Okay I was watching this guy talking about re stringing for a FR.

and he said when he changes the strings he put the ball end side on the top (the headstock area) so you woudln't have to cut it off.

My question is, Is this okay to do that?

Thanks.
well you have to trim the part of the wound strings that is not wound. Does that make any sense? Anyway it can be done since thats what my other guitarist does all the time.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
yeah, if you look it's the same as cutting the ball ends off. It's what a lot of people do

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
He is saying, wind the ball end through the tuning pegs then trim the other end to fit. its fine to do
Quote by Ichimaru
Pics? I can tell if someone has AIDS just by looking.

Quote by xHuffyx
BTW, what's metal and full of holes?

Dimebag Darrell.
Seems more hard work if you ask me. You are going to be trimming the other end until it fits in the trem. Personally I wouldn't do this as it's bound to scrape your tuning pegs.
it can be done, but there's a long space in the tip of the strings that has no winding over it (4th, 5th and 6th strings) so you would have to cut that off. And i think that the ball wouldn't fit very well through the tuning peg's hole.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by mikey_360
Seems more hard work if you ask me. You are going to be trimming the other end until it fits in the trem. Personally I wouldn't do this as it's bound to scrape your tuning pegs.

Personally I wouldn't even play my guitar because it might get pick rash or belt rash or something.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Why can't you just leave it so that the balls aren't up at the tuning pegs? That's what I do.
Quote by Schneiderman
Personally I wouldn't even play my guitar because it might get pick rash or belt rash or something.

That's awesome, deserves an LOL stack

By the way, I think the reason someone would put the ball end at the tuning peg would be for tuning stability. It would act like a locking tuner.
This would only be helpfull for single locking tremolos (no locking nut)

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Thread back down the neck through tuning peg and cut the string at the fine tuners, all of them. Its simple, easy and quicker then cutting the ball ends off.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
Thread back down the neck through tuning peg and cut the string at the fine tuners, all of them. Its simple, easy and quicker then cutting the ball ends off.

That is how to do it. I used to do it that way as it is quicker than wrapping the strings, but I don't like the way it looks.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
lol thats the first way i learn how to string up a floyd, soo much easier
Gear:
Jackson SL1 !
Jackson SLS3 w/ bk warpig
ibanez RGA 121 with D sonic and paf pro
peavey triple X with JJ 6L6s and celestion G12k-100
bad monkey
mxr 10 band eq
digitech hardwire dl8
paul gilbert's airplane flanger
I love the balls ends at the tuning pegs, its a cool clean look.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by Schneiderman

SIGGED. Rofl.
Yes.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I cut off the ball ends.....my guitar can't have more balls then me!!!!! I tell it what to do.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