the emg's are nice on the epi but as soon as you said Gibson the convo was over brother....lol seriously though if you got the cash get the gibson but you wont be disapointed in the epi either.....good luck cheers
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
I really don't like the feel of Epiphones. I'd go with the Gibson. For the price, the sg faded is an excellent guitar.
i've has my faded sg for about 4 years and it hasn't let me down yet, and i'm pretty hard on my guitars
Harlington - Indie/Progressive/Hard Rock

Live Rig:
Gibson SG
Boss RT-20 Rotary Pedal
Fender Supersonic
DO NOT GET THE FADED SG SPECIAL!!!!!!! It has a really thick neck which makes it really hard to play, and the pickups aren't that great. I suggest the SG Prophecy, or else keep saving your pennies for the Gibson SG Standard
Quote by LukeBTH
DO NOT GET THE FADED SG SPECIAL!!!!!!! It has a really thick neck which makes it really hard to play, and the pickups aren't that great. I suggest the SG Prophecy, or else keep saving your pennies for the Gibson SG Standard

true the neck is pretty thick; i have a hard time playing on thin neck guitars so it works out well for me. the pickups are really a matter of preference, really good for rock, but not great for metal
Harlington - Indie/Progressive/Hard Rock

Live Rig:
Gibson SG
Boss RT-20 Rotary Pedal
Fender Supersonic
try them both...remember the faded is a low end gibson, and LukeBTH is right, the necks are very uncomfortable...im not saying necessarily to go with the epi, but DEFINITELY try it out first
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
i have a squier stratocaster, and i feel good with the neck, does anyone know if theres any kind of difference in the size of my squier vs the necks of the guitars listed above??
sg faded is a whole lot thicker
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
I say got the Gibson SG. I've owned the Epiphone SG Prophecy GX with Dirty Fingers and I did not like the wide neck on it and ended up selling it because of that, for I have medium sized hands for playing. For some reason I do not like Epiphone guitar necks and I have tried quite a few Gibson SG Faded guitars and their necks are a little more slimmer and manageable than Epiphone necks. Don't get me wrong Epiphone SG Prophecies are great guitars but there is nothing like an American built Gibson SG, whether its a Special or a Standard. Another thing to consider is that SG Prophecies are have maple in them whereas Gibson SG's are mahogany built. To each their own but I prefer Gibsons. I just bought my first Gibson this year, a vintage 1973 SG Special with mini-humbuckers. A different beast than the current SG Special but still a good guitar nevertheless and extremely rare. I am thinking about getting a current SG Special Faded later this year or next year and I might mod with with 24 frets. Thats my two cents worth.
Last edited by eyeofsetSG at Aug 27, 2011,
i have a faded SG special that i picked up in a trade for an MIM strat (lol), and its a good solid guitar. i think its either an '02 or '04 i can't remember. mine is a one piece body which is nice too. i would take the Gibby over the EPI. i own six gibsons, and they are all excellent guitars, even the cheap ones.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by LukeBTH

the Standard is the same guitar, just has a (barely) different bridge pickup and more fancy looks. That said, the pickups on the standard deserve a swapping as well.

go faded, it's a great guitar. I own one, and I love it, it's actually my main guitar, even though I have arguably better ones.
You really need to try them out if you're worried about neck size/width
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
personally, i wouldn't worry so much about the neck. you will get used to it rather quickly if that is your main guitar.

i think that the people who can only play one guitar, and claim that you shouldn't be switching neck profiles are full of shit.

i have the guitar you are considering, is it a thick neck, kinda. its thinner than my 1950's profile on my LP, and thincker than my 60's profile on my other les paul.

your hands can adapt.

recently i picked up an ibanez pristeige, and you know those necks are really thin. it takes a couple of days to adapt inititally, but i get used to it really quickly.

i am sure you can get used to it, it just may be uncomfortable for the first few hours/days.

also i have a friend with realy small hands, and he plays a LP with a 50's profile fine.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Gibson = better quality core
Epiphone = better quality hardware

If you want something that will be great right out the box that you'll never have to change, go for the Epiphone. If you're happy to modify a guitar, slap some more suitable pickups in it and treat it right, the Gibson is the better way to go and will last you a lifetime.
Quote by JAHellraiser
You really need to try them out if you're worried about neck size/width

Especially since no 2 gibson necks are identical, due to their workers being somewhat sloppy with their sanding.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i would go for the epi....its a much better value . gibson is supposed to be better quality but imo youre paying a lot for the name, and that it was made in the us...thats not saying a lot either, ive heard of gibsons that cant stay in tune and have terrible fret buzz.

and as someone else said, the neck on an sg faded is so wide, and cus its faded to me feels cheap as hell.

it really depends on what you play. if you play heavy music, get the epi cus of the emg's.

all that being aid, the sg faded is a cool classic guitar that would probably be sturdy; it will also retain its value a lot better...

really if it wasnt cus i hate the neck of the sg faded so much, id tell you, go for the gibson
Quote by oneblackened
Especially since no 2 gibson necks are identical, due to their workers being somewhat sloppy with their sanding.

