I have tuned my Ibanez s320 to Drop C, but i got some questions wether i did it right or wrong

My tuning: C G C F A D

But when i tune with the chromatic tuner, it says like C2 or B3 - what does the numbers mean?

And whats the difference between Drop C and Drop C#

And some of the strings feel very loose, the second C and the A. But maybe i need some bigger gauge strings, right now i have gauge 10.

Should i buy some gauge 12 instead, and if that the case, which brand do you recommend?
the numbers mean in what octave you are in (in your case the 3rd C)
drop c# is just like drop c but you RAISE everything by one semitone.
and yes 10's arnt great for that, you should get a custom gauge like slinky top heavy bottom by Ernie ball specially made for dropping the low e down.
Gibson les Paul studio
Schecter hellraiser C-1 FR 2008
Guitar Rig - Rig Kontrol
how would that show on the chromatic tuner - the semitones ? And which octaves should i go for? i have a Boss TU-80.

I want to be able to play Disturbed - Down with the sickness, and i believe they use Drop C# for that song. It sound much like it with the tuning i am in now, but i think it could be better.
Last edited by JaX89dk at Sep 22, 2009,
your tuning is correct.
Drop C = CGCFAD
Drop C# = C#G#C#F#A#D# (Drop C# means tune all the strings a semitone higher than Drop #, or a semitone lower than Drop D)

The Difference between C2 and C3 is that C3 is an octave higher. Same with the B3, its an octave higher than B2, or an octave lower than C4)
Quote by Jaymz_515
I pretend I'm a huge spider laying eggs, then when I flush the toilet I fall to floor screaming "MY CHILLLDRENN!! NOOOO!"

If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.
- Mitch Hedberg
drop C is CGCFAD, so yeah, you got it right

the number represents which octave it is at for ex. C3 is one octave higher than C2

the difference between C and C#(C sharp) is a semi-tone(the difference between one fret and the next) it is halfway between C and D(the difference being a whole tone from C to D),
this is pretty simple stuff

if you think you need thicker strings go with .011" gauge, I recomend D'Addario's
don't get .012's
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Sep 22, 2009,
I'm sure its easy stuff, but i have only been playing the guitar for 4 months with no lessons. so i dont know any music theory. and i dont really have a need to know, when the chromatic tuner knows. i just want it explained to me, which octave it needs to be, and how i see the semitones?
dude, a semitone is just another word for halfstep, or like one person said, it's the difference of one fret, i.e. going from the 6th fret to the 7th, that's a semitone.

and if your stings are that floppy, you're probably an octave low. 10's handle the top end fine in drop c in terms of tension (though your clarity might suffer). like guy said, a custom gauge set would work great for you.
I want to play down with the sickness in Drop C# - Which octave does the notes need to be? - it could be any octave as long as it the right note like C ? - and about the semitones, i can only do that by ear or could my chromatic tuner do it?

I'm still confused, maybe you could link me a guide?
Last edited by JaX89dk at Sep 22, 2009,
If a string was in the wrong octave, you probably wouldn't be able to play it. Don't worry about the number on your tuner.

However if its bothering so much...

Standard tuning = E3 A3 D4 G4 B4 E5
Drop D = D3 A3 D4 G4 B4 E5
Drop C# = C#3 G#3 C#4 F#4 A#4 D#5
Drop C = C3 G3 C4 F4 A4 D5

Top string, or string closest to the roof on the left. Bottom String, or string closest to the ground on the right.

Hope that helps.
Quote by Jaymz_515
I pretend I'm a huge spider laying eggs, then when I flush the toilet I fall to floor screaming "MY CHILLLDRENN!! NOOOO!"

If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.
- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by Jacoiskoby
If a string was in the wrong octave, you probably wouldn't be able to play it. Don't worry about the number on your tuner.

However if its bothering so much...

Standard tuning = E3 A3 D4 G4 B4 E5
Drop D = D3 A3 D4 G4 B4 E5
Drop C# = C#3 G#3 C#4 F#4 A#4 D#5
Drop C = C3 G3 C4 F4 A4 D5

Top string, or string closest to the roof on the left. Bottom String, or string closest to the ground on the right.

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much, just what i needed - and come to think of it, i think my tuner shows the #.