Poll: See thread
Poll Options
View poll results: See thread
Good deal?
17 77%
Bad deal?
5 23%
Voters: 22.
I've been looking to trade my amp or sell it and get another one for a long time. The circumstances have turned out that I've found a local trade: My Marshall Bluesbreaker for a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier.

I play thrash metal, shred, death metal, metalcore, classic rock, blues, jazz.

I want to be able to get tons of gain, heavy and tight low end, a 'smorgasbord' of tones
Influences: Megadeth, Metallica, Paul Gilbert, BTBAM, Dream Theater, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Randy Rhoads.

A lot of them seem to use Mesa's and Mesa Dual Rectifiers.

So, good deal or bad deal?
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by thrasher.
You could sell that Bluesbreaker, buy a dual rec and have cash left over.

This
yeah i agree with everyone else

your trading a ten point amp for a 9.5 amp
get the $$$
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Quote by Junnage
I want to be able to get tons of gain, heavy and tight low end, a 'smorgasbord' of tones

Sounds to me like you'll have a problem there, unless it's a 2 channel Recto.

Did you see in one of the 5150 threads you posted in at HC that someone replied to your post saying they have the head and cab they'd trade you?

Quote by thrasher.
You could sell that Bluesbreaker, buy a dual rec and have cash left over.

No you couldn't... The Recto is worth more.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Sounds to me like you'll have a problem there, unless it's a 2 channel Recto.

Did you see in one of the 5150 threads you posted in at HC that someone replied to your post saying they have the head and cab they'd trade you?

No you couldn't... The Recto is worth more.

If we are talking about a head and cab, it might be equal or a little more, but I see Dual Recs go on CL here for about $800-$1000 regularly. I've seen a Bluesbreaker sell for $1250.
Quote by thrasher.
If we are talking about a head and cab, it might be equal or a little more, but I see Dual Recs go on CL here for about $800-$1000 regularly. I've seen a Bluesbreaker sell for $1250.

Bluesbreakers sell pretty regularly on eBay in the $900-1000 range. Dual Rectos are about $1000-1200.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
To clarify:

It's a mid-90's 2 Channel Dual Rectifier.

I did not see the HCAF thread about the 5150 amp+cab trade.

I'd rather not deal with money, and would prefer to go for a straight up trade.

MatrixClaw knows what's up also with the prices. Recently, I do not know why, right when I tried to sell/trade my amp, Bluesbreakers price tanked a bit. It bites, but I still need to get a Mesa Boogie Dual/Triple Rec or Mark IIC+/IV A.S.A.P. for the shows that I'm going to be playing soon. Some got canceled, but my band's drummer booked more. WTF
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
bump
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Do it. The Bluesbreaker doesn't sound much up your alley. I think you'll be more satisifed with the Recto and that's a great deal.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
the recto should give you the tone you want. and if it's a bit too loose at first, make sure you're using the silicon diode mode, and perhaps get a cheap-ass OD pedal
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
the recto should give you the tone you want. and if it's a bit too loose at first, make sure you're using the silicon diode mode, and perhaps get a cheap-ass OD pedal

Got an expensive ass Ibanez Jemini that is a great pedal
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Oh, I just looked on Harmony Central and nobody wants to buy this guys Bluesbreaker. I'd take the trade, it'll suit you better anyways.
Quote by thrasher.
Oh, I just looked on Harmony Central and nobody wants to buy this guys Bluesbreaker. I'd take the trade, it'll suit you better anyways.

Hahah yeah that's me.

I found a guy on craigslist though. He's a local. But he's in Barcelona at the moment.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Quote by Junnage
Hahah yeah that's me.

I found a guy on craigslist though. He's a local. But he's in Barcelona at the moment.

Oh okay.

Is the guy in Barcelona the one with the Rec?
Quote by thrasher.
Oh okay.

Is the guy in Barcelona the one with the Rec?

Yeah. But he lives in New York City. Just in Barcelona on vacation. once he returns and we sort out all the details, I hope to finally say a final goodbye to my amp.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Quote by MatrixClaw
Bluesbreakers sell pretty regularly on eBay in the $900-1000 range. Dual Rectos are about $1000-1200.

depends on your market... i see dual rec halfstacks, cab included, for 800-900 on a regular basis.

that said, an early 90's two channel dual rec is one of the best amps ever made by Mesa IMO. if you're not into the bluesbreaker, TS, I'd say this is the deal you've been looking for.
I don't know if I'd go for a Dual rec for a tight metal tone. If you can find someone who wants to trade for a Mark III or IV, then yeah, but I'm not to sure about a recto for that kind of stuff.
Quote by imgooley
I don't know if I'd go for a Dual rec for a tight metal tone. If you can find someone who wants to trade for a Mark III or IV, then yeah, but I'm not to sure about a recto for that kind of stuff.

not a Dual Rec... an early 90's 2ch. Dual Rec!
Quote by GrisKy
not a Dual Rec... an early 90's 2ch. Dual Rec!

Dual Rec is dual rec

I'm not going to lie and say that I know the differences between a 2 and three channel, but I've not found any Solo rectifier head to be tight, really. And for what they go used, I'd personally rather have a Mark or VHT Delieverance or something

If it's the tool for you, though, more power to you.
Quote by GrisKy
depends on your market... i see dual rec halfstacks, cab included, for 800-900 on a regular basis.

Interesting, I've seen 2 channels sell for that much just by themselves a year or so back, but nothing that ridiculous. The cab itself is worth half that

There are a lot of things that sell a lot cheaper here than in other places as well though, but I'm just going by the price they usually sell for online as that's where the majority of deals are going to happen with higher end gear
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah. I'd prefer an ENGL Powerball to the 90's 2 Channel Dual Rectifier, but i can't find a Powerball that someone would be willing to trade, which makes me sad. However, I'd still be a very happy boy if I traded for one of the Dual Rectifiers.

Oh yeah:
Quote by GrisKy

that said, an early 90's two channel dual rec is one of the best amps ever made by Mesa IMO. if you're not into the bluesbreaker, TS, I'd say this is the deal you've been looking for.

WHERE!?!?!??!
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
central TX

EDIT: and yeah, those are pretty sick prices... idk?

...and not all dual recs are created equal, particularly ones from the early 90's... Mmmm... early 90's Mesa...
Last edited by GrisKy at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by GrisKy
central TX

EDIT: and yeah, those are pretty sick prices... idk?

...and not all dual recs are created equal, particularly ones from the early 90's... Mmmm... early 90's Mesa...

Can I have some links to the dual recs in Texas?
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
http://austin.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=Mesa&catAbbreviation=msg&minAsk=&maxAsk=

that's just a snapshot of what happens around here... there's like 50 hits for Mesa in the past month in Austin alone... first place I looked to give you this post. new one just went up today, asking 1400 w/ cab or to trade for a JVM (wtf). EDIT: yeah, that's a little more than I said, but be patient, they pop up under a grand around here like it's no big deal.

incase the link doesn't work, craigslist-->Texas-->Austin-->Musical Instruments for sale, search bar "Mesa"

might also want to try places in East TX, Houston, Baytown, etc.
Last edited by GrisKy at Sep 22, 2009,
bump
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6