Mkay, so I'm off to University next year and I'm going to need to buy a laptop.
I'm thinking i can kill two birds with one stone and set it up for recording as well.

Budget would be about 1800AUD for the laptop. Problem is I hear that all the major brands are pretty iffy warranty wise and lack reliability. I'm not enthused about having my equipment breakdown while I'm using it.

specs i was thinking 2.4ghz+ processor, 2gb+ ram and apparently firewire is a must, unless everything I've been hearing about USB2.0 is bogus propaganda. I'm more familiar with windows but if the benefits to running a mac are considerable I would gladly learn.

Anyway, i was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as to a make and model of laptop with reliability within these specifications. Or would it be more wise to build/have one built.

Thanks for your time.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
First I'd say wait till next year when you will absolutely be needing it. For what you're willing to pay now you can get something that's twice or even 3 times as better for half the price. If you must have one now I'd say go for an HP pavillion Laptop or a Dell Vostro Laptop. If you are going to be running vista make sure it's at least a Dual core processor. A single core at 2.4 GHz will barely run a good audio program, on vista. If you're going to get Windows 7 or revert to XP pro it won't be that big of a deal. For RAM definitely get at least 4GB. It takes 2Gb to barely run vista let alone a few other programs. Also I would say get a desktop instead because you can get a lot more for your money, but choose what you will. IF you got any other questions feel free to ask.
whole purpose is a laptop for uni. Atm, the Australian government is trying to give a laptop to every school student so i get between 500 and 1000AUD off, as soon as i finish school, that no longer applies. I don't particularly like vista, if i were to buy a Dell, they're giving people free Windows 7 when it comes out. But i hear bad things about Dell's reliability.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive