I feel infantile trying to convince my new bass player that 70 watts out of a Gallien-Kruger 1x10 combo amp will not be enough to gig with in a heavy metal band with a guitarist who has a 30 watt all-tube amplifier and a drummer with some deep toms and a 3 1/2 foot kick drum.

This is for club-medium sized gigs
Any suggestions?
play full volume at practice, when he can't hear himself he'll get the idea
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
play full volume at practice, when he can't hear himself he'll get the idea
This; make sure he doesn't stand by his own amp though.
Yeah, make him stand as far away from his amp as he can during full volume practice.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Have someone stand at the back of the room with the drummer going full blast, the guitarist wailing and have them yell

I CAN"T HEAR THE FRIGGIN' BASS!!

Actually just have him stand next to the drummer, when he can't hear himself, he'll get the point.
Heavy metal band doing a club gig? What.

+1 to everyone else, make him stand infront of your amp and you infront of his.
70 watts CAN be enough for gigs. Depends on the amp, but Im assuming that isn't the case with his amp.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Quote by Bass First
Heavy metal band doing a club gig? What.

+1 to everyone else, make him stand infront of your amp and you infront of his.

Yeah? Metal bands play club gigs all the time, where have you been
Now say his name.....
^Can not tell if your being sarcastic or not

but in melbourne we don't get many metal bands playing at clubs.
Quote by lordofthefood1
Yeah? Metal bands play club gigs all the time, where have you been

Club as in dancing and raving...
you have some good suggestions. you might also try recording a few rehearsals from the center of the room. when you play the rehearsals back later, he'll be able to hear for himself that there's not enough bass.

i used to play metal with 600 watts, and it wasn't always enough. i can't imagine metal with 70 watts - metal is supposed to be loud. although if the clubs mic his cab, you should be able to hear the bass.
Quote by tubatom868686
Club as in dancing and raving...

In the US, those are Dance Clubs. Generally, here, there is no distinction between a bar and a club. A venue with both a bar and a stage is usually called a club, though. Discos are non-existent in the US (by term) and I have no real idea of what they are.
Now say his name.....
I've used a 70W Danelectro amp at coffehouse gigs, and it was fine--but for rock and metal, no way. I use an 800W Carvin BRX-112 for that. It's only about 40 lbs, is small (the guitarists usually point and laugh) but it really pushes air (and the guitarists who laughed stop laughing and usually are impressed with the clarity of the tone or are left quite jealous).
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
If you can get it mic'ed at the club, no problem.

If you can't, he's just not going to get heard. You could give him an object lesson - give him a really long cable, send him to the far end of your rehearsal place, and everyone else play as loudly as possible.

Also point out to him that he'll have a more developed ear for bass frequencies than your average listener, so the fact that it might sound through to him doesn't mean other people will hear it.

To be fair, I've done a small gig doing alternative rock stuff with a 60w amp, but that was in quite a specific situation (guitarist was playing an electro-acoustic, drummer was exceptionally good at keeping the volume of his kit low, very small venue and my amp right at the front). Metal simply won't work with that setup.
Whatever, you cant hear the bass in metal anyway =P jk.

It's an unwritten rule of thumb that every bass player should atleast have their amps 3 times the wattage of a guitarists amp.
Baaaaaaazz
Quote by thedonutman
If it's a nice sounding amp you could just run a DI out from it into the PA and use the monitors for some more of the on-stage sound.

I was thinking this. Funny how the one other person thinking the same as me is from basically the same place...
Tell him, 'Here's your sign." Then direct him towards a Record company president that will say, "I would love to sign your band, but I can't hear the bass, so I'll sign that band over there." Or something to that effect. I don't know.
Sadly it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation, how do you know having spent a lot of money on a decent rig that you're going to stick with it.
On the other hand most so called Bass amps below a certain wattage are of little or no use outside your lounge.
As I've said before I buy separates so that I can mix and match although I do have sympathy for those starting out.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
We use a 35 watt tube amp that gets mic'ed into the PA. That works just fine. The club should have a sound system with a mixing board. So I don't see a problem.

PS A good sound guy can make or break any band.
Last edited by barefootboy at Sep 23, 2009,
Quote by barefootboy
We use a 35 watt tube amp that gets mic'ed into the PA. That works just fine. The club should have a sound system with a mixing board. So I don't see a problem.

Tube amps are a lot louder than solid state.
Tube amps are a lot louder than solid state.

Doesn't matter what the volume is if it's mic'ed, the only use the actual amp has in such a situation is as an onstage monitor, because all the volume is provided by the PA. You can use 5w amps if they're mic'ed up.