Considering that the world will not run out of wood in my life time; it is safe to say that I have an unlimited amount of cedar, oak, pine, and walnut. Are any of the types of wood okay to use to build an acoustic guitar? Will it sound ok? Will it last? Do anyof these woods break easy? Where do I get started?
LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER
Out of all those id take the Walnut. pine is weak i believe and oak prob not much diff
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7
83 Peavey Patriot Special

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 MKii
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
I do not think we have to worry about running out of any of those woods for a good long time.

Each of those types have there own characteristics.

Cedar is a soft wood.It is some what hard to break but it will crack pretty easy. It is a pretty wood and is easy to work with assuming you are taking it easy.

Pine is also a soft wood. The good thing about it is that it is the cheapest and easy to find. It is easy to work and shape but is not very strong.

Oak. Is a hard wood as with walnut or most trees that shades there leaves in the winter. It is going to cost more and be harder to work with. They are going to be your prettiest of all the woods mentioned. But they will take a lot of wook to sand and shape.

If you are going to build a guitar with no knowledge of working with wood I would say you might want to start with a kit. Try to learn how the pieces go together and then learn how to make them. Cost wise you can get a kit for about the same price you would pay for the unshaped pieces of wood. Walnut and oak cost a pretty penny and one bad cut could cost $75.00 in a hurry.

Good luck I hope you build something and I hope you enjoy the time spent with it...
Quote by NotOneWithNames
Considering that the world will not run out of wood in my life time; it is safe to say that I have an unlimited amount of cedar, oak, pine, and walnut. Are any of the types of wood okay to use to build an acoustic guitar? Will it sound ok? Will it last? Do anyof these woods break easy? Where do I get started?

1) Yes, to a point.
2) Yes,
3) Maybe,
4) Define "easily"
5) Reading

Do lots and lots of reading. On the internet or even in real books. Also, Youtube is very useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvZgZZ7q8QM&feature=related

There is a whole step by step on there by a Canadian guy too...
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by DimeShreder1
Out of all those id take the Walnut. pine is weak i believe and oak prob not much diff

Walnut is pretty.

Pine can be weak, but pine is Spruce and Spruce is what most of teh best Acoustic tops are made of.

Oak weak? Are you mental?
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
1 - Go here: The GB&C Central Hub

2 - Scroll down. Find the link for the "Guitar-building Wood thread". Click it.

3 - Read.

4 - Ask any questions that aren't answered, in that thread.

Thanks
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I have an unlimited FREE supply of the wood I have listed so I'm not worried about the money. If the wood isn't going to work then I don't want to waist my time.
LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER