I will have to admit, I dont know if most of the tab requests I am seeing in here are METAL bands, but from the band names I am seeing like: August Burns Red, Behemoth, Firewind, and Orius: these all just sound very metal. (And upon further research on Last.fm I confirmed that these were metal bands). My question is, are metal band songs particularly difficult to learn to play (which may account for their frequency having tab requests) or is it that more people wanna learn to play metal songs or are there not a lot of people tabbing these metal songs?
metal is in general more challenging then most other music with the exception of blues/jazz and classical

also a large portion of UG'ers are metal heads to some extent, though not exclusively into metal
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
this is a guitar website... the majority of metalheads generally tend to be musicians as well, what do you expect?
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
not to mention, metal guitar is generally more technical (at least one part usually). This causes metal genre to be more consistantly challanging than other genres (rock and a lot of punk are generally 4 chords rythem and a basic lead parts which can get boring or picked up rather easily).

I think alot of the tabs requested are metal because this is what people are having trouble with learning.
A good chunk of the obscure bands which don't have tabs on this site are also metal.
Gear:
.Fender Classic Series '70s Stratocaster
.Peavey Classic 30
.Xotic BB Preamp
.MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
.Vox V847A Wah
.Boss RC-2 Loop Station
.Washburn WI-24 (first guitar )