http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO0WMNbCVZY

Read the description for anything I missed in this post, but I'll try to explain everything.

I was messing around with the E on my bass, by playing it while detuning it, and then, when it was completely floppy, picking it, and then tuning it up to get a cool sound (I know, my life is boring, but I was procrastinating doing homework), and I tuned it up to just about my A. I then played a bar chord of my newly tuned string and the A, and thought it was pretty cool. I then impoved the first thing that came to mind (which is the riff the video's based around). I just thought I should show UG because I was pretty excited at the sound of this. I checked it on my tuner, and the E is about a quarter step below the A. Everything in the video is bar chords. The playing is pretty sloppy, because I was in a hurry to record it, because I have little faith in my camera's battery (ironically, it cut out at the end of the video).

Also, anyone else have their own personal tunings they've found through curiosity or mistake?
I don't do anything all that experimental, my only "non standard" tunings are

ADADG, CFA#D#G#, and CFA#D#G

The first is to match guitar doing AADGAE, other two for Drop C and C Standard
(sometimes I like having that G instead of G# to do certain shapes
(Stare At The Sun by Thrice is a good example, it has an open G note))
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Sounds like this kid needs a chorus pedal...

Also I usually stick to standard, because I only have the one bass, and if I play the same thing in a different tuning I kind of feel like I'm cheating.

though I do understand that some things would be quite impossible unless you changed tuning... but... I mean, isn't that what two handed tapping is for? :P
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
^ Oceans by John Butler trio is in open C, 4th fret capo, and uses double handed tapping. Cheating? Hardly. An example: if you're pulling off a note to open, sometimes that open note isn't the right note- so, change the tuning of the string and play accordingly.
One time I tuned my bass GDGD and used a piece of brass tubing I found as a slide.

TS's video was pretty cool, but I agree with Zacc. Just get a chorus pedal dude.

EDIT: Meant DGDG
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Last edited by kugelspot at Sep 22, 2009,
One time I tuned my bass to DFA#F, like open A# but with a low D instead. That was interesting. But I prefer standard tunings. I may have to buy another Soundgear at some point for D tuning, as I don't want to be constantly retuning my baby.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

DADA tuning is pretty cool. You can get some nice chords with harmonics when using it.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by Deliriumbassist
^ Oceans by John Butler trio is in open C, 4th fret capo, and uses double handed tapping. Cheating? Hardly. An example: if you're pulling off a note to open, sometimes that open note isn't the right note- so, change the tuning of the string and play accordingly.

Just because a person is doing difficult things in an open tuning doesn't go against what I said.

Playing in open tunings a person can be as virtuoistic as if playing in standard.
My point was I felt I would be cheating if I played the same thing in a different tuning to call it another song.

Also if you pull off to an open note and it isn't the right note, why not just fret the right note and pull off to that, and if the note is too low for the string, change the string?
This will both improve your playing and dexterity. while merely changing the tuning will have to make you think about how to play the rest of the notes on this string, but ultimately it will be cheating you of improvement.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by ZaccB
Just because a person is doing difficult things in an open tuning doesn't go against what I said.

Playing in open tunings a person can be as virtuoistic as if playing in standard.
My point was I felt I would be cheating if I played the same thing in a different tuning to call it another song.

Also if you pull off to an open note and it isn't the right note, why not just fret the right note and pull off to that, and if the note is too low for the string, change the string?
This will both improve your playing and dexterity. while merely changing the tuning will have to make you think about how to play the rest of the notes on this string, but ultimately it will be cheating you of improvement.

I was using the Oceans example in reference to the two handed tapping bit of your post.

And sure, in some songs, you can simply just fret the relevant note. In others, maybe both hands are being just a little to busy for one to move from their position. I do it all the time. Am I cheating myself out of improvement? God no.

I play a rearranged version of Andy McKee's Rylynn in bass, and there's bits in there where, if there was no capo or alternative tuning, it'd be physically impossible to do what I would want to do in my interpretation, for both chordal and tapped work.

I'm all for improving, but I'm also for serving the song, and sometimes using different tunings and capos, or in your eyes "dumbing down your technique" is one of the ways to do that.

Additionally, surely having to think about the notes on the string and how to play will lead to iprovement in transposing?