ive learned an assload of riffs round bout 300 maybe 400 and im still not done anybody got some ideas of stuff i should learn im runnin low on ideas
Me:santana put so much soul into his music

Sister:yeah its like you know how old ladies put love into there cookies santana puts soul in his cookies
You need to let us know what kind of music you're into. Then we can make suggestions accordingly.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Quote by BassFishin
You need to let us know what kind of music you're into. Then we can make suggestions accordingly.

umm i like heavy metal of all kinds punk rock funk rock classic rock pretty much i only hate pop music

Sister:yeah its like you know how old ladies put love into there cookies santana puts soul in his cookies
Well what have you already learned for the most part?
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
I love when people say they hate pop.
But honestly just play the music you love. How should we know what you like better than yourself?
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Quote by BassFishin
Well what have you already learned for the most part?

well pretty much if not all the basics smoke on the water,layla,stone cold crazy,walk this way,crazy train,black dog,cowboys from hell,killing in the name,number of the beast,breaking the law,rock you like a hurricane,pride and joy,no more mr nice guy,smells like teen spirit,oh well,back in black,thunderstruck,raining blood,highway to hell,rock n roll,immagrint song,sunshine of your love etc etc pretty much everything in those top 100 greatest riffs lists

maybe learn some full songs and solos?
also how good is your writing ability

I hate it when people say they hate pop- it's ok to hate particular songs but not entire genres. My world has been turned upside-down by a certain ginger whirlwind that is florence welch of florence and the machine That is some seriously good pop!
Quote by doive
maybe learn some full songs and solos?
also how good is your writing ability

I hate it when people say they hate pop- it's ok to hate particular songs but not entire genres. My world has been turned upside-down by a certain ginger whirlwind that is florence welch of florence and the machine That is some seriously good pop!

i have learned a few full songs and solos but i usually either a learn a riff or b a solo my writing ability like how good am i at writing my own music id have to say im geting muh better ive turned into a little riff machine i call my kind of music funk thrash

as for hating pop well i hate blocking out a whole genre i mean seriously but ive lisened to pop and song after song i just hate it i mean i get nothing out of it cept hot chicks dig it the closest thing to pop that i like is i like one paramore song

I personally think if you can call to mind and play 300-400 riffs then you know enough, but you can't know them that well. Also don't you get bored of just learning riffs?
Maybe take a look at how those riffs were constructed?
try writing some music of your own that isn't riff based, maybe make something chord/melody based?

Maybe most pop is average tat produced without much inspiration except for the desire to make money. Not to say there aren't some gems out there - it's worth looking at any pop song that has survived more than about 5 years. It almost certainly has something to it more than the average dirt that the industry rehashes on a weekly basis.
Quote by doive
I personally think if you can call to mind and play 300-400 riffs then you know enough, but you can't know them that well. Also don't you get bored of just learning riffs?
Maybe take a look at how those riffs were constructed?
try writing some music of your own that isn't riff based, maybe make something chord/melody based?

Maybe most pop is average tat produced without much inspiration except for the desire to make money. Not to say there aren't some gems out there - it's worth looking at any pop song that has survived more than about 5 years. It almost certainly has something to it more than the average dirt that the industry rehashes on a weekly basis.

i barely ever use chords unless im singing something but im like phoebe from friends i dont know the names of the chords and when i use chords i sit there pick them and lead into something heavy im still not bored of learning riffs i always love to learn new music and when i think ive learned everything i hear something on tv or radio and go wow i got to learn that

as for pop music i just dont like the make you smile music three chord have the same beat going in the background music with annoying singers like lady gaga,jason mraz,brtiney spears or pretty much anything that gets played on pop/top 40 radoi

Learn theory. Learn your chords. Learn your scales. It seems you're pretty content doing what you're doing, though.

What do you want to learn?
Quote by brownsfan456
Anything is possible with music which is sooo awesome

Quote by metal4all

I just learn the formula, apply it to a key, and use said notes on fretboard. Why? Cuz I'm not a pussy.
Quote by KenjiBeast
Learn theory. Learn your chords. Learn your scales. It seems you're pretty content doing what you're doing, though.

What do you want to learn?

lol i just figured out jimi knew theory i know bout 8 or 9 chords dont know jack bout scales i just look at a tab go ok then play it when i learn something i dont do it half ass though if theres a crappy tab then well i sit there and mess with it till its good

what do i want to learn?hmmm well i did want to learn
scarified/racer x
satch boogie/joe satriani
souls of black/testament but i got all those down i dont when i want to learn something i sit down and i learn the sucker whether it takes me 30 seconds or 3 hours

Holy Wars... The Punishment Due By Megadeth
Battery By Metallica
Cowboys From Hell By Pantera
I Cum Blood By Cannibal Corpse
And the most brutal song ever played...

Life's What You Make It By Hannah Montana
Quote by Dio10101
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due By Megadeth
Battery By Metallica
Cowboys From Hell By Pantera
I Cum Blood By Cannibal Corpse
And the most brutal song ever played...

Life's What You Make It By Hannah Montana

great taste in music bro ive learned almost all the ones you mentioned cept i cum blood but i cant learn that last one its just too brutal i cant listen to it it would give me nighmares

Quote by 80smetalfreke
great taste in music bro ive learned almost all the ones you mentioned cept i cum blood but i cant learn that last one its just too brutal i cant listen to it it would give me nighmares

Did you learn the solos? Those are the best parts. Especially the last solo in Holy Wars(Dave's solo)
Quote by Dio10101
Did you learn the solos? Those are the best parts. Especially the last solo in Holy Wars(Dave's solo)

ok ive learned one megadeth solo sweating bullets hes a master i was gonna work on baterys solo soon and cowboys from hell is definetly worth a shot

Quote by 80smetalfreke
ok ive learned one megadeth solo sweating bullets hes a master i was gonna work on baterys solo soon and cowboys from hell is definetly worth a shot

Do cowboys first the solo took my like 20 minutes, it's pretty easy.

EDIT: And write your own music.
Last edited by Dio10101 at Sep 21, 2009,
I can tell you now you will cut your learning time in half if you take the time out to learn some scales and a few basic chords.

I can listen to most rock/metal music then look at the tab briefly for about a minute or so tto get an idea of key/pitch range and play the entire thing by ear. Not only is it quicker for me to not read the tab i remember it much better and can make connections between songs "hey - led zepp rock and roll is almost exactly the same as black dog in the solo" That just meant i learnt 2 solos for the price of one. Theory is your best friend - and normally a MASSIVE shortcut to learning and writing good music fast.