Right, so im interested in starting to play bass. Yeah, basically just want to have gear to start out on at a reasonable price, and may potentially play some shows with it. Thanks
Skilface - handy thread.

Rise_Above - you don't mention what kind of music you want to play, but i do suggest you check out a yamaha RBX170
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-RBX170-Bass-101834760-i1146650.gc
for years, it was my backup bass, and i found i tended to bring it to practice because it was easy to play and light with a small body that made it easy to carry and move while playing. very decent sound, good build quality.
Quote by patticake
Skilface - handy thread.

Rise_Above - you don't mention what kind of music you want to play, but i do suggest you check out a yamaha RBX170
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-RBX170-Bass-101834760-i1146650.gc
for years, it was my backup bass, and i found i tended to bring it to practice because it was easy to play and light with a small body that made it easy to carry and move while playing. very decent sound, good build quality.

i'm using one now as my main bass and it really is a great bass, so +1
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Check out the Roland Micro Cube bass, it is excellent and has a lot of on board effects. It's also pretty compact so it wont take up a lot of space.
im guessing by your username your a punk listener? rise above's a famous Black Flag song

if so check out a Squire vintage P-bass or Jazz, amp i would say go for what you feel is best Peavy or laney by experience are well worth the money for starter amps.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
If bass is something you're new to, I would recommend a starter pack. Ibanez and Squier are good brands to look for, Epiphone is one I'd avoid. Starter packs offer everything a beginner needs at a good value, and if you decide you don't like it, you're not out as much cash as you would be if you bought everything by itself.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
peavy millenniums are the ****, they come in four colors and sound great for the price, there around $250,if you buy one take it into a music store and have them install an AMERICAN jack,well you should do this for any guitar but the sound is ALOT better and it only costs $15, most peavy practice amps are around $80,everything combined is around $345 and a fairly nice set up, DONT BUY some cheap nasty crap either you will regret it,if you follow through buying a bass start by playing sex pistols song cause they are very simple
yeah, my username is based off the black flag song, and mostly listen to punk and metal
First of all I would tell to you to look at the Bass FAQ sticky, it pretty much covers everything you need to know for starting off on bass

A budget would also be helpful for gear recomendations

Personally I would recomend an Ibanez GSR200

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GSR200-4String-Bass?sku=519524

or a Squier-P bass if you're into punk

as for an amp I would recomend this Acoustic
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B20-1X12-Bass-Combo-Amplifier?sku=481622
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
The Squier Vintage Modified basses are good starters, and you can't go wrong with either the P or J variants in the FAQ. There are also the similar Squier Classic Vibe basses which offer a couple of variations. For punk, those would be my first port of call, but they're more than capable of providing metal tones.

Amps are more subjective, so I would try as many as possible, but Acoustic, as cited above are good for more energetic music, and I personally would promote either Peavey, or Laney, having comboes from both manufacturers.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"