Is it possible to shove an active pickup into a passive guitar without routing for battery? (do I need any other type of routing?)
you should not need to any routing unless they are a different shap, just do not mix active and passive pickups and ensure you have the right pots
If you can find a space to stick the battery, then yes.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
there's usually room in the control cavity for a battery or two.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I know they need batteries but I'd rather just keep the battery in behind the cover, rather than routing a battery case. Say...stock Ibanez pickups, some Dimarzio in exchange for an active Seymour duncan or EMG?
You should be fine...just find a place for the battery and tape it/fix it in place somehow
ummmm........
Yeah, you can do that.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Don't forget to switch the pots to 25k or so as well.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by NecroticSoldier
why? o.O?

Because the output resistance of an active pickup is vastly different than a passive, so if you use pot values meant to be used with passive pickups (250k, 500k, 1meg, etc), it will sound like ****.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
Because the output resistance of an active pickup is vastly different than a passive, so if you use pot values meant to be used with passive pickups (250k, 500k, 1meg, etc), it will sound like ****.

hehe thanks man, I don't really know my physics/wiring well.
yeah, needs different pots.
you should also consider getting some good passives
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
yeah, needs different pots.
you should also consider getting some good passives

Yeah I do... but the Seymour Duncan Blackout seems mighty strong! while keeping a good clean/low distort sound. I also thought about PAF pros? any suggestions?
You can have both actives and passives like my guitar. I have both 25k and 500k pots, one knob to control the active volume, and another knob for the passive volume
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.