I just resently picked up my guitar from taking a year long break due to college and personal problems, and while it took me only a month to go from crap to better than I was playing last year I realized that while I can play song parts, riffs, some simple licks and meldoic bits/mini-solos, I have no clue what I'm doing musically. I have a decent musical background. I took piano lessons for a year, trumpet for two, and have had some prior theory instruction, but when it comes to the guitar I don't know much. I tried taking lessions from a friend, but he can be a stuck up douche when it comes to the guitar and isn't really helpful, nor is the one guitar teacher in town, all he does is teach songs/song bits and basic technique. I want to be able to learn a song, know what key its in, know the progression, know the chord names and shapes, and scales, etc. Basically I wanna know out of the two programs listed, which will help me become somewhat knowledgible in my playing and help me improve to an intermediate level? Metal Method or taking online lessons from Tom Hess?
you want to focus on metal music?
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
Well I want to focus on metal music, but i eventually want to learn some jazz and classical, and I would like to learn blues while I learn metal since they go hand in hand.
I have bought the Metal Method DVD, and to be completely honest. I think that Doug has a better approach to encompass everything you are trying to learn: scale/mode/key-change/teeny bit of theory/classical/jazz/and of course metal. =D Try the DVD out. Good luck and rock on! \m/
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (EMG 81/85)
Dean Dime-o-Flage (Stock)

Amplification/Effects
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Stompbox Tuner
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
Peavey 6505+ Half Stack
if you want to eventually start to learn jazz, then i recommend you sign up at Jimmy Bruno's Guitar Institute.

$60 every 3 months, cancel at any time, etc

best $60 you will ever spend.

http://www.jimmybrunoguitarinstitute.com
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
How are Tom Hess lessons actually? Are they really that awesome?
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by 08L1V10N
How are Tom Hess lessons actually? Are they really that awesome?

Sorry, but...

LOL@Tom Hess

dunno... watching his band with joe stump... its bad. widdly widdly monsieur, me need poopoo... want poopoo...

his site was retarded too with the questionaire... never got a personal response from him... autobot response is awesome.

Doug's methods have always interested me more so I'd rather go for that. Failing that, maybe the jimmy bruno stuff is cool... I remember loving his columns in guitar school
The only Tom Hess stuff I've ever seen is him talking in general terms about learning to play guitar, setting goals, common mistakes, etc. I don't think I've actually ever seen anything specific by him about technique, exercises, etc.