Was at Anderton's (My local music store) today and yesterday and tried a few things, here goes..

AMPS: The things you're intrested in the most really

Blackstar HT5: Pretty good, Does it live up to the hype? It matter's, On UG these things have so much hype surrounding them, that in way's you do feel a bit let down, However let it be said, it is still a fantastic amplifier, Does best with some nice smooth high gain tones, can be quite versatile, not the best for achieving imo a really nice bluesy tone/ country tone, but does good enough to not dissapoint, Is it the best 5 watter? It depends from what you want from your amp, Good enough versatility and smooth high gain with quite good cleans? Yeah, but if you want a real marshall esque tone rocker, The EVA's do seem to be better.

Laney VC50: This one just come in, Pretty damn good to be honest, granted i would get a lower wattage model, as this amp is hella loud. Clean channel was great, could get some real "Bitey" cleans and some big thick lush ones, Onboard reverb was great, and the E.Q was pretty responsive, The light drive it produce gave off a nice indie band kind of on the bridge between overdriven and clean sound, then a nice overdriven tone and a pretty good distortion channel, However, to get the best from this amp, with the way it takes pedals, through a few of them infront, A nice Bad Monkey and a turbo rat and you've covered alot of the pop-rock pallet with a setup under £600. Would definatley consider.

Line 6 Flextone III XL: Fantastic amp, the matchless tone is just brilliant and imo the best one on the amp, Just awesome, Onboard effect's are outstanding and easy to dial in, Any tone you want it does it, and really well, This isn't just a good amp for the price, It's just a good amp, One Second, AC/DC, Then A Devin Townsend esque tone, then a nice big reverby post rock clean. Just makes you think how good the Vetta and HD147 are...

Fender Hot-Rod Deluxe, One note under 500, 40 watt's and classic fender tones, Not as versatile as the Flextone/HT-5, But better tone in what it does, Classic Fender cleans, They're just beautiful, and it takes pedals like a beast, Drive channel is not going to impress metalheads, however i got some nice indie tone's, some good cream-esque blues tone and decent for some light rock/Classic rock with a good OD. Fantastic for the price, and the cleans are wonderful

Fender VM: Holy Crap, Never really heard much about it, and woite it off because of the onboard effect gimmick but really, this is fantastic, More Deluxe reverb like cleans than the HRD, And a much higher gain stage, I mean much higher, Could handle some metal pretty well through some Dimarzio hot rails, and for £500? Best amp i played all day IMO, Haven't heard much so people could disagree with me here :P
Delay was good enough, pretty muddy so not my kind of thing, chorus was good, They are passable to none tone snobs but to people who love they're tone, I would really not rely on these, In a live situation, it may be passable and can mean 2 less effects on the board, which is nice. Diddn't test it with a pedal unfortunatly, but should take them well, And an external E.q qould be a really good idea, as the knobs werent as responsive as i'ld like, but for under £700, you could get a speaker swap and an e.q and maybe change for new valve's...which is appealing...

Next Post: Pedals! (YAY!)
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Last edited by cliff_em_all at Sep 21, 2009,
Nice reviews there.

I didn't even know they made a VC50, I thought those had long been discontinued?

EDIT: Did I post too early?
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 21, 2009,
Quote by TheQuailman
Nice reviews there.

I didn't even know they made a VC50, I thought those had long been discontinued?

Thank you sir.

I haven't seen one before, and it was the old faceplate, but im not too much of a laney fanboy so i wouldn't know really

no mate don't worry, i have a GAS thing for football boots aswell so im looking for a new pair
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

fender VM? which model is that, out of interest?

Other than that, very nice reviews. Have you tried the EVAs? I went with a valvepower instead, as it was cheaper and had power scaling, but would still be interested to hear what you think of the EVAs (assuming you've tried them).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Pedals:

Tried ALOT so bare with me here ha...

First up.. Vox Satchurator

In short, worth £90? No.

