Hey guys...

I know it may sound dumb, but I'm wondering this:

Many people told me that I should get a Peavey Classic 30 and that would suit my style. Okay. They say it's very pedal friendly. Okay.

Now I want to know; to get the tones I want I will HAVE to get metal pedals like a Metal Muff or a Boss MetalCore.

But when you connect all your stuff into this amp (which doesn't have an FX loop), will I run it over my clean channel so when I disable the pedal I will get that clean tone I'm looking for, or must I have to run it through the dist channel so I will...like...I don't know, have more gain to my sound?

This may sound stupid but I'm really wondering...

Thanks in advance!
run it through whatever channel you think it sounds best through
Pissing people off since 1987

ESP/LTD MH 401 Stop tail
ESP/LTD MH 401 Floyd Rose
IBANEZ AM93 TKS
Rivera KnuckleHead Reverb
ISP Decimator
MXR KFK-1 10 Band EQ
Quote by patton686
Hey guys...

I know it may sound dumb, but I'm wondering this:

Many people told me that I should get a Peavey Classic 30 and that would suit my style. Okay. They say it's very pedal friendly. Okay.

Now I want to know; to get the tones I want I will HAVE to get metal pedals like a Metal Muff or a Boss MetalCore.

But when you connect all your stuff into this amp (which doesn't have an FX loop), will I run it over my clean channel so when I disable the pedal I will get that clean tone I'm looking for, or must I have to run it through the dist channel so I will...like...I don't know, have more gain to my sound?

This may sound stupid but I'm really wondering...

Thanks in advance!

Who told you the Peavey Classic 30 doesn't have an Effects Loop? They are wrong.

I own a C30, and it most definately does have an effects loop.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Hey... You would run the FX pedals while the amp is on the clean channel. I you have the pedals on while the amp is on the distortion channel, it would not sound very good at all. However, that is only for OD and Distortion pedals because you can have your chorus, delay, wah etc. on while the amp is on the distortion channel, just not other OD pedals.
depends if you wanna switch channels? i mean if you want to go from distrotion to clean then its easy to run it through the clean channel but then again it might sound better through the dirty channel.......its up to you
Quote by Ichimaru
Pics? I can tell if someone has AIDS just by looking.

Quote by xHuffyx
BTW, what's metal and full of holes?

Dimebag Darrell.
Quote by fonsaceme21
Hey... You would run the FX pedals while the amp is on the clean channel. I you have the pedals on while the amp is on the distortion channel, it would not sound very good at all. However, that is only for OD and Distortion pedals because you can have your chorus, delay, wah etc. on while the amp is on the distortion channel, just not other OD pedals.

i run my distortion on my channel 3 which is a distortion channel ( i use it as a boost ) and it sounds great.
Pissing people off since 1987

ESP/LTD MH 401 Stop tail
ESP/LTD MH 401 Floyd Rose
IBANEZ AM93 TKS
Rivera KnuckleHead Reverb
ISP Decimator
MXR KFK-1 10 Band EQ
Thank you very much guys for the quick answers!

Well, for the dude who says the C30 has an FX loop; I've yet to try one, but from the pics I don't see any in/outs on the backface of the amp? Really it has one? That would solve my problem!

From your experience, with a good OD pedal, do you think I'll be able to get at least mathcore sounds ala Dillinger Escape Plan, Norma Jean and such as?
Not to question your Authority but why are you getting a classic 30 for "mathcore"... whatever that may be.
No wonder I'm not hip to new bands I wasn't any good at math!!! Hahaha lol
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
first, the C30 does have an effects loop. ive got one and i have used the loop before. so that should solve that issue.

as for what to do with the pedals, well that depends on what you want to do and what sounds good. sticking a high gain pedal on an already cranked gain channel usually doesnt sound that great in my experience. however sticking a low to mid gain pedal in front of a gain channel can achieve some very nice sounding results. lots of metal bands (or just bands) use overdrive pedals into a gain channel to tighten up the gain. depends on the pedal and amp of course, but thats one use.

then you can also stick your pedals in front of the clean channel to get the distortion straight from the pedal. if you really like the sound of the pedal, this can be the way to go. it can also get some more lightly driven stuff with an overdrive pedal, think gritty blues here.

i have no idea what mathcore is, but the C30 can do a pretty good metal sound with the gain up on the drive channel and boosted by a good overdrive. may not work for you and you may need to try something else, but thats what ive heard. if it doesnt have enough gain, one other option would be to set the gain channel to a light crunch and use your metal pedal with a more moderate level of gain into that, could work. idk, never tried it since i dont ever play metal.
Quote by patton686
Thank you very much guys for the quick answers!

Well, for the dude who says the C30 has an FX loop; I've yet to try one, but from the pics I don't see any in/outs on the backface of the amp? Really it has one? That would solve my problem!

From your experience, with a good OD pedal, do you think I'll be able to get at least mathcore sounds ala Dillinger Escape Plan, Norma Jean and such as?

The in/outs are not on the BACK of the amp. They are on top with all the volume/tone knobs...
I know it's a strange location, that's just the way they designed it on the C30

They are on the right side, between the Treble Knob and the Power Light.

And yes, it can do metal with a good pedal. This amp works very well with pedals.
By itself without pedals, I would say the hardest distortion you can get would be like what we used to call metal back in the day, like say Black Sabbath.
But any more distortion than that you need pedals.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by nickdohle
Not to question your Authority but why are you getting a classic 30 for "mathcore"... whatever that may be.

Okay, well I'm not getting the C30 to actually play mathcore exclusively, but from what I understand, reasonably priced tube amps that can do metal are not a norm. I play blues, indie rock (think Muse, Metric...), stoner (QOTSA), and I want to be able to get metal tones also.

@jof1029: Thanks for your reply! Mathcore is simply a kind of metalcore with complex patterns and riffs inspired from jazz. Listen to old Dillinger Escape Plan albums and you will understand what I mean.

@jonmo1: Thanks for the pic! Now I do get it. It's really weird they put those in/out

@rdobson2: NP, I'm not a reference in any way Like I said, I play almost anything, but it looks difficult to get a decent and cheap tube amp which can achieve metal tones... That's why I looked toward the C30...any other suggestion?
Also, any suggestion for a "good" metal pedal? I keep reading "get a good metal pedal" but I never see any recommendation
Quote by patton686
Also, any suggestion for a "good" metal pedal? I keep reading "get a good metal pedal" but I never see any recommendation

Well, all you should really need is an Overdrive.
I would suggest an Ibanez TubeScreamer TS9 (or TS808 for a little more $$).

It sounds like metal is a secondary goal for you, so the TS9 should definately be sufficient.

Your best bet really though is to try it out before you buy.
Are you buing from a local store or online?
If you are buying from a local store, you should be able to ask them if you can put a TubeScreamer (and any others you see there that strike your fancy) in front of it and try it out yourself.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
I don't really care if I have to get 2 or 3 more pedals afterwards, it's just that right now I have like 1200$ (canadian) to spend on a guitar and an amp... So I want to get the most out of those two to make sure I will have the most versatile setup for the money...

The TS-9 keeps coming, I will surely get it, even if it's not "hard" enough, I'm pretty sure it will serve me well for smoother rock (than death/core)... What do you think?
The advantage of the TS-9 is that if you hit it on the clean channel you get some crunch to your clean channel, hit it on the dirty channel and you can push your amp harder into metal territories and such.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey