The president of this company - myspace.com/djqproductions - Terry Coughlin, messaged and emailed my band about having us record in one of their studios or have him shop us to some labels. We aren't going to record with them, but I am considering having him shop us around to labels. Obviously, I am wary about sending him money and I basically told him to show what his plans were and that we are very alert to scam artists and people in it to cheat musicians out of money.

Basically, I'm seeing if anyone knows it to be a scam or not. So, anybody know anything?
http://terry-coughlin.memory-of.com/About.aspx

You, sir, may be dealing with...a ghost

Serious: never heard of him. But the site looks pretty legit. Maybe try contacting one of the bands?

OnEdit: After looking at the site, he's managed some pretty successful bands (from what i see in the Alumni section). So i wouldn't say its a scam artist. However, you should still be cautious about jumping onto this; his terms may be a expensive/unfair.

Good luck

OnEdit 2: Upon further look, it seems like this guy sends out messages to all the bands that he friends/friend him (or at least the ones that look like theyre somewhat active). So just be aware that he may not have scoped you out and gone out of his way to try to manage you
Last edited by One on Sunday at Sep 21, 2009,
We did get what seemed like a standard looking for business email from a girl who works with/for him, then when we replied we were talking to Terry which made me feel a little better.

But we are just going to be very cautious. We don't want any type of deal where we pay people a ton in exchange for nothing. We want a manager/label who gets what we are about so we work together, not a one sided deal.
Quote by One on Sunday

OnEdit 2: Upon further look, it seems like this guy sends out messages to all the bands that he friends/friend him (or at least the ones that look like theyre somewhat active). So just be aware that he may not have scoped you out and gone out of his way to try to manage you

That's very suspect.
^well its something that a lot of legitimate businesses do as well (like viral marketing). I do it with my band ("thanks for the add, listen to our music, ect. ect.) You just have to be careful to see which are the actual advertisements and which are the scams.
This site seems pretty legit so I wouldn't worry about it being a con artist.
One thing is messaging somebody who just added you (or the contrary) and saying "thx for teh add, cya", another thing is offering your services as a manager to every band that sends you a request.

That's why I said I thought that was kind of suspect, but well as long as they don't ask you any money, go for it, you have nothing to lose.
Last edited by MikeDee at Sep 21, 2009,
Ok, I got a good e-mail and basically they are an artist development company, sketchy in itself but I think it would help us if we decided we really wanted to push doing this for a living.

We would be driving out to Michigan to work in their studio and record 6 songs. A really cool thing is that he would take the cost of gas out of the studio cost, so it would cost us nothing to drive out to the studio and we could stay there while we tracked. They would also do promo pictures, a myspace layout, and work with us on all the image things involving with being signed. Then he would shop us around to labels.

We are really going to have to check ourselves if we do this. The problem is, the bands they have worked with that are signed are bands I just don't like. They seem really generic and image based, basically sellouts. The only cool thing is they got a band signed to Equal Vision Records, one of our favorite labels. I understand that image is necessary, I just don't know what I think of the image of this company and their bands.
How much are you paying to record yourself in a studio? Is this any different from recording in any other studio?

I would really contact some of the bands that he manages - it sounds like those scams where average looking girls get approached on the street by an "agent" who then charges them for a professional portfolio and then nothing eventuates.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
It is $20-30 an hour, - our driving costs. the studio's page is myspace.com/37studios It sounds looks pretty nice, I didn't read into their gear at all, I just have heard some records made there before that are good sounding.

One of the bands that has done this is on our favorite label and most of them probably won't respond to us, but I can try.
Quote by CODE

One of the bands that has done this is on our favorite label and most of them probably won't respond to us, but I can try.

Contact ALL the bands you can - just get a feeling of what you're in for.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Contact ALL the bands you can - just get a feeling of what you're in for.

Yeah, definitely do that.
Quote by HuckIt
I didn't find it that funny when I saw myself doing him in missionary position...

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I was having sex with a female dolphin. In the dream I was like:
"YEEEEEEEAAAARGH I'M SCREWIN' A FEMALE DOLPHIN!!!" and when I woke up I was like:
"... wtf"
Sorry to bring this thread back from the grave, but wanted to weigh in.

Used to work for the dude back in Cleveland doing concert promotions - good guy, works hard, etc. Doesn't mean he's the right guy for your band, but as a heads up; Terry's real, and I trust the man.

Full disclosure: I did a little bit of PR work for DJQ artist management as a class project in 2012 - we had some communication issues, where I had difficulty getting a hold of people, and then they had difficulty getting a hold of me. There was one press release, and after that, I was so mired in Grad School I didn't really even talk to my family, let alone do pro bono work for these cats.

Anyway, the TLR version - Terry's real, I like him, as with any other business decision, you should proceed with caution.