Hello everyone!
I just recently switched out the strings on my Classic Vibe Tele from 10s to 9s. Since I'm kind of a beginner, I have no idea what adjustments I have to make now, if any. If anyone could enlighten me, it would be much appreciated.
well, a switch like that shouldnt be too much of a difference. the tension is slightly lower, so the neck might bow back, meaning you may need to adjust the truss rod a bit. DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF YOURSELF. if its playable without stringbuzz, or very little buzz, then dont bother adjusting it.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
click the green link in my sig.

in the first post it explains how to raise the bridge a little, if needed.

or how to measure neck relief. (no need to adjust anything)

also note that buzz that does not transmit thru the amp is generally not considered a problem.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The guitar may need to have its intonation adjusted, or at least checked. Check the Ultimate Guitar site forums for more information on how to do this. It is not hard, especially if you have a good tuner or have good "ears" and can hear small pitch changes.

Correct intonation will keep the guitar in tune as you move up and down the frets on the neck. Before setting this make sure the neck relief is correct and the "action" (closeness of strings to the frets) is how you want it. The reason you want these two setup first is that they can affect the string tension quite a bit, so they both affect the intonation.

Guitars often do not have correct intonation when going from an open string to fretting that same string at say the third fret. There is usually no adjustment for this because it would require adjustment of where the nut (near the top end of the neck) supports the string. Changing the gauge of the strings can make this better or worse.
Apparently, everything is correct on my guitar! I've checked the neck relief and intonation, which seem to be fine, and I have no buzz transferring to the amp! Thanks to everyone, who answered! (Especially to dkcol, for now I know what intonation really is )
I am glad things worked out for you. And you are most welcome for the explanations and advice.

Just for the possible future, if you ever get a guitar with a "tremolo" tail piece instead of a fixed bridge, be aware that when changing the gauge of strings it is almost certain you will have to re-adjust the tension of the tremolo springs. These are located on the back of the body, and the number can vary from as little as two to as many as five on most guitars. More springs gives more tension, which makes the back edge (away from the bridge) of the tremolo plate sit closer to the body.

It sounds like a big deal, but it is really quite simple. Do all the other adjustments in the sequence listed earlier. Then adjust the tension plate for the tremolo to be level with the guitar body - after you have tuned the guitar properly. There is a lot of interaction between tuning and getting the tremolo spring tension correct. So if you later go that route, you will learn a new meaning of the word patience!

Don't let it discourage you either way from trying new things and guitars. The beauty of music is it is totally up to you! My teacher (50+ years ago!) said music was the best of the arts. He said this is because nobody ever walked up to Picasso and asked him to paint the same painting again. But lots of people will ask a musician to play a certain song again.