So i've had my Jeff Loomis C-7 FR for almost a month now, this is my first guitar with a Floyd Rose so i'm very new to it. This thing is basically my baby and I really don't want anything to go wrong with it. So just now I was gently tugging on the high e string and it snapped. All the other strings went out of tune as well, is that supposed to happen? I don't want anything to go wrong with the action or anything cuz when it got set up everything was just perfect and it felt like sex to play. Now I have to get a new set of strings and re-string this thing, which I'm sure is going to be a pain in the ass. Some expertise would be greatly appreciated here!
The strings should go out of tune if you break any string.
When you put a new one on again (as long as you do it properly) everything will return to how it was before.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Oh yeah. Pain in the ass to the max. Yes, all the strings will go out of tune if one breaks if the bridge is floating, as it is on your guitar. And while I could describe how to tune it, it would be easier on you and I for you to go to google and type something like "tuning floyd rose" into the bar there. There are some great explanations and there is at least one site that has a bunch of good pictures throughout the process.
I have a bit of an understanding of how to tune it, I just don't understand what is meant by "put the fine tuners in the middle of their turning adjustment", because for the most part they've looked like they've been in the "middle" since I got it. I really just don't want to ruin anything on this guitar.
Quote by Noospheres
I have a bit of an understanding of how to tune it, I just don't understand what is meant by "put the fine tuners in the middle of their turning adjustment", because for the most part they've looked like they've been in the "middle" since I got it. I really just don't want to ruin anything on this guitar.

Just means to put it in the middle position so you have a fair amount of range to go up or down with fine tuning it once you put on the new string and lock it down. Also, keep in mind the golden rule with a Floyd Rose string change is one string at a time. Just keep that in mind you'll be fine.
Quote by Noospheres

If you don't understand how the floating trems work you should really read the manual to get an understanding of what everything does. Once you have read it, it should all make sence and you should be able to make all adjustments needed to make it perfect for you.

Trial and error is what got man where we are to day. You're not going to ruin anything. If I can learn by trial and error with my "crappy" edge III then you should have no worries with yours.

They really are easy to deal with once you understand how they work. I can do a full string change and tune in about 15 minutes now. But the first time took me about 2 hours, but I took my time and read and re-read the manual to make sure I was understanding everything.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
If you don't understand how the floating trems work you should really read the manual to get an understanding of what everything does. Once you have read it, it should all make sence and you should be able to make all adjustments needed to make it perfect for you.

Trial and error is what got man where we are to day. You're not going to ruin anything. If I can learn by trial and error with my "crappy" edge III then you should have no worries with yours.

They really are easy to deal with once you understand how they work. I can do a full string change and tune in about 15 minutes now. But the first time took me about 2 hours, but I took my time and read and re-read the manual to make sure I was understanding everything.

This, and read the first couple of posts in the FR Sticky, up at the top of the page, it'll help you alot.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
This, and read the first couple of posts in the FR Sticky, up at the top of the page, it'll help you alot.

or, if there's any real technical problems, ask this guy in the PLUM text. he knows his sh*t about FR's.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
or, if there's any real technical problems, ask this guy in the PLUM text. he knows his sh*t about FR's.

And if you have any questions about crime, and the fighting of it, hit this^ man up...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by biga29

And if you have any questions about crime, and the fighting of it, hit this^ man up...

This.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Get a room already!!
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
Get a room already!!

does a group count? cause we got that.
Quote by pedromiles101