Well, I've been thinking about buying a new guitar as I've saved about 450 euros and that would be a good way to spend them. But I'm not really sure, so I hope you guys can help me.
I wanna buy a new guitar because my old one is a cheap guitar and it... sucks. High frets usually sound bad, some pickups combinations (it's got a 5 way switch) send a lot of feedbad, not to mention they aren't that good.

Now the most important part. I listen mostly to melodic death metal, some thrash metal and even some other types of metal. Favourite bands are Arch Enemy, CoB, Kalmah, Megadeth and Mastodon. I want a guitar which has an agressive metal sound. From what I've seen, one with humbucker pickups is the best choice. The looks aren't much important.
I play mostly rhythm, but I also enjoy playing some lead. My budget is around 450€ but I think I could stretch it a bit higher.

Now the questions:

1- Which guitar should I buy?

2- I don't use the whamy bar (I've lost the one that I had and didn't even replace it), so is there a point in buying a guitar with locking nut?

3- My amp is a Spider III 30w, should I also spend some money on a new amp? I think I should buy a good guitar now, and a good amp later, rather than a worse guitar and amp at the same time. I play in a band (and we don't rehearsal that much) and I can use my friend's amplifier, so I don't really nead a new one for now.
Do you agree?
I've checked this one and like it, what do you think about it?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-DXMG-Dinky-Electric-Guitar-520315-i1447275.gc

Also checked this one, but it's not as good (price is lower though), but I don't wanna pay more just cause it's Kirk Hammet signature. And think that the one above is better in price/quality, but anyway:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-KH-202-Kirk-Hammett-Signature-Series-Electric-Guitar-105316459-i1399248.gc

@stanrobertsmith:
Well, I don't live near any big city or something, it can be difficult to get an used guitar.

@britishsligean:
I couldn't find much information about rga32, got any more details?

Thanks
Quote by PnT
I've checked this one and like it, what do you think about it?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-DXMG-Dinky-Electric-Guitar-520315-i1447275.gc

Also checked this one, but it's not as good (price is lower though), but I don't wanna pay more just cause it's Kirk Hammet signature. And think that the one above is better in price/quality, but anyway:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-KH-202-Kirk-Hammett-Signature-Series-Electric-Guitar-105316459-i1399248.gc

@stanrobertsmith:
Well, I don't live near any big city or something, it can be difficult to get an used guitar.

@britishsligean:
I couldn't find much information about rga32, got any more details?

Thanks

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_uk.html or http://www.thomann.de/pt/ibanez_rga32mol.htm
Don't bother with floating trem systems as rythm player is my advice, get something with fixed bridge. Also get one with humbuckers, so you won't get so much feedback from the pickups. Other than that go into a shop and try out many guitars to see how well the playability is.

Also you could need a better amp, but if your guitar sucks for not being playable, you should better buy a new guitar.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Don't bother with floating trem systems as rythm player is my advice, get something with fixed bridge. Also get one with humbuckers, so you won't get so much feedback from the pickups. Other than that go into a shop and try out many guitars to see how well the playability is.

Also you could need a better amp, but if your guitar sucks for not being playable, you should better buy a new guitar.

Yeah, I need a better amp but I want to invest in a nice guitar now (which is my priority) and get a nice amp later too, rather than one mediocre guitar and amp right now.
And yes, I will go to shops first to try the guitars. I just want to know what is better for me, so I don't have to try many guitars which don't really fit my style.

Thanks for the advices

@JELIFISH19

FR1620 Review:

Overall rating:
Users rating:
Comments:

And in Guitar Center it says it's about 1200 USD. And I read in the reviews comments that it is about 1800 in some countries. That's too much, and don't think it would be a good deal.

@britishsligean

Thanks for the links
Last edited by PnT at Sep 22, 2009,
Floyd will give you more tuning stability, not just cool tricks. Schecter Hellraiser C-1, it's available string-thru or with a FR, your pick. You might have to stretch your budget a bit, but it's worth it, it's a great guitar for the price. Be sure to try it out first, some people don't like the neck, although I found no problem with it.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Zoso1994
Floyd will give you more tuning stability, not just cool tricks. Schecter Hellraiser C-1, it's available string-thru or with a FR, your pick. You might have to stretch your budget a bit, but it's worth it, it's a great guitar for the price. Be sure to try it out first, some people don't like the neck, although I found no problem with it.

From what I've read, it seemed a good guitar, I'll give it a try if I can.

By the way, what are the disadvantages of a floating tremolo? JesusCrisp told me not to bother to buy one, but I don't know much about that topic, so I would like to know a bit more.

Thanks for the help
Floyds are better suited to lead playing.
You can do divebombs and stuff. I don't think that it's a problem if you have a Floyd, but it makes things more difficult. changing strings take longer and also setting up the guitar after a tuning change is harder.
But if you want one, it's your choice. Most rythm guitarists use fixed bridges.
You don't need to do the tricks with it, if you want more tuning stability without trem tricks, just block the trem to stop it from floating.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
No problem.
Also note that guitars with good floating tremolo systems are more expensive than fixed bridge guitars.
And most of the cheaper licensed systems go out of tune quite fast and stuff.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Yeah, I figured it out that a fixed bridge would be cheaper than a floating one.

Think I will buy a guitar with fixed bridge then
So, today I went to a music to try some guitars. Unfortunately, prices are higher than I was expecting and the guitars I had in mind are more expensive than I thought

Tried some cheap Cort, and a Peavey guitar, but didn't like them.
Also tried an Ibanez RG350EX and a Cort Evl K4. I liked both, but prefered the Cort sound (and it's looks too). I just noticed that it felt like it was easy to play on the Ibanez, but I think it would be easy to adapt to the Cort Evl K4.

Ibanez was 460€, with IBZ INF4/INFS3 Single/IBZ INF3 pickups, while Cort was 400€, with 2 EMG HZ H4 humbuckers. Both had floating bridge, but they only had cheap stuff with both fixed bridge and humbuckers.

What do you guys think would be a better deal?
Floyds on cheap guitras may not be a good choise, because most of them is licenced. Fixed bridges are cheaper, so you will get more sound and quality for the price.

EDIT: Try both of them above with an amp and compare.
Last edited by GisleAune at Oct 2, 2009,
I'd like to throw in an option to the pool. The Jackson RR3 is amazing for metal. Their list price ranges from about 700 US Dollars to 1100 US Dollars but our guitarcenter was having a clearance sale and they went for as low as 300-650 US Dollars. Amazing deal. RR3's have a floating bridge system tho. If you plan on changing tunings a lot and don't have another equivalent guitar that can change tunings, then I wouldn't go for it.
I think I will go to one or two more music stores nearby to check what they have. I'd prefer to buy a guitar with a fixed bridge, but I don't change tunings a lot, so I could do it with a fixed one.

@CrimsonSwirl

If I find that guitar, I'll give it a try, it definitely looks sweet
Just hope it is available for less than 500€, I don't think I can waste more than that.

Thanks for the help
So, I'm just about to get the Cort Evl-K4 I talked about. Was about to get it yesterday, but it wasn't tuned and the guy at the store told me it could be sent to Lisbon, to be set up at the main store, for free.
I accepted it, since I don't need it urgently, and prefer to wait a bit longer but have it decently set up.

Funny thing at the store, I was playing it yesterday, to check a thing, and some brazilian guy asked me if it was mine. I found it kinda funny, I guess he didn't think you are allowed to try guitars in a guitar store. Also, it still had it's price attached to it