Page 1 of 9
About three weeks ago, I was asked to start a new AC/DC thread without a poll attached to it, and it completely slipped my mind to do so until now.

So without further ado, you may continue with your AC/DC discussions in this thread, and this thread only.

Ready...

GO!
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Ahoy!

Bon or Brian?

I'm a Bon man myself, Highway to Hell whoops Back in Black's butt.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

With Brian only a handful songs are amazing. with bon, everything was just great
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Bon scott had the image and the music, Brian johnston has most of the music and all the image, I like Bon better, but I don't understand the people that hate brian

and

Powerage anyone? No one ever talks about the amazingness of this album
Bon. Brian's voice is annoying IMO.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Woo!
No.2.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by eberg2
Bon scott had the image and the music, Brian johnston has most of the music and all the image, I like Bon better, but I don't understand the people that hate brian

and

Powerage anyone? No one ever talks about the amazingness of this album

Probably because Powerage is one of their worst albums.
Quote by crimsonblood12
Probably because Powerage is one of their worst albums.

are you serious? thats one of my favorites......... and one of their best, its not just the same old blues riff over and over again, and the songs actually sound different, it has all the balls out ac/dc energy, I love that album
Quote by eberg2
are you serious? thats one of my favorites......... and one of their best, its not just the same old blues riff over and over again, and the songs actually sound different, it has all the balls out ac/dc energy, I love that album

Just because it's your favorite doesn't make it their best. It's their best To You but from an objective standpoint, it's not really. They may have varied a bit from their standard sound, but not many of the songs are actually all that great.
"The guy from Labyrinth turned into a bird!"
Quote by TheSovereign
Just because it's your favorite doesn't make it their best. It's their best To You but from an objective standpoint, it's not really. They may have varied a bit from their standard sound, but not many of the songs are actually all that great.

your preaching to the choir on that subject, and it wasn't really relevant, nothing I said was completely biased to the fact it is their number one best album, I said "one of my favorites, and one of their best..."

anyways back on topic, how bout dirty deeds done dirt cheap, I never hear any songs besides the title track played on radio, you guys like that one a little more?
High Voltage will always be my favorite. no questions about that one.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
^Same here, man.
I can't wait, I'm seeing them in early Nov.
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
Brian is good, but Bon will always be better. Bon could actually change his voice, whereas Brian relies on screeching to sing. For example,if you watch them perform Ride On with Brian, it sounds awful, because Bon could actually sing quite softly at times, and Brian just kinda screeched it.

Anyone else see them on their Black Ice Tour? I saw them at Wembley and it was mindblowing. When the video started, the whole stadium began to vibrate and you could feel the atmosphere rise, it was so awesome. Then all of a sudden the train bursts through and you could see Angus about ten feet from you, playing that riff. Then the drums kick in and he duckwalks right past you. Being that close to him was so surreal.
I love AC/DC but i get sick of them fast because a lot of their songs sound the same but i must say they can write the coolest riffs ever.
Quote by eberg2
your preaching to the choir on that subject, and it wasn't really relevant, nothing I said was completely biased to the fact it is their number one best album, I said "one of my favorites, and one of their best..."

anyways back on topic, how bout dirty deeds done dirt cheap, I never hear any songs besides the title track played on radio, you guys like that one a little more?

my bad man. Sorry if I came off as too harsh.
"The guy from Labyrinth turned into a bird!"
Quote by TheSovereign
my bad man. Sorry if I came off as too harsh.

all's well, I know a lot of people on here are very very very opinionated and serious, but for my posts most of them aren't that serious anyways, basically just about every post is lighthearted and should start with "IN my opinion" but maybe I should put something like that in my sig or something lol, but whatever haha

and to the discussion of bon scott and bring johnson, I completely agree with the fact that Brian is a great singer and frontman, but he is a one trick pony, he does the screeching amazingly well, but can't do much else. where as bon could do the screeching or the "sexy" or bad ass voice, or whatever was necessary for the song
anyone else see Jim Bruer's stand up thing called "Let's clear the air" he does a rant about how 80s hard rock/metal bands should do childrens songs, he does a very funny impression of Brian Johnson
AC/DC is amazing, Sg's are not for Women, and Angus young puts on the best live act out of any one. hands down.
So, let the speculation begin. What do we all think this 'exciting announcement' is going to be?

The main contender is that boxset, although if it doubles as a working amplifier, it's going to cost an' arm and a leg.

I would sell my soul for more European dates, but I really doubt that's worth of a countdown and the like.
Probably the box set, can't really see what else it would be. Not fussed about the amplifier, it'll almost definitely be crappy and my one is perfectly fine, but if it has rare live shows and studio songs, I'll definitely pick it up.

But I'd love more European shows too
Quote by Moggan13
Can i please make sweet, sweet many love to you?
Sorry for the double post, but here's the announcement. http://www.acdcbacktracks.com/pages/3999219/

The content on the actual discs looks amazing, I've got poor quality bootlegs of a lot of that stuff, so to have high quality releases of it will be great, but the amp seems like a waste of time and the whole set is VERY pricey

EDIT: Apparently there's a standard edition available, which I'm guessing will be a lot cheaper, with just 2 CDs and 1 DVD instead of the 3 CDs and 2 DVDs, but it doesn't give any details about which ones.
Quote by Moggan13
Last edited by Voodoo Chile at Sep 29, 2009,
I am buying that goddamn thing! Although apparently if you're buying outside of the states, it costs $60 to ship, which is ridiculously expensive, but ah well.

