Hey guys,

I just have a quick question for you amp savvy users.

I'm using a Randall V2 Ninja with a Randall RS412XLT100 cabinet

How much can I push the volume on this head before Cabinet damage?
Can I really crank it to like 7-8 or even higher?
I know to roll some settings back with higher volumes like Bass and Density but
I'd like to know because I am on a very very tight budget and having to replace something is the last thing I need right now.

This amp is really loud and even though people say you can turn em pretty much all the way up, I don't know if I trust that. To me, a 12 inch speaker can only take so much before something goes kaput and from how much I've pushed it to, I'm concerned about the maximum. I've had it about half way up so far with the preamp and master at 12 o clock. At that point I was starting to get a little nervous 'cause that's really ****ing loud.

I'd like to know so I'm not ****ting bricks if I need to push it past half (which is probably unnecessary anyway because of it's immense volume.

Thanks in advance for replies!
That thing is rated for 400 watts, you can go 100% if you wanted to/had to. And yes, I realise the head is also 400 watts. Also keep in mind cleans tend to push a lot harder than distortion, so especially if you play distorted you should be fine.

I don't see why you'd ever want to turn it up that loud though.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Sep 21, 2009,
Yeah, I know. It's beyond ****in' loud.

What I'm worried about is like, actual speaker cone damage or something inside the speaker, not overloading it's circuits. Is that possible?

I just wanna know if I have a lot of volume room before any kind of speaker damage
Last edited by RX120D at Sep 21, 2009,
Quote by RX120D
Yeah, I know. It's beyond ****in' loud.

What I'm worried about is like, actual speaker cone damage or something inside the speaker, not overloading it's circuits. Is that possible?

I just wanna know if I have a lot of volume room before any kind of speaker damage

You'll be fine, don't forget the load is divided over the speakers and they are rated and tested to withstand 100 watts each. Technically they should be able to handle it. Overcourse its always possible that there is a technical flaw, but in all honestly you'll most likely go deaf before that happens.
WTLTL 2011
Awesome dude, thanks for the help. I've got one more quick question.

Also, on certain notes (3rd fret, A string power chord) If I play it with a heavy palm mute, the sound get's kinda 'woofy'. I backed off the bass a bit but at that point, my tone was starting to sound cold. Is there other solutions to this?

This is my first experience with this kind of power when it comes to amps. Making the jump from 120w to 400w raises some questions and I just wanna clear things up.

I can send a picture of my settings for reference
Last edited by RX120D at Sep 21, 2009,
Quote by RX120D
Awesome dude, thanks for the help. I've got one more quick question.

Also, on certain notes (3rd fret, A string power chord) If I play it with a heavy palm mute, the sound get's kinda 'woofy'. I backed off the bass a bit but at that point, my tone was starting to sound cold. Is there other solutions to this?

This is my first experience with this kind of power when it comes to amps. Making the jump from 120w to 400w raises some questions and I just wanna clear things up.

I'm not sure here, but I'm guessing the frequency of that note might be interacting with the cabinet. That and the natural sag thats added when you push speakers and/or tubes hard.

Solution would be to push the speakers and (preamp tubes I believe?) less hard, or try a different cabinet/more cabinets to handle the load.
WTLTL 2011
The bass reduction cleaned most of it up, but it's still present. It's not a serious problem, but I'm extremely picky with my sound so it's bugging me a bit. At the level of volume where this occurs is about the same as a full band jam level.

Master: 10:30
Level: 11:00
Density: 1:30
Presence: 3:00

Bass: 1:30
Mids: 12:00
Treble: 2:00
Gain: 3:15
Attack: Tight

My EQ shape is a very shallow V.

It's like this

| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | - -
- - | - | |
| | - | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |

The diagram is actually more extreme than my EQ. So just smooth it out a bit and that's what mine is at.
Sorry dude but I don't think settings will solve the problem without taking away from proper EQing. The cab is just woofing out on you, a different cab and/or different speakers might do wonders, or its just the amps nature.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by RX120D
Alrighty, thanks a bunch for the help man. I appreciate it.

No problem. I asked a few others to check out your questions as well, I'm sure they'll post here sooner or later.
WTLTL 2011