In long form? Good for lead's, just diddn't do it for me on the chords, almost seemed to muddy when compared to how Vox advertise it, I would either go for the metal muff W/Top Boost for a cheaper (and better) metal pedal that handles chords and lead's or spend £30 more and get a keeley modified DS-1 (my next review ha). It's passable for like, a £60-65 distortion but really? it seemed The more gain only had a noticable difference with the gain under halfway, and that little switch seemed to do nothing, Granted i tried the keeley before so it would seem worse

Keeley DS-1. Now this is what im talking about, This is just awesome, anything you want from this, If you want to sound like satch without investing loads into your rig, buy this, You can get those Satch/Vai sounds much easier with this pedal than each guitarist's signature pedal (However the Jemini seems pretty good and when i heard someone playing through it, it seemed reallllly good), Don't want that tone? Thats fine, it sounds great for anything distorted really (Apart from like, garage/punk stuff, but there's the Turbo Rat for that ) Handled chord's really well and goes from a transparent like overdrive to full on thick distortion. Definatley worth buying a keeley one/modding your's to keeley specs. HOWEVER watch out for people who are offereing the same mods as keeley's for a damn sight cheaper, as most the time, its not the same.

Small Clone: Everyone knows it, Nirvana in a box yadayadayada, But seriously, best chorus for under £70 new, Goes from a light lovely jangle effect, to a lush sounding 80's chorus, to a full on mental effect when the knobs are high and the depth is on like Incubus would have used when they were still good . I was so happy with it infact, i bought it on the spot.

Digitech Whammy IV: Great pedal, Alot of people see it as a "Niché" kind of thing however, the amount of fun you have with this thing is Chronic, We all know what it does so let me just say, when the trackings done, It sounds perfect, maybe not as good as a WH-1 but is it worth the price difference? I think not.

Devi Ever Disaster Fuzz: This is just the most mental pedal i tried, It was this huge fuzz that was more useable than most will say, I got some really big fuzz from this thing, with the control down i still got the bite but the guitar's/amp's natural tone still shined through, it sounded huge, then up top you can get nintendo snes noises and some outrageous gated fuzz, roll the volume on the guitar back into different positions and you realive there's more to this pedal than you first though. And then there is the self-oscilation switch, Turn it on and all hell breaks lose. Feedback is slowly becoming a good friend of mine everytime i test this. Everytime im in there im so close to buying one.

Devi-Ever Hyperion: The apparent "Big Muff Killer" Does it live up to the hype?

Well...Yes actually, and its better than that, with the control all the way down you get a nice Muff like tone, i turn it up a bit and im in muse territory, and the control is a quarter way at most, turn it up further and it gets madder, more mide more gain more filth, yet still keeps a certain clarity to it, All the way to the top, it bridges on unusable, and i love it, So much infact i also bought it one the spot, It slays the standard big muff, It is basically a muff with more gain and mids, which is alot of people complaint on the muff, it also made me realize just how good the tone on siamese dream is now that i can jam with it.

Next (and last) GUITARS!
Quote by ZanasCross

Quote by Dave_Mc
fender VM? which model is that, out of interest?

Other than that, very nice reviews. Have you tried the EVAs? I went with a valvepower instead, as it was cheaper and had power scaling, but would still be interested to hear what you think of the EVAs (assuming you've tried them).

I was sent a clip from a guy, and it sounded pretty raunchy, however, i haven't tried it myself, but judging from the few clips around, it really could be the best 5 watt under £600 out there, and its handmade.

How are those Valvepowers? I might be off to Uni next year and they seem really, reallllyyy good.

And dave, its this one http://www.fender.co.uk/products/search.php?partno=2220000000
Quote by ZanasCross

Last edited by cliff_em_all at Sep 21, 2009,
^ thanks.

I really like the valvepower, it's great. Especially now it comes with power scaling (they call it VVVR, i assume it's a similar idea) as standard. for the price, it's a no-brainer if you want vintage marshall tone, if you ask me.

and nice pedal reviews, too- except i wasn't much a fan of the small clone, it was a bit dark for my liking. I prefer my tonerider analogue chorus, and it's under £70 too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have the VC50 and yes it is discontinued now

Great amp though.
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12