I have a Carvin BX1200 running Dual Mon with a Trace Elliot 1028H and a custom built 1x15 Cab. I get slight clipping/peak once in a while for my 15" and rarely for my 2x10. I have my compressor turned all the way up and my Bass isn't boosted too much, though it is boosted quite a bit. What can I do to prevent this other than turning the volume down? Cuz I kinda need the volume up. Just mess with the EQs and stuff or what?
Guitars
· Ibanez PF · Washburn WG-248 · Ibanez S520Ex
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think having the compressor all the way up leaves it open for more clipping? I'm pretty sure that's how my old amp worked

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Well from what I understand, the compressor makes it so that when you hit the strings hard it won't be as loud. So therefore preventing the clipping, or at least helping. Am I wrong?
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Like I said, I'm not sure, but if I remember rightly, my amp used to clip a lot more whilst the compressor was up. I'd naturally think it'd clip more if compressed due to the peaks breaking the barrier the compressor has set (if that makes sense at all, it's just my thinking on the situation)

Best wait for someone with better knowledge to back me up or correct me mind, it's been a while since I've dealt with compressors and real amps

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
^A compressor cuts down on peaks. It basically stops the bass from going over or undera desired level. Anyway, the solution to this is your drive knob. The drive knob is also known as gain or input volume. It's essentially how much signal you're sending to the preamp. The clip light goes off when there's too much. The way to set it is to play as loud as you ever would play with the drive knob at 0. Continue playing very sharp peaks (if you slap (which is notorious for clipping preamps) then definitely do that) and raise the drive knob until the light starts going off. When it does, back off slightly until it stops.
^ beat me to it. It took me a while to figure out the clip light as well...I thought it was the power amp clipping.
Nope, no sig here.
The Pre-Amp clipping won't harm your amp. It's only bad if your power amp clips.
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3
-Fender Road Worn 50s Precision Bass

Gear I Have:
-Peavey Millennium BXP =]
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
Well, that helps a lot and I'll test it out tomorrow at Practice. So just turn my drive down and pretty much get to my desired volume with just the Master Volume and the Volume for my Cabs?
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
What's the difference between Drive and all the other volumes? On Guitar Amps it's pretty much Distortion/Gain, but what about for Bass?
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
It's the same thing as on a guitar amp. Drive is how much signal you're sending into the preamp. It has some to do with your final volume, buy it's less about volume than it is about how much signal the preamp can handle.
Well, I have my Drive at 1 and I still end up making it Peak sometimes when I pluck the E string. Weird. It clips my Low amp, not my High amp.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
I am very unsure what the issue is then. Are you sending a lot of bass in (i.e. via an onboard preamp)? Is your low crossover controller much higher? I'm not sure exactly how the BX1200 works, but it's possible that they also work as gain controls.
It's just one whole amp, preamp+poweramp. Or something... Haha. I boost quite a bite of Bass on my Bass which uses an Active EQ. The Active switch is also turned on on the Amp. I boost more bass than anything else on my amp as well. Maybe that would be why I guess, but I don't get the sound I want if I turn it down.

It doesn't clip tons, maybe 2-5 times a song depending on the song and mostly only when I pluck the strings with my fingers.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Well it's possible that you're running it too loud, but you'd have to be practicing at high stage volumes for that so it's doubtful. That's weird though, because it sounds like this is what you're describing. I've noticed that the clip light on my BX600 comes on fairl easily as well, despite using little to no drive and a bass that isn't very hot.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
Well it's possible that you're running it too loud, but you'd have to be practicing at high stage volumes for that so it's doubtful. That's weird though, because it sounds like this is what you're describing. I've noticed that the clip light on my BX600 comes on fairl easily as well, despite using little to no drive and a bass that isn't very hot.

So how did you solve your problem? I run the Low volume at around 5.5 and High volume at around 4.5 with my Master at like 7 or something, Drive at 1. Running an 8ohm 1x15 and 8ohm 2x10.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
You may just need to turn down.

I fixed the problem by adding another cab. Your cabs aren't terribly efficient designs, so I can see how you could end up having to push the amp pretty hard.
Nope, no sig here.
Would upgrading to 4ohm cabs be a good fix?
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
that would work fine. you'd be getting more wattage out of each amp without having to push as hard. also. what exactly are your eq settings. maybe you should turn the bass down a bit and also turn everything else down a bit. keeping your tone but lowering the strain on your preamp.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Well, I've been messing around and I'm still have the same problems. My Gain is at 1, Master is at 4.5, Speaker 1 is at 5, Speaker 2 is at 4, Compression at Max. It's speaker one, the one that handles the lows that clips. Speaker 2 never clips. Would it be because I'm boosting too much Bass from the Bass itself?

EQ is Bass +2.5, Low Mids 1.5, Mids -1.5, High Mids -2, Treble -1.5... Then I have a Graphic EQ as well which boosts the lows slightly, cuts the mids slightly, and highs are somewhat even. I have an Active EQ on my Bass by the Active switch on the Amp is on.

It only clips once every so often when I pluck the E string, which I have tuned to C#.

Would it really cause a lot of damage? It clips ever so slightly, just a flash of the LED.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Is this a common problem with carvins? Since reading this post I've been a bit hesitant to buy my br615 combo?
Maybe drop all your settings by .5? It won't change your tone, but it will reduce the power output. I dunno about Carvins specifically.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Gawd, I'm still having this trouble no matter what I do. When I remember and have a chance, I'll snap a picture of my settings to show you guys. My Cabs can handle the output, cuz it's only 275@8ohms. Any new ideas? Haha.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Getting the peak/clip light for a flash is not going to damage your amp. The circuitry is robust and as overload protection. However, I did want to clarify that this amp has ONE preamp going into TWO power amps. Is the clipping only happening on one amp? Are you using crossover? If you're using crossover, and it's only happening on your low amp, then it is probably the input signal. If you're not using crossover, then both power amps are receiving an outputting an identical signal. If one power amp is still clipping when the other isn't, then there is a potential problem with that power amp.
225w then, I forget. But either way both my cabs can handle a lot more than that. I think my 15" can handle 400w and my 2x10 can do 600? I forget that too, ha.

It only clips on my low frequency amp, the 15" cab. I'm using the crossover on it as well. I have a BTB455 and it has an active EQ, so I have the active switch on.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
The same thing happens with my(older) carvin RL1000. No matter what my settings are, if I turn up the volume, my poweramps clip like crazy.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Every time it clips, it just flashes for just a tiny bit. Of course you hear just a bit of Farting coming from the cab from the clipping. But if I don't have my compression at MAX, it clips hard and lasts about half a second.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10