What qualities to you think it takes to be a good bandleader? There is a thin line between being someone who gets the best out of people and gets good chemistry going, and someone who takes it too far (possibly though the fault of others) and ends up causing friction which always ruins sound.

Zappa, James Brown, Buddy Rich etc were all notorious bandleaders being strict disciplinarians with their session musicians... This i know from personal experience is the toughest role because often the session players are just in it for the quick cash so you try to be supporting as possible then when they still let you down you let rip!.

Other guys like Roger Waters or Axl deal with bandmembers who rarely create and when they pushed, the other band members rejected him. In those two examples it also shows the megalomania many bandleaders have when in control of music.

I think in any bandleading situation half the battle is the right guys in the first place, not just musically but personality wise...guys who get along and are on the same level musically. What are your opinions?
Last edited by lucertia. at Sep 22, 2009,
i think carmen electra would be a good band leader. i'd stay in the band just 'cause she's hot.
It really depends on what kind of band it is. If you're an "equal" band which I use loosely where it is a band where most of the members are creative entities, a band leader should just be an organizer. Someone who organizes practices, gigs, money, transportation, promotion, and all that fun stuff all though I believe, it's best if everyone has a hand in that stuff. They have to be ready to deal with problems with out going on a complete power trip.

If you're a band leader of a solo project and you're just playing with hired guns, you have to do all the things listed above and be in complete control of the musical output that the group does. On stage, you have to divide your time between entertaining and conducting, so that's difficult.
Quote by C_Miller
It really depends on what kind of band it is. If you're an "equal" band which I use loosely where it is a band where most of the members are creative entities, a band leader should just be an organizer. Someone who organizes practices, gigs, money, transportation, promotion, and all that fun stuff all though I believe, it's best if everyone has a hand in that stuff. They have to be ready to deal with problems with out going on a complete power trip.

If you're a band leader of a solo project and you're just playing with hired guns, you have to do all the things listed above and be in complete control of the musical output that the group does. On stage, you have to divide your time between entertaining and conducting, so that's difficult.

for me ive just found 'equal' bandmember situations rarely work. there is always a driving force.
Quote by lucertia.
for me ive just found 'equal' bandmember situations rarely work. there is always a driving force.

I find they never exist either
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
^true to the previous statements. There is always a motivator, a driving force.

I know the qualities that my bandmates have told me over the years that they appreciate so I'll relay some of them to you. (I've been a band leader in one capacity or another for about 10 years now)

When you are leading a band, and that may either be from the front of the stage or as the musical leader, you have to be dedicated. If your bandmates sense for even a second that you are not 100% there at every practice, at every gig, they will start to fall out. You have to have fresh solutions to the inevitable problems that will (not if) come up. You have to be able to perform under pressure, without getting bent out of shape. You have to be the voice of reason in chaos. You must be flexible. There is a time to stick to your guns, I freely admit, but there is also a time to open your mind to new and innovative things. You have to be a presser of the flesh, and put on a good face to the public. You have to do a little politicking. If you can't do any of those things, you are in the wrong biz my friends. If you cant take the heat, get out of the kitchen, so to speak.

Above all, you must be able to crucify your ego, and take constructive criticism. I usually run my band as a partnership. I am the driving force behind generating the initial musical kernel, yes, but when I allow my ego to step aside and open what I've made up to criticism from the 3 other guys that I trust, then the music transforms into something that is a collective endeavor. All of a sudden, we are artists, and we are executing our art. No longer are we just wage slaves toiling away for the hope of a buck, nor are we dictators mandating chord progressions to the unwashed masses: we have become Artists. We then are part owners of something larger than ourselves, because a fraction of us is actually in there. I find that only in true collaboration can the music become something that transcends any one persons vision, and morphs into something that can be universal.

Of course this is just my way of doing things, and by no means the only way, or even the best way. I often ask myself, why cant we all just chill and make some music? Then I realize, If I want to ever be successful so that people will actually hear my music, let alone enjoy it, there are steps that I must take. These are those steps.

Sorry for the book. It's the passion.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You know music is like 100% sound right?

Affordable prices on Logo designs and band merch. PM me for details.

