up:
2 inputs, one called 'bright' and the other 'normal', on the far right of the controls.
On the left, an on/off lever switch, an on/standby lever switch and then weirdly the channel switch was on it's side (so it flicked left-to-right instead of up and down) and was labelled 'normal' and 'lead'.
As far as I recall (I couldn't take a picture of it), the other controls were all chickenhead style knobs. From left to right, as far as I remember, the controls were Presence, Master Volume, Treble, Middle, Bass, Reverb, power amp volume, preamp volume and 'normal volume' (which seemed to do absolutely nothing). All of these controls went from 1-12.

It looked a bit like the Valve King head as it was all-black with the controls at the bottom of the front of the head, but it definitely wasn't a Valve King series.

If anyone has any idea what this amp could have been I'd very much appreciate it. It sounded truly incredible and with such a huge price reduction I'm really tempted, but I don't like to spend a single penny on something I know basically nothing about.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
50W class A? I very much doubt it. Mind you, most music store guys don't have a clue about anything like that.

They're supposed to be very good amps though. £350 is ludicrous for the cab, get something else.
try and get a picture on your cell or something.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by MrFlibble

It was all black, about two foot wide or so, with a weird control set up:
2 inputs, one called 'bright' and the other 'normal', on the far right of the controls.
On the left, an on/off lever switch, an on/standby lever switch and then weirdly the channel switch was on it's side (so it flicked left-to-right instead of up and down) and was labelled 'normal' and 'lead'.
As far as I recall (I couldn't take a picture of it), the other controls were all chickenhead style knobs. From left to right, as far as I remember, the controls were Presence, Master Volume, Treble, Middle, Bass, Reverb, power amp volume, preamp volume and 'normal volume' (which seemed to do absolutely nothing). All of these controls went from 1-12.

you just described the layout of a Peavey Classic 50. EXACTLY to the T.

the one in this picture happens to be in Tweed, but they did come in black as well.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Sep 21, 2009,
Sounds like the old Peavey classic 50 watt head. Good price too, i say pick it up while you can cause it might not be there forever.

Anyway, peavey classics are one of my favorite line of amps, second in line to my beloved JSX of course, which does everything from a classic to a 6505. XD
Classic 50 in black almost definitely. Grab it - those are awesome heads. Out of production in head version, too, I believe.

EDIT: Here's one in black - this what you saw?

Last edited by Flying Couch at Sep 21, 2009,
its definitely the C-50
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Oh, that makes complete sense now. I thought it was weird that the label said Classic and the layout matched it but on the Peavey website all the 'Classic' models are various shades of cream.

Okay, sounds like I'll probably get the head ASAP then. They've got a Marshall MC2x12 basic cab for £180 which I'll get instead of the Peavey cab, I have no need for a 4x12 or full stack anyway.

Pretty chuffed, I was going to be going for a Marshall DSL401 combo that would have been £600...
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.