Hey Pit, not sure where to put this, but here seemed best fit.
So its that time where we're supposed to start looking at what we want to do with our lives after high school, and im considering going into some kind of music field. Im not sure yet whether its going to be performance, education, recording tech, building, etc., but im fairly certain that music is the route i want to pursue.
Have any of you followed this route as well? If so, where did you go and which profession/degree did you choose? And how did it work out?
Thanks!
Competetive stuff. Best of luck man.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Music Industry! I'm sitting in History of Rock right now watching Beatles movies. My homework in other classes involves learning copyright law and analyzing the web sites of Roland, Remo, etc. Basically the best major EVER.

Edit: I'm in my third year, and it just keeps getting better. I've already starting pursuing my career of Artist Management, even though it's on a small level right now.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Good luck man. I plan on following that path in the future as well. Not sure what I wanna major in though. Preferably performance or building.
Quote by Venice King
Competetive stuff. Best of luck man.

Ha thanks, we'll see how it goes.

And Sid, does it look like you'll find a decent job once you're done? And are there things like internships and apprenticeships later on? Also, where do you go? Just to get an idea of what schools to look into further, of course.
Quote by ambercult3
Ha thanks, we'll see how it goes.

And Sid, does it look like you'll find a decent job once you're done? And are there things like internships and apprenticeships later on? Also, where do you go? Just to get an idea of what schools to look into further, of course.

Well it depends on how hard I want to work! I have all of the necessary tools to make a living for myself right now if I bust my ass, I can be totally self employed. There are tons of internships, I haven't picked one yet but I've gone through a few ideas. I'm trying to pick a label that I'd want to spend a few months with. I go to SUNY (NY Public/State School) Oneonta in upstate NY.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
Well it depends on how hard I want to work! I have all of the necessary tools to make a living for myself right now if I bust my ass, I can be totally self employed. There are tons of internships, I haven't picked one yet but I've gone through a few ideas. I'm trying to pick a label that I'd want to spend a few months with. I go to SUNY (NY Public/State School) Oneonta in upstate NY.

Ha thats awesome, thanks for the help. Which route do you think youll go, self-employed or work for an established studio/label? My dream job right now would be to open a studio in my hometown and give the music scene around here a real shot, but i dont know enough yet to know if its even feasible.
Well since I'm going into artist management, I'm going to look for an established firm that works with the level/genre of musicians I'm interested in. I'll probably run the self-employed route until I get the perfect job. Or I'll settle for the first firm to offer me a position, for healthcare reasons.

If you want to open a studio, you need to give some SERIOUS consideration to your local demographic. The way technology has progressed, anybody can afford to make quality recordings in their basement. Those people are not going to pay to use your pro studio. You're also going to have to branch outside of musical groups if you want to make any profit, or even break even for your work. Do some recordings for visual arts (TV, movies, etc) and other stuff like that.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Yeah, thats why i was a little skeptical about it already. I'm sure id have to definitely do more than just music, like you said. But so far its still only an idea. I think artist management would be sweet too, but who knows. Has anyone gone more along the lines of building/luthier?