It is shaped and sized exactly like a pile of horse dung. Seriously, there is no reason you should be considering that amp. It is over priced and sounds notoriously bad. Save your money.
Holy f uck, it was a simple question. And no, I don't own that amp.

It's bad? What should I get instead for a similar price then? I play Pop Punk and Indie Rock stuff.
Quote by nolan182

It's bad? What should I get instead for a similar price then? I play Pop Punk and Indie Rock stuff.

No need to get testy. A quick visit to Marshall's website would have given you the answer.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by nolan182
I play Pop Punk and Indie Rock stuff.

look into a peavey windsor or something.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by nolan182

The good news is if you have 500 bucks to spend on a combo, you have many great options for amps that sound quite good. For your styles, I would think you would want an all tube amp. Get a used amp. What bands do you like, specifically? Will you be gigging? Playing in a band, or just practicing at home where you would need to be kinda quiet?
Quote by Chetbango
The good news is if you have 500 bucks to spend on a combo, you have many great options for amps that sound quite good. For your styles, I would think you would want an all tube amp. Get a used amp. What bands do you like, specifically? Will you be gigging? Playing in a band, or just practicing at home where you would need to be kinda quiet?

yeah I don't know much about amps at all.

Right now I have a Micro Cube lol. I've only been playing like 2 years though. I've only been playing in my bedroom for fun, but now I go to my friends house and play stuff (he's on drums). The micro cube is too quiet to play over them. I don't know if we will be gigging or not, but that would be cool.

I just want something that sounds better than this micro cube, and can play over drums.

Bands I like?

blink-182
Lydia
The Starting Line
Moneen
Death Cab for Cutie
Bright Eyes (but that's mostly acoustic)
Circa Survive
Thursday
A Love Like Pi
Tigers Jaw

stuff like that

thanks
You have a few options. I am partial to marshalls, and for te sounds of the bands I am familiar with in your profile, you can probably pick up a used Marshall JCM 900 Combo for about 600. this amp sounds much better at higher volumes, so if you are playing in your bedroom, it might not be the best choice.
For a nice all around combo at a bit less than your price point, I would look at the Peavey Classic 30, it is very versatile and has some sweet tones. the Egnator Rebel same thing. If you go used you can buy either of those and still have a few bucks for a couple pedals to further your sound. they are decent at low volumes and plenty loud for gigging eventually.

Same with the blackheart series.
Bugera V55
Peavey Windsor
Used JCM900 combo

Check them out.
Don't get the MG. I have one. It's a big mistake.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by nolan182

bad does not describe it. try a peavey Vypyr or Windsor at that price. there are even great Bugera amps to be had that are infinitely better than a POS MG
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
bad does not describe it. try a peavey Vypyr or Windsor at that price. there are even great Bugera amps to be had that are infinitely better than a POS MG

No, "bad" only just begins to describe it.

The MG is like an ice-berg, the majority of the "bad" of this amp is 90% hidden from immediate view.

Bad only begins to describe 1% of the visible portion of the ice-berg.

If you're gonna throw money at an MG, you could do yourself and the world a favor by donating that money to charity.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
No, "bad" only just begins to describe it.

The MG is like an ice-berg, the majority of the "bad" of this amp is 90% hidden from immediate view.

Bad only begins to describe 1% of the visible portion of the ice-berg.

If you're gonna throw money at an MG, you could do yourself and the world a favor by donating that money to charity.

the best way to describe it is:

if a marshall Vintage Modern is an expertly prepared Quail flambed in Cognac, the MG series is Cheese Wiz
Quote by nolan182
So like this?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/1382891642.html

I'm seriously a total n00b about amps.... Isn't there supposed to be something that goes on top of that amp? and how much are they?

haha

Yeah, that houses the speakers and is known as a cabinet. You need to get a head to go with that.

Basically a guitar amp can be a "head and cabinet" or a "combo". A combo is a self contained unit that usually has the amplifier and 1 or 2 speakers. Sometimes a combo can have four speakers, but as it also contains the amp, it would be quite heavy.

A head and cabinet has one unit that is the head, it is usually smaller than a combo and usually smaller than the cabinet that it would sit on. A cabinet often has 2 - 4 speakers and often they are larger speakers than you usually find in combos. As it is two units, each can be heaver than a combo since you dont have to carry both at the same time.
Advantages of a combo are they are generally cheaper and lighter then their amp/cabinet counterparts. Most practice amps are combos, and many lower wattage amps are combos. You can usually power any external cabinet with a combo if you so desire.

Advantages of amp/heads is easier to transport if you want more/bigger speakers. More choices in the way of speaker/amp combinations. The classic "Marshall Stack" is a head with two 4x12" cabinets below the head. If this was one unit it would weigh a ton and be really hard to transport.
peavey classic 30!
peavey classic 30!
peavey classic 30!
peavey classic 30!
peavey classic 30!
peavey classic 30!
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
peavey classic 30!
peavey classic 30!
peavey classic 30!
peavey classic 30!
peavey classic 30!
peavey classic 30!

My thoughts exactly

*fist bump*
Bugera V55
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bugera-V55-55W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=502584

Peavey Classic 30 (look used as well)
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Classic-30112-Tube-Amp-Combo-?sku=481014

Other ones I'd suggest looking for used are the Traynor YCV series along with that JCM.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS