Hello everyone. At my school I have this class called grad project where you have to do whatever you want pertaining to a career that interests you. I'm interested in electrical engineering and since i love playing guitar i thought why not make an electric guitar. I would get the guitar body and neck at my local guitar shop, but my one question I have is where would I go to get the hardware for the electric guitar? Any help would be appreciated.
guitarpartsonline.com you can get bridges, pups, and even premade bodies and kits. haven't used the site but have heard good reviews
Gear:
Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0
Alesis DM6
Two Colling's acoustics (my dad's)
Ibanez SoundGear bass
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Ovation 12-string (also dad's)
Sony 5.1 system
I would get the harware online. You should find most of the things you need but if you can't order online, go to your local shop and see if you can order parts off of them but it probably gonna be more expensive. BTW nice choice in project cause that is what me and my one friend are doing for our senior projects.
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll have to check out that site. And yea that idea just seemed so good to me because it seemed like something that I would enjoy doing. Anyone else have any other information?
Quote by Invader Jim
check out the central hub sticky, then click the link to the ultimate resource thread. there is a wealth of info in that thread.

Thanks for the info Inavder Jim.
yeah, for hardware and p-ups online is probably a cheaper option.
also, i agree, its a great choice of project
nick_b is currently obsessed with:
Pokemon
Pinch Harmonics
12/8 timing
7/8 timing
Lamb of God
Rise Against
Regina Spektor
Dream Theater
and many others...
If its an end of year project, surely assembling a guitar is a little too, should I say, easy? I mean, it doesn't take much work to assemble a body, a neck and the hardware (like less than a day)
i can build a guitar (from parts, not soldered, ect)
in abot 2 hours (with it tuned and ready to play, the tuneing might take a while longer to settle tho.)

thats if there isnt any thing bad like if something didnt fit, ect.

so yes +1 to "its a little easy, dont you think?"
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Build the body yourself, and throw some cool electronics in there. A Kit build isn''t nearly as satisfying as building your own.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Why not build a guitar now, and make an amp for the end of year project? It's certainly more in line with your career choice, as well. If you want to be really awesome, make your own cables and your own pedals if you want to use any, then you can just say "Everything between the wall outlet and my hands was made by me."
I only have until the middle of november to make it, plus a written paper, power point, and movie to go along with a 45 minute grad project presentation, so I know it may seem easy, but most of the time will be spent putting the project together instead of just the guitar, plus i need to research something related to the subject.

EDIT: btw its only a one semester course, not a full year.
Quote by bv310
Build the body yourself, and throw some cool electronics in there. A Kit build isn''t nearly as satisfying as building your own.

I don't plan on using a kit, but I don't have the time or materials to make the body and neck, so all I'm buying that's already made is the body and neck.
Guitar fetish has good quality parts.Any idea of what body style you might want?
Quote by savage94
Guitar fetish has good quality parts.Any idea of what body style you might want?

I'm thinking a strat body, but that all depends on what they have available at the shop, because i don't have the materials needed to make a body and neck. But i'm aiming towards a strat body.