Hello, I'm new in these forums, and I am getting a bass soon ( in one or two days ), it's a Blue/Black Fender, I don't know the model tho', my brother chose it for me ( I was going to get an Epiphone EB-0, but he found a very nice deal on a Fender ) .
So, I wanted to learn to play all by myself, but I barely know anything about basses, I just know that I really want to play it, as I like it more than I like the guitar, I might get a guitar in a couple of months, tho'. So, are there any good websites? Can I have some advice? Can anyone tell me some easy songs for me to play?
Thanks in advance.
Well...you've already found the best website, though talkbass.com is also very good. Tips for learning, don't get frustrated when you suck at first, everyone has to start somewhere. Keep in mind most of the first songs you learn will be fairly repetitive because bass is a rhythm instrument and the easiest way to start is just basic songs where you play root notes over and over. Learn scales. I know they suck but they really really do help. Other than that, try to learn both finger and pick styles because they are both very useful and odds are you will need to use them both quite a bit throughout your career. I would make this longer but I'm tired of typing. Congrats on the buy and welcome to our world
I personally think basschat.co.uk is also a pretty good place for bass knowledge (and picking up good deals on basses/amps if your in the UK) but it's all down to personal choice. This websites also pretty good, just has less users.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by thunderbritches
Well...you've already found the best website, though talkbass.com is also very good. Tips for learning, don't get frustrated when you suck at first, everyone has to start somewhere. Keep in mind most of the first songs you learn will be fairly repetitive because bass is a rhythm instrument and the easiest way to start is just basic songs where you play root notes over and over. Learn scales. I know they suck but they really really do help. Other than that, try to learn both finger and pick styles because they are both very useful and odds are you will need to use them both quite a bit throughout your career. I would make this longer but I'm tired of typing. Congrats on the buy and welcome to our world

Haha, thanks. I'll try to learn the scales, I suppose. I already knew it would take alot of hard work to learn, but that's what makes it fun, right?
Last edited by Vertikal at Sep 21, 2009,
Song Thread
The songs are labelled in order of difficulty and genre.

Study Bass
Lots of bass lessons

TalkBass
A larger, scarier version of the UG bass forum.

And of course, here!
Listen to the mods and regulars they know what the're talking about.

Also, I recommend getting a teacher. It's WAY easier to learn new concepts and techniques if you have someone in front of you who knows them forwards and backwards. Also, a good teacher will stop you from making bad habits that both make bass more difficult and could eventually hurt you.

Enjoy your Fender! (Sorry for the wall of text )
I might post a picture of my Fender when I get it, just for the lulz and so you guys can tell me if it's any good, because I honestly have no idea. :p
As for getting a teacher, I'd much rather learn by myself, or having a couple of friends give me some tips.
Quote by Vertikal
I might post a picture of my Fender when I get it, just for the lulz and so you guys can tell me if it's any good, because I honestly have no idea. :p
As for getting a teacher, I'd much rather learn by myself, or having a couple of friends give me some tips.

i self teach myself i go at my own pace and imo doing so helps you create a style which your feel more suited to even though some will disagree.Also you can tackle goals you set yourself also helps if friends play bass they will show you things.

Until like the end of June i could not do hammer ons to save myself till my friend showed me how to.Exact same with pull offs.

I taught myself basic scales, and some songs then progressed into a little bit more advanced as i move on.Also dont get frustrated if you feel like your getting nowhere cause you are.(i still sometimes get annoyed when i bugger up seek and destroys main rif the main verse one :S).

One bit of advice is be persistant,set achievable goals and last but not least have fun while your doing it.All the websites listed above are great for getting started.Also around here most people will be more than willing to help you on anything bass related :P
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by FionnRuadh
Song Thread
The songs are labelled in order of difficulty and genre.

TalkBass
A larger, scarier version of the UG bass forum.

And of course, here!
Listen to the mods and regulars they know what the're talking about.

Also, I recommend getting a teacher. It's WAY easier to learn new concepts and techniques if you have someone in front of you who knows them forwards and backwards. Also, a good teacher will stop you from making bad habits that both make bass more difficult and could eventually hurt you.

First off, welcome to the forums. If you read and follow the rules and practice basic grammar and etiquette rules, you'll have no problems with the mods

I really second the teacher recommendation. Someone here once said there are two ways to scale a mountain--by yourself or with a guide. Both methods will get you there but its much easier and efficient with a guide. The same with a teacher, esp. if you are a visual learner.