Obligatory band link \/
www.myspace.com/resetred
Quote by Roxor_Mc0wnage
^true to the previous statements. There is always a motivator, a driving force.

I know the qualities that my bandmates have told me over the years that they appreciate so I'll relay some of them to you. (I've been a band leader in one capacity or another for about 10 years now)

When you are leading a band, and that may either be from the front of the stage or as the musical leader, you have to be dedicated. If your bandmates sense for even a second that you are not 100% there at every practice, at every gig, they will start to fall out. You have to have fresh solutions to the inevitable problems that will (not if) come up. You have to be able to perform under pressure, without getting bent out of shape. You have to be the voice of reason in chaos. You must be flexible. There is a time to stick to your guns, I freely admit, but there is also a time to open your mind to new and innovative things. You have to be a presser of the flesh, and put on a good face to the public. You have to do a little politicking. If you can't do any of those things, you are in the wrong biz my friends. If you cant take the heat, get out of the kitchen, so to speak.

Above all, you must be able to crucify your ego, and take constructive criticism. I usually run my band as a partnership. I am the driving force behind generating the initial musical kernel, yes, but when I allow my ego to step aside and open what I've made up to criticism from the 3 other guys that I trust, then the music transforms into something that is a collective endeavor. All of a sudden, we are artists, and we are executing our art. No longer are we just wage slaves toiling away for the hope of a buck, nor are we dictators mandating chord progressions to the unwashed masses: we have become Artists. We then are part owners of something larger than ourselves, because a fraction of us is actually in there. I find that only in true collaboration can the music become something that transcends any one persons vision, and morphs into something that can be universal.

Of course this is just my way of doing things, and by no means the only way, or even the best way. I often ask myself, why cant we all just chill and make some music? Then I realize, If I want to ever be successful so that people will actually hear my music, let alone enjoy it, there are steps that I must take. These are those steps.

Sorry for the book. It's the passion.

Yeah this can sometimes be an issue for me though, when you have other guys in the band who dont contribute for whatever reason. but then they elect to give criticism (which ive found is often just 'this sucks' rather than 'why dont we try this...'

I ran a prog band and basically the main issue was the guys were not learning the stuff at home, and to get thorough complex stuff together you need to know the tunes. Also i ran a wedding band, and that was difficult as the session players would come in and impress but then not keep standards up once they were getting gigs, and they would also take other gigs at short notice if they were better money. Very stressful.
Quote by lucertia.
Yeah this can sometimes be an issue for me though, when you have other guys in the band who dont contribute for whatever reason. but then they elect to give criticism (which ive found is often just 'this sucks' rather than 'why dont we try this...'

I ran a prog band and basically the main issue was the guys were not learning the stuff at home, and to get thorough complex stuff together you need to know the tunes. Also i ran a wedding band, and that was difficult as the session players would come in and impress but then not keep standards up once they were getting gigs, and they would also take other gigs at short notice if they were better money. Very stressful.

I definitely understand. There is no excuse for coming to rehearsal without knowing your parts.

The main thing is you have to have the right guys in the band. The right dynamic. Listen to me, I sound like an expert. No, I am not an expert by any means, this is just the casual observation by someone who has done it a few times. The personnel you have makes most of the difference. Give me someone who is dedicated that I can work with over a set-in-his-ways virtuoso any day.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You know music is like 100% sound right?

Affordable prices on Logo designs and band merch. PM me for details.

Obligatory band link \/
www.myspace.com/resetred
c'mon guys! no one else would stay in a band just because the leader was Carmen Electra who is super ****ing hot???

...you're all a bunch of liars and you know it!
You need all the members to be dedicated and good at what they do. In every band i've been in there have always been stubborn and arrogant people and you need to avoid these people if possible. I wouldn't say there should always be a 'bandleader' in a band but is important that everyone is giving it their best and shouldn't sit back and let the other members do all the work, write all the parts etc.. If your in a band and aren't ready to play in a band yet it would be best to just quit because you will let the other members down on stage if you are not ready to play in a band... just my opinion though
A good bandleader takes charge, but doesn't abuse his power. Never calls the band theirs, and doesn't let bad people play at your shows just cause they are his friend... of course my bandleader/singer does all the above..