Can anyone offer me the pros cons of the Blackheart Little Giant 5W Tube amp?

I was thinking of picking it up but I dont know if it will be an upgrade from my Vypyr. I know the amp isn't for high-gain stuff but would the overdrive sound better than the OD channels on my vypyr?

Would I be able to get higher gain (for high gain classic rock like AC/DC, Molly Hatchet) at lower volumes if I use a booster pedal such as the TS-9 or BD-2?

My local guitar center doesn't have one in stock, however they said they can order me one. Am I obligated to buy it even if I try it out and don't like it?

Thanks
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
i love mine. i dont get to turn it up much (so i use my CC drive) but when i do get to turn it up its AC/DC in a box.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
i love mine. i dont get to turn it up much (so i use my CC drive) but when i do get to turn it up its AC/DC in a box.

But with a booster does it give you that higher gain at lower volumes?
i keep it on about 3 or 4 pretty much religiously. The drive sounds just like the amp does at max volume. in short its a great clean basis for cranking ot putting FX infront of. does your Vypyr have a line out? you could use the DSP in the vypyr to drive the BH.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
i keep it on about 3 or 4 pretty much religiously. The drive sounds just like the amp does at max volume. in short its a great clean basis for cranking ot putting FX infront of. does your Vypyr have a line out? you could use the DSP in the vypyr to drive the BH.

Just a mini-jack for recording out. I just want to know if I would be able to push the amp at lower volumes because I don't want to drive my parents crazy
sure. something like a digitech bad monkey or a dano CC drive/trans OD can give you good dimed tone at room levels.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

If you're thinking about it strictly for at home practice and/or recording, you might want to look at the Killer Ant as well. I just got one and even that sub-1 watt through a 12" speaker is louder than you would think. Way better than using my 50 watt musicman though and it does sound pretty good.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Mine is great, with an OD I can easily hit older metal.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
I love my Blackheart, but beware, despite being 5 watts it is loud.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Partscaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom

Amps:
Blackheart Little Giant
Jet City JCA20H

Pedals:
BYOC Confidence Boost
BYOC Dist+
BYOC Shredder
GGG Tubescreamer
Zvex SHO
im getting one on wednesday
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
pros:
  • sounds great
  • 3w setting gives good clean headroom
  • doesnt take too much to break up a bit in 5w mode
  • reacts nicely to picking dynamics
  • takes pedals well
  • easy to dial in a good tone

cons
  • gets way too loud to practice at home
  • have to push it to get heavier tones
  • can be a bit thin sounding at times
  • gets very harsh sounding when turned way up
  • wont really do metal (if you are into that)

so basicly its a nice sounding amp for classic rock and some blues (with grit). with an overdrive in front you can get some more drive at lower volumes, but at least a portion of it is going to be from the pedal. an od pedal isnt like a magic "push the amp harder without adding volume" device. however the amp does respond to pedals well.

as for having to buy it if they order it, well think of it this way. GC will order it for you, but you still have that 30 day satisfaction guarentee thing even if they force you to buy it. so you buy it, and then just tell the dude you werent satisfied and want to return it. if they know you are going to do that before hand, they probably wont even bother. so basicly i dont think they can force you to buy it.

oh, and 3 out of 4 clips on my profile were recorded using the LG. only one that isnt is the random noodling one. so if you want to hear some clips of the amp, you can listen to my songs to get an idea of what it sounds like. the "world full of hate" cover uses the 3w mode, the other two use 5w. you can hear some overdriven sounds in one of the sections of "take care of yourself." so if you want to hear it, thats an option.
/shameless plug
the good:
-sounds great
-very loud for a 5w amp (for somet htis may be a con )
-gets a great natural overdrive tones, from a nice bluesy tone, to a classic rock AC/DC-type tone
-almost any EQ will sound great

the bad:
-on the 5 watt setting, higher notes can be very harsh to the ears when the amp is cranked.

Not really the amp to buy if you plan on doing some really high gain stuff, but great for anything from SRV to AC/DC.
Pros:
-Great crunch when it gets cranked (as has been said, AC/DC in a box)
-Great price for what you get
-Solid platform for future mods
-High Quality
-Very responsive

Cons:
-Harsh highs in 5w when cranked. This could, in theory (I have yet to test this though) be helped with a tube change. Anything should be better than the stock Chinese crap.
-Not necessarily a one-trick pony, but this amp is made to be pushed. The cleans are decent, if not good, but don't expect a Marshall-esque drive with Fender-y cleans.

Neutral:
-Gets VERY loud for its wattage (and loud in general). Too loud for bedroom practice without attenuation
-An attenuator will help smooth out the tone significantly. The overdriven highs don't hurt your ears due to the tone suck (which as I said actually helps the tone since it gets smoothed out a bit)

A few notes on what I've picked up from videos and demos and personal experience: The stock tubes HAVE to go. I haven't gotten around to it yet but they NEED to be changed. The stock Chinese tubes are crap.....Some reverb really helps fill out the sound. Check out the demo from Guitar World on YouTube. Its a great tone and the only thing the guitar goes through before the amp is a reverb pedal.

I have one, the halfstack version, which I advise since the speaker that comes stock with a Blackheart is designed for a closed back housing and the combo is open back. All in all, a great, GREAT amp for the price, and buying one could be justified if it was more expensive as well.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Sep 21, 2009,
i have the little giant and the handsome devil... love them both... depending on what you want to do the vypyr might be the only amp you need.... i have a vypyr albeit a small one but i hated it except for the headphone feature. you cant beat it as far as versitility goes without other pedals..if your looking for a great amp to build a pedal board around get the blackheart.. one more thing i would say is just get the handsome devil right away if you can afford it. you can get it to break up much earlier because it has a gain knob... get the hd combo my friend
One con missed out:
No effects loop
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
^It takes pedals very well though. Yes, an effects loop would be nice, but it can deal.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by ragingkitty
One con missed out:
No effects loop

An FX loop is practically useless when using power tube saturation. The whole point is to get FX post distortion.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
love the look of this amp... and ever since I owned that marshal micro stack back in the eighties... I've loved the idea of a micro stack.

had a chance to play both the combo and the full stack the other day...

my impression of the stack was that it has a real nice medium drive sound, but really doesn't clean up well. The had a better clean sound but alas... no drive.

they were looking to give away the stack ($270 i think???)...
IMHO there are a few amps that can do clean AND dirty that you can buy for about that sm price - namely the vintage club series by crate (yes I know they were designed by the sm guy but it seems like the vintage club series offers more options for the price).

to add to that... my buddy has the viper 30 and he swears the thing is awesome...
admittedly it has a few use-able sounds... but most pedals sound like crapola in front of it cause it's input section clips, in fact it clips with an emg85 cranked up(not that I like emg's at all, but this seems like a huge oversight on the part of the peavey folks.

just no substitute for tubes IME.
Last edited by mistermikev at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by mmolteratx
An FX loop is practically useless when using power tube saturation. The whole point is to get FX post distortion.

???

What are you going on about?

An FX loop is an FX loop.

If you want soft clipping, turn up the volume. What has that got to do with having an FX loop or not?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
New Question: What tubes should I replace the stock ones with? From what I'm guessing it doesn't really matter as long as they are EL84's right?