And on talkbass. There are some decent people there, but they don't suffer new players well and a few days on there can be rather discouraging when you first start out. We're much more forgiving here
Quote by Vertikal
as I like it more than I like the guitar,

This right here makes you a good person.
On the subject of self taught vs. a teacher, I was self taught my first 3 years of bass, and I found that when your self taught and your learning something, and it just "clicks," the feeling of accomplishment is great. However, you need a lot of self discipline to learn the theory all on your own and not just memorize songs from tabs. Having a teacher not only makes it easier to learn the theory/technique aspect (and a little less frustrating), but it gives you someone experienced you can go to, in person, if you need help at all. Its also great to be able to watch someone demonstrate the techniques you're developing.
So, I just got my first bass! It's a Fender Squier Affinity Series Jazz Bass. Click here to see it!
But, right now, I'm pretty clueless on what to do, I've been reading all those sites and stuff. But, like, what do I do now? Start playing? I pretty much suck at it YET.
Practice? Practice what?
the first thing you want to work on is getting your right and left hand techniques down.

for right hand you want to use your index and middle finger. Brush them against the strings alternating between them with enough force to make the note ring out but not too much because that's wasted energy

for left you'll probably want to follow the one finger per fret rule. the best place to start this exercise is at the 5th fret. Place your index finger on the 5th fret and pluck the string, then middle finger on the 6th fret and pluck, ring finger on the 7th and pluck and little finger on the 8th fret and pluck. Do that on each string then reverse it on each string so you do this

g-------------------------5-6-7-8-7-6-5-------------------------
d-----------------5-6-7-8---------------8-7-6-5-----------------
a---------5-6-7-8-------------------------------8-7-6-5---------
e-5-6-7-8-----------------------------------------------8-7-6-5-

remember to alternate your plucking fingers aswell. you're not getting the full benefit of the exercise if you only use your index finger.

once you feel you're getting comfortable doing that look at the major and minor scales and some simple songs from the songs to learn thread that was posted earlier
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
the first thing you want to work on is getting your right and left hand techniques down.

for right hand you want to use your index and middle finger. Brush them against the strings alternating between them with enough force to make the note ring out but not too much because that's wasted energy

for left you'll probably want to follow the one finger per fret rule. the best place to start this exercise is at the 5th fret. Place your index finger on the 5th fret and pluck the string, then middle finger on the 6th fret and pluck, ring finger on the 7th and pluck and little finger on the 8th fret and pluck. Do that on each string then reverse it on each string so you do this

remember to alternate your plucking fingers aswell. you're not getting the full benefit of the exercise if you only use your index finger.

once you feel you're getting comfortable doing that look at the major and minor scales and some simple songs from the songs to learn thread that was posted earlier

Thanks, will do.
Also, this may sound stupid but what the hell. What is my fretting hand supposed to do when I 'press' a string down on a fret? Like, say I want to press fret 4, on the E string, do I just press the string down on the 4th fret with one finger?
Oh, and this may sound even more stupid, but... how do I hold a pick? x)
Cheers.
A pictures worth a thousand words

It differs from person to person, but this should give you an idea

And you press down with one finger behind the note (fret) you intend to play. i.e. to play the 4th fret, you press down on the 4th "space" on the fretboard, the area between the 3rd and 4th fret.
Quote by Vertikal
Thanks, will do.
Also, this may sound stupid but what the hell. What is my fretting hand supposed to do when I 'press' a string down on a fret? Like, say I want to press fret 4, on the E string, do I just press the string down on the 4th fret with one finger?
Oh, and this may sound even more stupid, but... how do I hold a pick? x)
Cheers.

ok lets number the fingers on your left hand

index = 1
middle = 2
ring = 3
little = 4
and we don't care about the thumb

1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 3 2 1 4 3 2 1 4 3 2 1 4 3 2 1 

now the bottom line of 1 2 3 4 etc is what finger corresponds to that fret. You use that finger and that finger only to press that fret.

now you press the fret slightly before the fret line so lets have another diagram

[] = the nut (the plastic thing at the far end of the fretboard near the tuners)
| = the fret
the numbers beneath the fret are what number fret it is up the fretboard so 1 will be the 1st, 15 will be the 15th and so on.
x = your finger

[]---x|----|----|
      1    2    3 

so as you can see you want to be placing your finger as close to the fret as possible without it being on the fret itself
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Thanks, you guys really are being helpful.
One more question x) : So, when I use my right hand to pluck the strings, I use my fingers to mute the strings I'm not playing, how do I mute the strings if I'm using a pick?

Edit: I've started learning my first song! It's Seven Nation Army by White Stripes!
Last edited by Vertikal at Sep 25, 2009,