Anyone else watch the videos of Angus playing with the included amp? I'm never seen him look so old! He practically has white hair now
Yeah I'll probably buy the full set too, but it seems a waste of £150 for an amp I won't use.

At least his hair is long again, it just wasn't right him having it short :P
Quote by Moggan13
I've got SG. This is the best guitar I have ever played!

And Brian is as good as Bon.
Box set AND new studio album? **** man that's almost too much! Can't wait for it, hopefully this one doesn't take 8 years to come out though.
Quote by Moggan13
Another album? Yeee!!! That's amazing! I guess the boys talked Brian out of retirement after the Black Ice tour.
UG's AC/DC Lover
What I am about to say are MY views and MY VIEWS ONLY, they do not, nor am I trying to reflect the views of others on this forum or anyone else's anywhere else. That being said.....

I believe that both Bon Scott and Brian Johnson are both GREAT vocalist (yes I know Bon is dead). Both brings (brought) different and unique things to AC/DC. Here is what I saw:

Brian Johnson
  • A set style
  • Instant recognizably
  • A solid foundation on what to do
  • Success
  • Drive
  • A great album voice
  • A great stage performance (how he moves)

Bon Scott
  • Versatility
  • R&B style
  • A singer with direction
  • Hope
  • Desire
  • A great stage voice
  • Facial effects

I have heard lots of people who have imitated Bon Scott and SOUNDED EXCATLY like him when they sing (no matter what song it was) and I didn't know it wasn't Bon. But I have NEVER heard ANYONE that can sound EXACTLY like Brian Johnson.

With Bon Scott, AC/DC made a few albums, but they never truly enjoyed or achieved real and genuine success. But with Brian Johnson, AC/DC made several albums, some of which contains songs that will be remembered forever and achieved success that they could never image or dream of.

Lots of of people, like Bon Scott, have the ability and can get you to the door. But only a small handful of people, like Brian Johnson, have the ability to kick the damn door in and grab all the success, wealth, notoriety, and everything else that is great on the other side of it!

Bon Scott lead AC/DC to the promise land but could never get them over the water to enjoy the milk and honey that was there, but Brian Johnson parted the waters and they went on through the middle of it to enjoy it all and to achieve legendary status!

Just remember this, whether you like Bon Scott better or whether you like Brian Johnson better, it doesn't really matter. They (along with all other past band members) are a part of the history of AC/DC and what has made them so great to so many, they are all part of one big AC/DC family, and if you like AC/DC at all from any era, that makes you a part of this great big family as well.

As I said these are MY VIEWS ONLY and no one else's. I am not saying I am right, and I am not saying you are wrong. Nor am I saying you are right and I am wrong. I am just saying these are MY VIEWS ONLY and this is what I SEE!!!
Last edited by BigDC at Nov 6, 2009,
Both vocalists suck; the band is one of the worst I've ever heard.

It's noise for inbred people (that's AC/DC's crowd!YEAH!).
Bon is better. the stuff they did with him was more bluesy-rock and i like that better. highway to hell is their best album IMO. im so pissed that i didnt get to seem them when they came to town
Quote by LiamW
Oh yes people, that's right.

It seems that Malcolm has confirmed a brand-spanking new album for us all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKwuvO6VpfA

I think I nearly crapped my pants when I heard this.

i think he was talking about the backtracks, not a new studio album. and brian i think is retiring after the black ice tour
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
i think he was talking about the backtracks, not a new studio album. and brian i think is retiring after the black ice tour

If you listen to the Video that is posted on YouTube about it from a guy who talked to either Angus (or Malcom, can't remember which) and listen very closely, and then read the comments from the guy who made the video, he seams to make it clear that they are talking about a NEW STUDIO album, not just the Backtracks album. Although I do beleive Brian is retiring at the end of the Black Ice tour, I have a funny feeling they already have a replacement singer in mind for him. Hopefully it will not be Dave Evans (original AC/DC singer), even though he is MUCH MUCH better now then he was than. I just have a feeling about it!
Yeah, it's a new studio album of all new material.

I know Brian wants to retire, but I have a feeling the boys will be able to convince him otherwise. Without him, it's not AC/DC. What might be cool is if they did an album with Steven Tyler, since he has supposedly left Aerosmith.

It would need to be clearly labeled as AC/DC with Steven Tyler, and not hiring him as a replacement. A replacement for Brian wouldn't go down well with me, no matter who it is.
UG's AC/DC Lover
Quote by Rocker_94
A replacement for Brian wouldn't go down well with me, no matter who it is.

But Brian was a replacement to begin with, so I wouldn't be too put out if he left.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

I reckon Bon is the better singer, he has a much better range than Brian.

$100 - $150 AU is a bit overpriced for a ticket don't you think?

I guess it makes sense seeing as they are one of the truly great rock 'n' roll bands...
Quote by BigDC
If you listen to the Video that is posted on YouTube about it from a guy who talked to either Angus (or Malcom, can't remember which) and listen very closely, and then read the comments from the guy who made the video, he seams to make it clear that they are talking about a NEW STUDIO album, not just the Backtracks album. Although I do beleive Brian is retiring at the end of the Black Ice tour, I have a funny feeling they already have a replacement singer in mind for him. Hopefully it will not be Dave Evans (original AC/DC singer), even though he is MUCH MUCH better now then he was than. I just have a feeling about it!

I doubt they'll go with a new vocalist. It was a goddamn miracle that they managed to find someone who could actually step into Bon's shoes, and I really doubt they're going to be able to fill Brian's shoes.