Ive never heard it put like that. Its more the necks are different because theyre all individually hand sanded. You could sand 10 60's neck profiles and its going to be damn hard to make them all the same unless your using a machine.
I'd say between those two, regardless what you exactly play, the Gibson is a better value and a better instrument overall.

BTW people, you don't need EMGs to play heavy music.
Quote by JesusCrisp
I'd say between those two, regardless what you exactly play, the Gibson is a better value and a better instrument overall.

BTW people, you don't need EMGs to play heavy music.

so true.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i saw a few *OMGZ AMERICAN MADE GIBSON!!* posts. i would take the Epi any day. i hated the necks on the faded SGs. I LOVE the Standards but the faded SGs disappointed me. Also, i like EMGs lol. A lot more versatile than people give them credit for
Quote by shecter guy
i saw a few *OMGZ AMERICAN MADE GIBSON!!* posts. i would take the Epi any day. i hated the necks on the faded SGs. I LOVE the Standards but the faded SGs disappointed me. Also, i like EMGs lol. A lot more versatile than people give them credit for

I've not really seen a comment which goes "buy the Gibson because it's American made", I've only seen one where it's mentioned that it's MIA and that the Epiphone isn't as good. Not because the Epi isn't MIA but because the Gibson is the better guitar (at least in the poster's opinion).

You don't like the faded finish, I don't like sticky glossy finish on the neck of a guitar.
Is it because both are bad? No, it's because of different preferences.

That you like EMGs is fine and I see that they can do more than metal, just as single coils don't just do cleans. You can play pretty much everything on any guitar with any pickups, how well it's suited for genres X or Y is a different thing though.

What I said in my post was because someone recommended the Epiphone for heavy music because it has EMGs and would therefore better suited for heavy music.
While EMGs might be good for metal tones (and for whatever else you like them) in the poster's opinion, it doesn't mean that it's a better guitar for metal.
Just saying i saw a couple that gave me that view. Like i think it's the first comment "it was over as soon as you said Gibson". I've played Epiphones that blew a lot of Gibsons i have played out of the water.

I also agree that EMGs are not necessary for heavy music. I've played metal on stock Fender Teles before so obviously that statement isn't true. Just commenting on it because a lot of people stereotype EMGs as "brootulz" pickups, which isn't true. I use them for pretty much everything. I suggested the Epiphone because the feel of the necks on the Faded series that i have played just really put me off from them. Not so much the finish itself. I used to love my Faded V. It's the only guitar i have had that i liked to look at as much as i liked playing it. But then I got my Schecter and the Gibson just didnt play as well. I'm sure we can just agree to disagree though
Quote by andresobandol
i have a squier stratocaster, and i feel good with the neck, does anyone know if theres any kind of difference in the size of my squier vs the necks of the guitars listed above??

Any Gibson will have a neck thicker than a Squier's, probably. Squiers have really thin necks. If you like a neck like that, you'll do better with some sort of Fender. I recommend a Telecaster Custom, a Jaguar HH, Jazzmaster, or Jim Adkins Thinline if you like the Gibson-ish alt-rock sound.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by yourbelovednick
true the neck is pretty thick; i have a hard time playing on thin neck guitars so it works out well for me. the pickups are really a matter of preference, really good for rock, but not great for metal

the pickups are the same on both the faded and the standerd, the only difference is the look of both of them
Between the two I'd probably get the epiphone if I were buying new. The gibson if I were buying used and it really "sang" to me. Most of the faded's I've played were a disappointment and in my opinion you're paying far too much for what you're getting but I've seen them go for 400 or so used which is in my opinion a pretty good deal.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it.

Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
Quote by RyanBreslin
the pickups are the same on both the faded and the standerd, the only difference is the look of both of them

WRONG

The Gibson Specials have 490r/490t and the Standards have 490r/498t. The 498t sounds better to me, but neither pick up is awesome.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
WRONG

The Gibson Specials have 490r/490t and the Standards have 490r/498t. The 498t sounds better to me, but neither pick up is awesome.

yep, the 498T is basically an overwound 490T i think.. tbh i'd rather have a 490T

anyone else notice this thread is 2 years old?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
yep, the 498T is basically an overwound 490T i think.. tbh i'd rather have a 490T

NOPE
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Blompcube

Fairly much necroing going on lately.