Hi, im looking for a good bass stack to start playing gigs in. It's my frist time playing live and i need to find a good stack that's loud enough for medium / small gigs, and still has a good tone. I'm looking at the GK backline 600 for now, and it seems pretty good so far. If anyone has a good recomendation for a stack that's good live, or thinks that i should stick with buying the GK backline 600, please let me know.
Thanks in advance

P.S. Im looking for something around $700 or less
Last edited by Noreee at Sep 21, 2009,
inb4 get used.

im in his band.

hes already up for buying used.

we are playing shows with 50-550 people.

im just a lead guitarist and dont know anything about bass amps, so we figured to turn to UG.

please help.

Thanks in advance
My Rig
------------------
Schecter Damien 6 (mod with 81/85 emg)
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Digitech RP250 (for Sale)
Quote by Shpunt
inb4 get used.

im in his band.

hes already up for buying used.

we are playing shows with 50-550 people.

im just a lead guitarist and dont know anything about bass amps, so we figured to turn to UG.

please help.

Thanks in advance

Quite a large gap ya got there. I'm not too informed on big bass amps. I love my Acoustic amp but it might get a bit pricey. They have a 600w head for about 450 USD so just find yourself a cab and your set. I think the Acoustic cabs that big would push you over 700. I've played a GK and it was ok but I seem to recall hearing bad things about the Backline series.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Ashdown Mag300 would be a good bet here,versatile and perfect for this situation and the choice of cab's entirely up to you but your best sticking with the same brand imo.Its a good amp really nice and 300w of power should be able to find one used and be a total steal at the same time :P 300w will get you above your drummer and still cut through well.

But the MAG's a beauty of an amp imo my friend has one and i wish i could afford one
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Isn't Ashdown in the UK? I wanted to buy one but I wouldn't buy an amp without testing it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
yeah i was thinking the Backline was a bit sketchy. any other things we should look into?
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Quote by BladeSlinger
Isn't Ashdown in the UK? I wanted to buy one but I wouldn't buy an amp without testing it.

im sure you can get a hold of Ashdown's stateside.Im pretty sure theres US users on the forum im not entirely sure though.

The company's based in the UK but im pretty sure they do sell them over the pond.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Is there any other bass amps you could recommend besides the ashdown?
Quote by Noreee
Is there any other bass amps you could recommend besides the ashdown?

you read my lips
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
If you're not too concerned about aesthetics, old used Peavey stuff is indestructible, loud, and sounds great. (I personally like the looks too, but many don't)

Some other brands like Carvin and Kustom are usually good deals used, as well.

That said, Carvin will be the best bang-for-your-buck of any brand, but Acoustic will be the cheapest/easiest way to get a solid, gig-worthy amp. Kustom is in between the two...their stuff is a tad more expensive than Acoustic, but has better build quality.
Nope, no sig here.
ashdown mag is sold in the states. and is the best amp to buy around your price range.

but...

Try the Fender Bassman 250 head with a ampeg svt 410 cab if you don't want the ashdown, its a great club venue amp head and the svt is an amazing cab, but from my interpretation of your posts you are obviously going to guitar center so i will recommend the markbass little mark 250 bass amp head with a ampeg svt 410 cab.
Kustom KBA 200. Comes in a 1x15 and a 2x10.

Loudest 200w amp Ive ever heard, its sturdy, and sounds great. Ive used it everywhere from outdoor festivals, to highschool gyms, to friends basements and its always been loud enough.

My band makes a point of it to know songs from all genres, and I can dial in tones for everything from jaco to larry graham to john paul jones