I was playing guitar and it got me thinking about something... I know that all of you guys have thought of this before and its always up for a debate. What exactly is tone composed of? Is it the guitar? amp? strings? type of finish? wood? How much are we willing to pay to get that "ultimate" "vintage" "metal" tone?

After playing several guitars I have come to notice that many of the things and rules of thumb we have come to learn and believe are false and sometimes downright stupid.. I know, I know I know... "My 6 point trem sounds better than my 2 point trem" "This finish enables the guitar to breathe..." "a basswood body sound crappy as opposed to X type wood" "You need a one piece neck to get that sustain..." Tell that to Steve Vai, he uses a 5 piece neck, or tell that to Satriani, he uses a basswood body.

How much of the actual tone is already predetermined even before we pickup a guitar? Say you see a Fender and a Squier... you have already think that the squier will sound cruddy and bad as compared to the fender. I have found this LINK over at another forum and it got me thinking about this stuff. I firmly believe that there is a point where two guitars will sound the same no matter what finish no matter how many pieces of wood are in the neck and/or body... I may be wrong. What do you guys think?
Last edited by LedZepFan2000 at Sep 21, 2009,
Grammar. Please use it.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Holy lack of paragraphs, batman!

Anyways, I'll answer the question "How much are we willing to pay to get that 'ultimate vintage metal' tone?". Nothing, I'm not going to pay anything. If people want to pay me that's fine, but I'm not going to use it. I don't play metal.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
well since it is 50% the amp you could get close. Pickups are next important, then comes the build of the guitar.
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Quote by King Twili
Grammar. Please use it.

Get back to your /b/, you cancerous ****

FrenchyEdit: *Warned*
I have a strat and a marshall, I play clean and couldn't be happier with it.

EDIT: I play acoustic mainly so forget all the boxes/silly effects anyway.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
every instrument sounds different. even if their the same model, they're made of a different piece of wood. that changes how it will resonate and sound. i havent actually done it with a guitar, but if you took a reading of different guitars their overtones series would be different. measuring overtones series gives you a display of the sounds characteristics. you might not be able to hear it, but other people with more trained ears can. some guitars just feel right. youve gotta look around. no guitar is created equal.
Last edited by reelbigfish2020 at Sep 21, 2009,
5 piece neck?
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by Kensai

Anyways, I'll answer the question "How much are we willing to pay to get that 'ultimate vintage metal' tone?". Nothing, I'm not going to pay anything. If people want to pay me that's fine, but I'm not going to use it. I don't play metal.

I think you need to reread that sentence. Ultimate-Vintage-Metal were supposed to be options, not one thing.

I don't know what affects sustain, but I know that Vai's comes from his Fernandez pick up, btw.
My bass has a 5 piece neck and it sustains for days. It's also not gonna warp as easy as a one piece neck.

Basswood is just like any other wood- you get good and bad cuts. Bad cuts will be bad. Good cuts get used on Musicman Bongos and many "shredder" sigs.

You can't work things to percentages about tone, it's just a stupid notion. Everything has an effect. People say 50% of the tone is your amp- well, my amp is transparent. It doesn't colour the tone of my bass at all. It's all about your setup and equipment as a whole that makes up x tone.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
My bass has a 5 piece neck and it sustains for days. It's also not gonna warp as easy as a one piece neck.

Basswood is just like any other wood- you get good and bad cuts. Bad cuts will be bad. Good cuts get used on Musicman Bongos and many "shredder" sigs.

You can't work things to percentages about tone, it's just a stupid notion. Everything has an effect. People say 50% of the tone is your amp- well, my amp is transparent. It doesn't colour the tone of my bass at all. It's all about your setup and equipment as a whole that makes up x tone.

Put a locker on this thread, its done.
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
Quote by Henkdemachtige
Put a locker on this thread, its done.

+1
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Kensai

Holy hey kensai look at the three paragraphs! Way to not contribute!

As far as the actual question is concerned, i have no idea, really. I imagine that it's a big combination, some factors making more of a difference than others. Especially if you're playing different styles of music. For example, if playing cleanly, the type of wood in the guitar is more important than the amp/settings on the amp. On the other hand, in metal (and i could be completely wrong on both of these) the amp may be more important than the wood of the guitar, since the sound of the guitar in metal is manipulated much more than the sound of a clean guitar. I suppose metal guitar is less organic in that sense.
Quote by Altitudinous

You seem to not notice the large banner under the first post indicating that it was edited to have paragraphs.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
I think you need to reread that sentence. Ultimate-Vintage-Metal were supposed to be options, not one thing.

Oh alright, I was confused by the conspicous lack of commas.

Quote by Altitudinous

████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████