Alright, so I've been looking for the electric guitar for me for a good few months now, and just don't seem to be able to find what I'm looking for.
I've been playing an OLP MM1 that belongs to my brother, and while it's actually my favourite neck, the overall quality is a little low to be spending an extra 600 bucks on the upgrades i'll be making to whatever I end up with.
I live in Wahroonga, Sydney, Australia, and there is no shortage of music stores around, just don't seem to be able to find any that keep an up-to-date online stock. Obviously I'm not going to buy something until I've put my left hand around either a) it's neck or b) the neck of an identical model/make.
So here's my challenge - suggest guitars for me that fit the following criiteria!

- Sinlge Cut away - Les Paul's, Telecaster shapes etc, something just soesn't agree with me about the strat shape. Not imperative but I'll go to great lengths to avoid a strat shape.

- 6-on-a-side or 4+2 headstock configuration. Alot of what I play isa readiohead/muse style and Strumming above the headstock with either of those configs sounds great in improvisations etc. Also 3x3 gives the G string a compressed sound to my ears...

- If possible, Dark Fretboard, preferably Rosewood. Maple fretboards show dirt like... something that shows dirt.

- Humbuckers! single coils are useless for my kinda music. HSH or HSS would be workable, this thing will be heavily modded.

- Either a hard-tail, stop tail or strat tremolo. I'll be replacing it with a stetsbar so a Floyd Rose is outta the question.

- Little things include colour (black, silver, orange, dark red etc, but I'll probably refinish the thing anyway), Control layout (a vol for each pup and a master tone plus the selector switch, les paul layout is irritating to me), output jack on the front rather than side if at all possible, and huge points for all the electronics or most mounted on the pickguard.

- Think Matthew Bellamy of Muse, those things are very close to my end goal.

- looking for thin necks, ibanez/musicman etc, gibson tends to be too chunky for me. love a 25.5inch scale length with 43mm at the nut, music to my ears.

OKAY
So if you think you know a guitar that fits some or all the criteria, let me know!
All suggestions/tips welcome

Cheers, Jack
Looked at Matt Bellamy's sig?

If you have the money, you can go custom. You live in Australia, go to Perth and talk to Ormsby (Or PM him here on the forums) he can make a beautiful guitar of your dreams .
well, apart from the maple fretboard, a fender tele deluxe seems to fit the bill perfectly-- could be a bit pricey though
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
RAN
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Looked at Matt Bellamy's sig?

If you have the money, you can go custom. You live in Australia, go to Perth and talk to Ormsby (Or PM him here on the forums) he can make a beautiful guitar of your dreams .

or yes, ormsby is another way to go. needa get myself one of those...
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
I was gonna say a Tele with dual humbuckers, but the neck is thicker than what you want. Manson guitars are what you want, but I don't know what you could actually get.
Just go to Ormsby. You can have a unique guitar built specifically for you, with any type of inlays or anything you want (He put some type of light feature in one guitar).
Ibanez FR1620? You can replace one of the pots for a concentric pot to get 2 volume controls. This would fit all of your specs except the jack on the front and controls on the pickguard. Plus, it's a great quality MIJ Prestige Ibanez.
the closest you're gonna get is either a telecaster deluxe which has a maple fretboard or a some type of firebird/explorer
Thanks guys, the links pac man gave me are very helpful, I think I'll be going with that set neck tele. Any others? I've just found Godin guitars which looks promising, but again they're hard to find in sydney...
Ormsby
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Oh by the way, I'm making a custom guitar for my HSC major work commencing in 4 weeks, and I think having a custom guitar made is pretty pointless when you can't go and check in on it - otherwise the thing could cost you x thousands of dollars, then arrive and not fit your hands.
Quote by urbanacrobat
Alright, so I've been looking for the electric guitar for me for a good few months now, and just don't seem to be able to find what I'm looking for.
I've been playing an OLP MM1 that belongs to my brother, and while it's actually my favourite neck, the overall quality is a little low to be spending an extra 600 bucks on the upgrades i'll be making to whatever I end up with.
I live in Wahroonga, Sydney, Australia, and there is no shortage of music stores around, just don't seem to be able to find any that keep an up-to-date online stock. Obviously I'm not going to buy something until I've put my left hand around either a) it's neck or b) the neck of an identical model/make. Or c) around my penis because it feels nice

To be honest, you may aswell just hop onto Warmoth and order your own stuff. It'd be easier for you, much easier.
So long as you know how to put the stuff together.
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
or you can go... ORMSBY, its local --- and looking at the possible options, ormsby looks better than either ran or warmoth.

ormsby will pretty much do anything (seriously, anything) you want. you could probably ask for a guitar in the shape of a fax machine and theyd do it for you
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Beyond a custom build, I'd second all of Pac_man's suggestions, plus the other Fender Classic Player series Teles, there's a couple of other models in there.

By the way, I would very, very strongly suggest you do not get a Stetsbar. I had one, it was the single worst piece of hardware I've ever had the misfortune of using. It's currently laying at the bottom of a nearby canal. Worse range and tuning stability than a Bigsby, murdered sustain more than a Floyd, ate through an average of three high E strings per day that it was installed on my LP - and I'm not exaggerating in the lightest. I'm not the only one to experience these problems either, it's hard to find anyone saying a single good word about them on any forum.
If you really need a vibrato, go for the Fender Tele with the vintage style vibrato bridge installed stock and then replace that with a good quality replacement (since the stock one is just the same as those on all MIM Strats). Don't buy a Stetsbar, you will regret it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Bob_Smith
or you can go... ORMSBY, its local --- and looking at the possible options, ormsby looks better than either ran or warmoth.

ormsby will pretty much do anything (seriously, anything) you want. you could probably ask for a guitar in the shape of a fax machine and theyd do it for you

this. I don't know why you won't do it TS. He's local, you can feel the neck when he's done, you can play it when he's done. He posts PICTURES OF IT on these forums, and he can send you those pictures. Just go to Ormsby, you won't be disappointed. If it doesn't fit right, I'm sure he'll make sure it does and fix it appropriately, so really, Ormsby is well worth the money.
"Think Matthew Bellamy of Muse"

http://www.mansonguitars.co.uk/

Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Tanglewood Evo Exotic TSF CE XFM

Amps
Vox Night Train w/ V112NT
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7
Diezel VH4

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle"
...Local? Western Australia isn't Local to Eastern Australia, where Sydney is...
Also note I don't have the money for a bonified manson, and I'm not aiming to be a muse ripoff. I do own a fuzz factory but that's because it's AWESOME and USEFUL. Deserves capital letters
Quote by urbanacrobat
...Local? Western Australia isn't Local to Eastern Australia, where Sydney is...
Also note I don't have the money for a bonified manson, and I'm not aiming to be a muse ripoff. I do own a fuzz factory but that's because it's AWESOME and USEFUL. Deserves capital letters

its more local than either ran or warmoth
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by urbanacrobat

Most people like to consider Local as in within the area. For instance, I live in Savannah Georgia, there could be a custom shop in Atlanta or in South Carolina. It might not be within a few minute driving distance, but it's still local.

Also, I'll repeat it. Ormsby not only does fantastic work, but he posts pictures of the builds on both his site, and these forums. I'm also positive he emails you the pictures specifically. He has also started up posting some of his builds on youtube from the looks of it. So you can't go wrong with Ormsby.