So im looking at getting a Macbook because i need to run piano synths live.

If i got a normal macbook and installed 4gb of RAM, would the mac use the extra RAM (i.e. is the mac osx the equivilant of 64bit xp?)
Snow leopard is, I believe.

Then again, I know next to nothing about macs. All of my computers either have XP or a linux distro.
theoretically yes, but you never know
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Snow Leopard is capable of running apps using 64 bit. Any new Mac you buy will have Snow Leopard.

Any computer will use the RAM you give it, it doesn't need to be 64 bit.
4 Gigs of Ram? Wat?
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
Quote by javax6
Snow Leopard is capable of running apps using 64 bit. Any new Mac you buy will have Snow Leopard.

Any computer will use the RAM you give it, it doesn't need to be 64 bit.

ive been told this is not the case
Quote by Arthur Curry
i'm a mac user but i don't know what you just said

That's because you're a mac user.
Official Member of the 'Fly your australian flag high club' for the really patriotic Australians: P.M Dire straits to join
i'm sure you could find a more cost-effective method to run piano synths. also, i'm fairly certain regular macbooks only support up to 3gb. you can install 4, but it won't do you any good.

also, stay away from words like "equivalent" when it comes to computing power
hug your local pug dealer!
Quote by Syndromity
4 Gigs of Ram? Wat?
Hey guys? What is a computer?
....soooo i take it you have to pay more for snow leopord IF you can get it on normal macbooks?...
Quote by Dirge Humani

32bit OS's have a ceiling at around 3.5 GB RAM. Any more than that they physically cannot use.

You're talking to a Comp Science student man, no need to preach to me

Yes you're right, what is wrong with my statement?
Quote by lucertia.
....soooo i take it you have to pay more for snow leopord IF you can get it on normal macbooks?...

Yes you would, but if you buy a new Mac it will have Snow Leopard installed already.
Quote by cody733
i'm sure you could find a more cost-effective method to run piano synths. also, i'm fairly certain regular macbooks only support up to 3gb. you can install 4, but it won't do you any good.

also, stay away from words like "equivalent" when it comes to computing power

pc laptops dont run reliably enough when playing classical style piano.

workstations even £2k ones have very fake sounds compared to vsts now
Quote by Dirge Humani
If I put 6GB of RAM into a 32bit OS, then it will only use ~3.5. It won't use all of it unless it is 64.

So yes, it does need to be 64 bit to use the 4 gigs he wanted.

Yeah that's true, all I was saying is that any computer will use extra RAM you give it. My point was that he doesn't need to have Mac OS X or any 64-bit OS to use that extra RAM.

Lucertia seems to be under the impression that he needs Mac OS X to use extra RAM.
Lucertia, to sum up what I was trying to say. You don't need to make a big spend on a new Mac if you already have a PC. Just install the extra 4 gigs of RAM in your current PC and you should be fine. If you want to be able to use the full 4GB worth you'll need a 64 bit Vista or Snow Leopard.

The thing is you might find that the application you're using may not use the full 4GB of RAM and only 2 or 3 max and you'll have wasted money on something you don't need.

You should just get the Mac anyway though, they're the best
Quote by lucertia.
How long have you been studying computing?

3 years, going into 4th year next week.
Quote by javax6
Lucertia, to sum up what I was trying to say. You don't need to make a big spend on a new Mac if you already have a PC. Just install the extra 4 gigs of RAM in your current PC and you should be fine. If you want to be able to use the full 4GB worth you'll need a 64 bit Vista or Snow Leopard.

The thing is you might find that the application you're using may not use the full 4GB of RAM and only 2 or 3 max and you'll have wasted money on something you don't need.

You should just get the Mac anyway though, they're the best

Remind me not to get Comp Sci students to advise me for all my computing needs.
Disregarding the fact that an application may or may not need 4 GB of RAM, what if he was to run a similar program that used the same amount of resources? Obviously, the most RAM you can safely use is the best amount of RAM to have. And to tie this all together, how much RAM can I use with a 32bit OS? About 4 GB? Oh, so I could buy 12GB of RAM, but it would be useless with my 32bit OS? But I should buy it anyway?
You should work at Best Buy, every time I go there the people give me dumb advice.
Quote by ticklemeemo
Disregarding the fact that an application may or may not need 4 GB of RAM, what if he was to run a similar program that used the same amount of resources? Obviously, the most RAM you can safely use is the best amount of RAM to have. And to tie this all together, how much RAM can I use with a 32bit OS? About 4 GB? Oh, so I could buy 12GB of RAM, but it would be useless with my 32bit OS? But I should buy it anyway?
You should work at Best Buy, every time I go there the people give me dumb advice.

Quote by ticklemeemo

So, what if he was to use one? He'd be covered with 4GB wouldn't he?

And where did I say that he should get more RAM than he needs? 32-bit can use around 3.5 GB, that was already said in the thread. I imagine piano synths would use a lot of memory, so 4GB would be a safe bet.

And whats with the flaming?
Quote by javax6
3 years, going into 4th year next week.
Then you should know that a 32-bit OS cannot address more than ~3.5GB.
Wow... People see the word "Mac" in the title and they act like it's a big neon sign saying "FLAME THIS!"

Honestly, if it's a personal computer, you don't need four Gigs of Ram
Quote by Packedcracker
Wow... People see the word "Mac" in the title and they act like it's a big neon sign saying "FLAME THIS!"

Honestly, if it's a personal computer, you don't need four Gigs of Ram
4 Gigs or RAM is nice if you multitask or use more intensive programs beyond your web browser and media player.