48 24%
42 21%
35 18%
34 17%
19<
31 16%
Voters: 200.
Page 1 of 2
At what age did you yourself pursue music and new artists on your own? I'm not talking about how at 5 when your parents told you about their passionate love making to Rolling Stones CDs, or the time your babysitter played alternative rock for you when you were 8.

I was late, didn't get really into music outside of pop/rock until I was 14.
Clicked all of them.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
15, i started guitar then got interested in music

why i wanted to play guitar without an interest in music, i'll never know
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Clicked all of them.

Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
12, I guess. That's when I downloaded my first few songs (usually of the pop punk and classic rock variety) off of limewire.

I'd say I started an "active" interest last year. That's when I started listening to whole albums.
I think roughly in grade 5/4 when I started taking guitar lessons. So I would be around 10 I think?
Around 14 when I bought guitar hero and I learned about many new bands, shortly after I bought a guitar which helped me find even more bands
Well, thank god, my parents kept me away from pop/hip-hop, and was always interested in classic rock. Then I kind of evolved musically and started listening to jazz and metal, even though I still listen to classic rock, I've just branched off. Feels good, man.

I played trumpet since sixth grade and I learned a bit about music from that, but I never really cared about it.

I always wanted to learn to play guitar, and I had some extra cash at the time, so I bought a guitar and really became interested in music from that point on.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
I was... I think.... 12. My mom knew three chords on her guitar, and that got me interested. I soon mastered the E, G, and A chords, then asked my mom to sign me up for lessons.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
I was forced to start playing piano when I was 5 or 6, and I resented it for a few years, but eventually I warmed up to it and started tinkering around on my own
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
When Rage Against the Machine-Battle of Los Angeles came out, so 1999. I would have been 11.

That was when I really became passionate about music. I had some interest before that, but not a whole lot. 1999 was really the year that things got started for me.

The Offspring-Americana and Blink 182-Enema of the State both contributed around the same time as well.
i took a liking to punk rock at the prime age of 10, but didn't play anything until i turned 14
Quote by stinger12345
Because the Bay Area is the ****.

Quote by RockGuitar92
I'd be like "wtf, bro?" Then I'd promptly ice the bitch.
when i was a baby my dad put on Beatles records, and instead of nursery rhymes, i learned those songs. Octopus' Garden was my favorite back then. then when i grew up and figured out it was such a silly song, i actually relistened to all the albums. i was into sports as a kid though. when i hit 12 i liked all the mainstream and classic rock. 13 alternative. 14 metal. 15 metal. 16. classical, hiphop jazz 17. still looking for more awesome music.
According to my parents, when I was really young I'd cry and not sleep until they'd play music... Other than that I got my first guitar at like age 9
as far back as i can remember. there are videos of me in my diaper dancing in the kitchen to my dad's RHCP album and throwing uncooked spaghetti noodles everywhere.

"gih-uh-way gih-uh-way gih-uh-way now!"

my dad gave me his nirvana unplugged CD when i was about 5 along with an elvis CD he bought for me. around then i also really liked classical music. first CD i bought for myself was at 7 and it was the wallflowers - bringing down the horse. dad took me to their concert when they toured to support the album. great times.
#DTWD
It depends. I got my first tape walkman when I was 7, and since then I've been listening to everything, and I started learning my first instrument (recorder) when I was 6.. since then my tastes, styles and instruments have changed immensly through a million and one different variations.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
since the dawn of time itself.
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
I can't remember when I didn't have an interest in music. I was always listening to the radio when I was a kid. I think I first taking an independ interest in music when I was about 11 and the whole "American Idiot" thing was going on.
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
started guitar at school at 7. first gig was The Fall at 11.
I was 7 I think. So I just picked the lowest option on the poll.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
i started with elvis when i was about 8 and couldn't stop listening to him. Thats when i started properly listening to msuic
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
I selected all of them, just because I could.

EDIT: When I was 7 I was listening to Eminem.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Last edited by LezPaulEpiphone at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by genghisgandhi
this would be a good thread if there was not a multi choice poll

This x1000

I was probably 13-14 at the time, all I listened to was Pink Floyd, Megadeth/Metallica, and The Misfits/other punk bands. lolol. The only of them I listen to anymore on a regular basis is Floyd.
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
Probably 16/17 when I properly got into Radiohead, then Tool and some math-rock in the couple of years after, along with Aphex Twin and stuff.

Before it was just MIllencolin and pop-punk kind of bands.
Age 5, I listened to the Beatles. Loved everything they did, aside from Yellow Submarine. My favourite track back then was Blackbird.

When I was older and took an active part in playing music, I really got into Classical. Beethoven is still to this day one of my favourite composers, although technically not classical.

About 13/14 I started to get into Rock. At first it was really awful stuff. The most metal I listened to was HIM. Then my friend introduced me to Slipknot. I got into Korn and then into more unconventional metal.

Now aged 17, my tastes vary from smooth Jazz to ACDC to Cannibal Corpse to Shostakovich. I love pretty much all music, aside from commercially driven tripe and music made with little or no creative process (A drum beat and a bloke talking over the top etc.)
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
I voted for everything.

But still, when I was ten, thereabouts. 2003 was the year I discovered Muse, Linkin Park, The Offspring, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Lostprohets. They were probably my first 'favourites'.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Page 1 of 2