Poll Options
View poll results: ?
Yes
48 68%
No
23 32%
Voters: 71.
isnt this a repeat thread?

also, yay, a million times yay. an affordable priced gibson, beautiful, and all the same quality (save for the paint and a hard case) as its standard counterparts.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I love love love my faded LP
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
Try it before you buy it.

Other than that, yes.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
I thought they were kinda like epi's and specials, low end gibsons?
B.C. Rich Body Art Collection June Flesh Ring Warlock

Marshall 8040 Valvestate

1978 Peavey Classic VT 212 amp

All this 4 sale
There's lots of hate on the Fadeds and Gibson and general. Some of it deserved, some of it not.

They are the low end Gibsons, but the problem with the Fadeds - pretty much a company-wide problem, except on LP Standard Fadeds, from my experience - is quality control. One can be a piece of trash, the next off the line can be stunning. For this reason, we have a concept called "try before you buy," which is really a good idea no matter the maker in question.

If you play one, and want it, look it over. Make sure there's no issues. If you're satisfied and you like it, get it. And take home that guitar. However, I advise some hesitation in buying one you've never tried - however, I advise some hesitation in buying any guitar you've never tried.
if it plays great and you like the tone ..why not
its a lot cheaper than a standard
27mMoV31II7.a2
are good fadeds as good as standards?
B.C. Rich Body Art Collection June Flesh Ring Warlock

Marshall 8040 Valvestate

1978 Peavey Classic VT 212 amp

All this 4 sale
Standards come plek'd now plus have a maple cap on them, and burstbucker pros in them so a studio and a standard are two completly different monsters......its like comparing elton john to ozzy!!

The faded studios are really nice but id personally get the cherry finish as its sexy as hell, and ive played three of them in the past few weeks n been hard not to get one
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
I've had my faded SG since 03 and its been amazing to me. Try before you buy, and get it set up nice.
Gibson.
Quote by Flying Couch
There's lots of hate on the Fadeds and Gibson and general. Some of it deserved, some of it not.

They are the low end Gibsons, but the problem with the Fadeds - pretty much a company-wide problem, except on LP Standard Fadeds, from my experience - is quality control. One can be a piece of trash, the next off the line can be stunning. For this reason, we have a concept called "try before you buy," which is really a good idea no matter the maker in question.

If you play one, and want it, look it over. Make sure there's no issues. If you're satisfied and you like it, get it. And take home that guitar. However, I advise some hesitation in buying one you've never tried - however, I advise some hesitation in buying any guitar you've never tried.

you're right about that, but i think it's all perception and preference. one guitar that does not satisfy you may be spot on perfect for the next guy who comes in. i'm not sure if this really would go down as quality control since gibson even point it out on their website:

because Gibson brand guitars are handcrafted, it is normal for wood grains, finishes and some measurements to vary from those listed on this Web site.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional/Finishes.aspx <--link.

but yeah, do try before you buy, and when you find one that's just right for you, you'll know. only then should you actually buy one imo

there are bound to be people who come in this thread and say "gibson are overrated and has bad QC becuz off teh CEO, get a tokai/epiphone/edwards/burny/greco/etc" but as far as i know none of those manufacturers make a model with the faded finish which does feel a lot different to a regular finish, and if you prefer that then there's no reason to what anyone else has to say.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I have a SG faded that I traded up for, it's a decent guitar.

Nothing that stands out about it overall, it sounds ok and plays good stock without any changes.

For the asking price on that same guitar on musicians friend I would say its really not worth the price they are asking. If you find one used for a bit less then its not that bad of a buy.
I own 2 SG fadeds. They play great. As long as you play it first, go for it. I would suggest trying to find a used one though - get the best bang out of your dollar
Quote by Blompcube
you're right about that, but i think it's all perception and preference. one guitar that does not satisfy you may be spot on perfect for the next guy who comes in. i'm not sure if this really would go down as quality control since gibson even point it out on their website:

A valid point - there is a lot of variation even among guitars of the same model. Especially Les Paul models. But I'm not talking about things like that - such as some LP Classics have thicker necks or marginally different pickups than others. I'm talking about things that are (more or less - now that I've said this some idiot is going to come in saying he likes these things) objectively bad. Inability to stay in tune, poor fretwork, ridiculous action setups, warped necks, garbage finishes. But this is not a "Gibson sucks lol" thread, and Gibson doesn't suck, so I'll bow out of here now.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Sep 22, 2009,
I vote yes but you need to try several out. I didn't care for the faded/worn guitars they seemed like they were a poorer quality but that was until I got to try a faded/worn Explorer that was absolutely amazing. Of course I bought it and it was marked down from $949.00 to $499.99 w HSC. I got an amazing guitar for an amazing price and I was willing to pay the nine and change

John
If you can find a good one,they are decent guitars. But there are much better instruments out there in the same price range.
Faded Explorers are AMAZING. I wish I had the money to buy one before they discontinues them... They truly were the best guitars I've ever played.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Quote by Flying Couch

This, also try looking for an epi elitist. That is all.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
i think they're decent. it's the quality of the specials, except lower price because they're without paint. which, on some models, i think looks better. i like woodgrain for certain body styles.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
only if you can play it before you buy it, some of the faded series are fantastic while others leave alot to be desired.
I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded and it has huge resonant, yet biting tone... and a nice organic feel due to the faded finish.

And I like the light weight. I think it's only 8 pounds.

Damn it's a GREAT guitar!!
try first, the QC is very variable.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
They are pretty good.... not great but good for the money.
Made in Detroit
Guitars, Guns, Cars, Beer, and Women... This is what makes real men happy.
HELL yay. before i got my standard i was days away from purchasing a les paul faded tobacco burst. but then of course the standard lured me away from it :p

im still considering buying one, even though i've already got a les paul. that's how sexy they are.

Quote by David BcRich
are good fadeds as good as standards?

fadeds ARE standards. they're called the Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded. the only differences are the pickups (hotter, more modern) and the finish.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Sep 25, 2009,