I need help. I can play some faster stuff, and I can do fast triplets really easily (I use three fingers and roll them) but I can't seem to get straight 16ths/32nds down fast. This is a problem as I want to play t3h br00t4lz d34th m3t4lz. What can I do to improve my fingering speed?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I would suggest using a pick, but since you want to get faster fingers i really cant help you there
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I get such a big rush from downloading torrents that I just have to cum all over my face right at that moment.
when i play bass and i'm going that fast i just use a pick

try using all four fingers, that seems the logical thing to try
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
metronome plus spider exercises. Including string skipping. You're only as fast as your slowest hand, and speed is a byproduct of accuracy- here, accuracy is between your fretting and picking hands.

Hard work plus being hard on yourself. Start slow. This will not be a quick process.
Billy Sheehan + Google = Possible Win? I saw him live with Mr. Big in Tilburg and that man is insanely fast using just his fingers.

EDIT: DAMN YOU, ABOVE POSTER! >=(
Then I shall insert my erect penis into the narrow vaginal cavity of my blood-relative whom I predate by approximately 5 years.
Thanks guys- dunno about using a pick, I'd like to but I don't get along with them. Delirium, thanks, that sounds about right. String skipping meaning missing a string(s)?

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Keep using the fingers, eventually it'll just come to you.
You'll have to endure a few weeks of blisters though.

If the 1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2 style doesn't suit try some variations.
A way that I developed completely by accident, by using the index and middle finger you go:
Middle plucking down, index down, middle up, index up.
It enables me to play twice as fast.

(I hope you can understand that, it's rather hard to explain)
To get my speed I would play scales and just up down the neck with a measure of sixteenth notes on each note of the scale or fretboard at a tempo and move the tempo up each day.
Casketcreep, I do a similar sort of thing for faster songs. Its a bitch if you miss a beat though in my experience.
practice practice,
and you can nat get better if you dont try and play thing you cannot now
slow it down and go oer and over til you can play it 5 times flawlessly then increase the speed

i tend to start with my middle finger becase its longer and raches easier and my whole distance of my hand fron the bass is gauged off the middle finger

and relax your hand as much as you can
and try to touch the string with only the very very tip of your finger

practice practice practice..... THERE IS NOT A WAY AROUND PRACTICE

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
There's a technique I saw by Bryan Beller, the guy who plays bass live for Dethklok, where you essentially use your index and middle fingers together as pick. I've been doing it for a few weeks now, it's pretty easy to do it on the E string, others it's a bit tougher. Here's the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS7NXRQXem4
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Can you play three finger style without it sounding like triplets? Thats a goal that will have to be reached for this for sure, Billy Sheehan and Alex Webster both have many videos where they explain how to do this but its kinda tricky to get your fingers to do it naturally at faster speeds.

The spider scales will definitely help as well and since the link BamaBlues posted shows you whats really the idea of em you should easily be able to expand them to further string skipping and maybe even jumping positions by a little, this should definitely be worked on cause what are you gonna do when you can play fast ... but youve got to keep to one string or you'll have a little pause in your playing.

The Classical position idea should also be good, i think it helps you reach all the frets pretty comfortably and it lets you lay your forearm/wrist/hand parallel to the bass so you dont ever have any problem with your wrist bending too much.

Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, Death, The Faceless (i love Akeldama), Anata if you have an ear cause there dont seem to be that many tabs with writers who are confident in the tab, should be some bands who's song will give you something to work on. Good luck with this, its not gonna be a short process.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
1 2 3 2 1 makes it way easier for me for three finger duple playing.
Quote by Halakar
1 2 3 2 1 makes it way easier for me for three finger duple playing.

Its smoother at first, but its also very intensive on the middle finger since its doing twice the work of any of the other fingers. I dont know about you guys though, but ive always rolled my fingers from pinky to index so that direction seems like the most natural way to go but theres bound to be people who do it the other way right?
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
ATM I'm aiming to use 2 for 16ths and 3 for triplets/6ths. Should I use otherwise? And how can I make my right hand faster for tremolo passages?

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Metronome.

Play along with a metronome at a comfortable speed(120 would probably be a good place to start), then increase by 5, adjusting to that speed for a few minutes before bumping it up another 5. With practice you'll eventually be able to belt out the faster without fatigue.
Hi.
Ive never seen the point of playing fat, and as all the pro's say, keep it simple, nice and slow, simple and groovy. I should start the first metal groove band.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Ive never seen the point of playing fat, and as all the pro's say, keep it simple, nice and slow, simple and groovy. I should start the first metal groove band.

There's a whole genre called groove metal Mudvayne, being a stellar example.
Man, I love Ryan's lines. Not a particular fan of the vocalist, but whatever.

Quote by Thegian
Its smoother at first, but its also very intensive on the middle finger since its doing twice the work of any of the other fingers.

True. I don't use it that much, though.
Practice with a metronome. I am finally getting really into fast playing, and a metronome is the best thing to get. There is a GP5 file floating around the forums with a load of exercises on it. Start with them really slowly, just so you know what each exercise is. Then start building them so you can do the whole section of exercises at a constant tempo. Slowly make said tempo faster.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Deliriumbassist
There's a whole genre called groove metal Mudvayne, being a stellar example.

Also some Lamb of god could be classed as groove :P aswell as a lot of Pantera's stuff :P

What bout a groove funk metal band dunno how that would work.

Anyway back OT.Exercies,scales all that stuff would help and aid you in this case as you will be getting used to using the technique with more simplicity first then you can build and work it in.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Damnit is everything i think up already taken, what bout' Techno groove funk metal, now i believe there is a window in the market for that.,
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Damnit is everything i think up already taken, what bout' Techno groove funk metal, now i believe there is a window in the market for that.,

Rammstein?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding