You need to edit your posts for things like that, not post again.

Anyways, I have that bass, and it's not the bass itself, I can tell you that much. It can get a pretty good low-end sound, but it isn't just the bass. I can't help above that, I've always been into a more treble-and-mid tone.
Last edited by herby190 at Sep 21, 2009,
Play with a pick at the bridge and seriously boost the low mids.

Also I think he's using the split coil pickup.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Sep 21, 2009,
Indeed. He's using an Ibanez GSR190, which has a split coil neck pickup.
Also, Rayshon, I saw your comment asking how much the guy's setup costs on youtube. GSR190 seems to be a little hard to come by, but it's an inexpensive bass, I see some used for $120-130, and GSR200 goes for $200 new.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Quote by grifff

Buy a Warwick.

+1
Instruments:
Warwick Corvette $$ natural
Steinberger 5 string fretless
Gibson Les Paul Robot
Fender Stat
Quote by grifff
Boost the low mids.

Buy a Warwick.

Um..low mids? I only have a B-52 bass amp and I have no idea how to do that at all. There is a MID dial though and I turn that all the way up. But I guess I should google some of this terminlogy eh xD

Thanks though everyone

Also arent warricks like 2 thousand dollars

EDIT:Okay after 30 min of googling I now know what pickups are. Are they expensive? Can they be replaced with any guitar? I have a Washburn B-10 and I dont know what the knobs do because this bass was used so there was no BASS or TONE on the knobs

Meph and Spaz, thanks
Last edited by rayshon at Sep 21, 2009,
a mid dial as in "mids" for your EQ or as in like a "contour"/"shape" of mids. If it is like an EQ dial, just turn that up a bit. If it is a contour, turn it to like 11 o clock or something.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by rayshon

EDIT:Okay after 30 min of googling I now know what pickups are. Are they expensive? Can they be replaced with any guitar? I have a Washburn B-10 and I dont know what the knobs do because this bass was used so there was no BASS or TONE on the knobs

Meph and Spaz, thanks

I should hope that your bass already has pickups.

I you only have a three band eq (three knobs on the amp) then turn the bass to 1 o clock, mids to 3 o clock and keep the treble at 12. Turn all the knobs as far left (while holding it).
To the TS, don't triple post or double post for that matter. I've edited for you, but in the future, there's an edit button for a reason.

Growl? A touch of distortion and boosting the mids can help.
If your amp has a gain and a volume knob you can try turning the gain way up and the volume down. That way you can overdrive the amp a little without damaging the speakers.

Also, really dig in with your fingers right between your neck and bridge pick ups. Maybe slightly towards the neck side.

Lots of bass and mids is going to help
Sounds to me like he has the lower mids up, but also sounds like a slight bass overdriver / distortion.

I have a bunch of distortion settings on my ME-50B that I never use but mess around with occasionally. Thats sort of what they sound like..

Its almost pointless for me to use it though, I can hear it when im playing by myself but when im playing with the band it still just sounds like bass.. so why not have a good clean bass tone instead of a distorted one.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Spaz91
I should hope that your bass already has pickups.

I you only have a three band eq (three knobs on the amp) then turn the bass to 1 o clock, mids to 3 o clock and keep the treble at 12. Turn all the knobs as far left (while holding it).

Quote by lordofthefood1
a mid dial as in "mids" for your EQ or as in like a "contour"/"shape" of mids. If it is like an EQ dial, just turn that up a bit. If it is a contour, turn it to like 11 o clock or something.

Yeah my bass has pickups lol but I doubt theyre split coil or whatever its called. IDK which knob does what though lol. I'll post pictures of everything in a bit

EDIT: Picture Timeee

Last edited by rayshon at Sep 22, 2009,
The switch on your bass could be one of two things. Mind its not very common.

It could be a pickup selecter, Up position being ONLY your top pickup, middle position being BOTH your pickups, and bottom position being ONLY your bottom pickup.

If the switch only switches up and down with no middle, then its a active/passive selecter. Which means your pickups have batteries and your using them to boost your tone when you have the switch in the active position.

Since you have 3 knobs, its likely that one is tone control, one is volume for the top pickup, and one is volume for the bottom pickup. This isnt for sure though, they could be bass knobs and treble knobs as well. Theres no way for us to know.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Vypor
The switch on your bass could be one of two things. Mind its not very common.

It could be a pickup selecter, Up position being ONLY your top pickup, middle position being BOTH your pickups, and bottom position being ONLY your bottom pickup.

If the switch only switches up and down with no middle, then its a active/passive selecter. Which means your pickups have batteries and your using them to boost your tone when you have the switch in the active position.

Since you have 3 knobs, its likely that one is tone control, one is volume for the top pickup, and one is volume for the bottom pickup. This isnt for sure though, they could be bass knobs and treble knobs as well. Theres no way for us to know.

The switch goes up down AND middle so that might be true..I guess ill have to research for the knobs, lol.

If they are bass and treble, which should I use (and what amp knobs) to get the growl bro?
out of curiosity is that an Aria IGB35 its bout the double of mines with the pickups,bridge and knobs for tone vol n stuff.Also the lead input is the exact same spot.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
If you have a pickup selector/blend knob, try perhaps favouring the neck pickup just a little bit. You'll get a bit more punch in your tone.
Hi.
Quote by David12390
If you have a pickup selector/blend knob, try perhaps favouring the neck pickup just a little bit. You'll get a bit more punch in your tone.

K, i'll try that

Quote by Razgriz_101
out of curiosity is that an Aria IGB35 its bout the double of mines with the pickups,bridge and knobs for tone vol n stuff.Also the lead input is the exact same spot.

Nah it's a Washburn B-10
To get a bass to growl:

1) Use a relatively new set of strings. I recommend the Marcus Miller DR strings.
2) Pluck as close to the bridge as possible--either by pick or with fingers.
3) Solo the bridge pickup if you can. The midrangey tone of the typical bridge pickup is what produces the essential growl tone.
4) The bridge pickup must have 4 or 8 pole pieces--not the blade. The magnetic field under each string must be focused in this manner to get that tone. The blade pickups can sound hot, but they will not growl.
5) If you are extremely daring--you must take apart your bridge pickup and place between the coils and the magnets several layers of transformer steel. There is one pickup I know that has this--the Hagstrom Bi-Sonic pickups from the Guild Starfire basses of the late 60s. The layers of transformer steel saturate the signal, giving it an edgier tone. You can also check out Hammon Engineering's website for their faithful replica of this "Holy Grail" of the bass pickup world. They call it the Dark Star pickup--and it is well worth the money. If you get a chance, listen to the snippets on their website. To me, it is the perfect tone for bass.
6) Try experimenting with adding additional magnets under the pickups. Don't use rare earth magnets--as they are too powerful and can kill the string vibrations--just find some alnico magnets at Radio Shack and place them under the pole pieces in the pickup cavities. It will boost your volume somewhat and will color your bass' sound.

Good luck and never stop experimenting!
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!