i found a really cheap alesis multimix mixer on craigslist and i had a question about it but the seller was unable to answer it for me.

the main reason i'm looking into mixers is because i need a preamp. i figured looking into mixers would do a little more for me than just buying a preamp.

so my question is is the preamp in the alesis multimix 8 decent enough for boosting the gain from a mic to use for recording/editing?

i've tried using my m-audio fast track pro to do the same thing but the preamp isn't strong enough and it usually clips really early.

tl;dr is the preamp in the alesis multimix 8 decent?

i checked search btw

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.

Quote by DkassBTU
fly ass ******s wearin my hat

hahahahaha
Im in almost the exact same situation as you man, I have an m-audio fasttrack and i dislike it alot, the band has the alesis multimix 8 and they needed me to download them drivers for it. I'll be taking those drivers to them in a couple days, I hope there will be a difference.

I too am curious.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
awesome. let me know how it goes and hopefully the guy still has that mixer by the time you figure it out.

Quote by DkassBTU

hahahahaha
Quote by gebgebgeb
so my question is is the preamp in the alesis multimix 8 decent enough for boosting the gain from a mic to use for recording/editing?
That's exactly what it's for.

i've tried using my m-audio fast track pro to do the same thing but the preamp isn't strong enough and it usually clips really early
This makes me think you are doing something wrong.
Last edited by fly135 at Sep 22, 2009,
well i mic my amp, run the mic into the m-audio and into the computer via usb. i turn the gain all the way up, play a bit to see the clip light then turn it down until i dont see it anymore.

Quote by DkassBTU

hahahahaha
Have you gone into the computer's mixer and adjusted the level in the recording control panel?
when i plug in the m-audio, it uses the m-audio driver so the normal volume mixer doesn't really do anything. but yeah the input volume is up as far as it can go.

i tried turning up the volume in the program i use to record but it always seems to make it pop and snap etc.

Quote by DkassBTU

hahahahaha
Try using Audacity. It give you a visual of the waveform and you can see if it's clipping. Unless you are recording stereo set the preferences to mono. On some sound cards recording stereo cuts your headroom in half and it will clip at 0.5 on the display scale. Also try using M-Audio's tech support. The unit has the gain necessary to boost the mic, so something else is going on.
i usually use adobe audition. i'm not exactly sure what clipping looks like. is that when when you look at the waves and they go over the lines that are parallel to the center line?

the interface im using doesn't run into a sound card or anything. it plugs in via usb.

i haven't contacted m-audio's tech support though. i could try that.

Quote by DkassBTU

hahahahaha
I haven't used Adobe. On Audacity when waveform hits the max in the window (at 1 on the scale) then it's clipping. Although it will clip at 0.5 when set to stereo on soem sound cards. You can also just hit a single note on a clean setting and the waveform should look like a sine wave. If it clips the top and bottom will be flattened.

I have a GNX4 and it can record with USB. I haven't tried it but I believe the driver should use the mixer. I'll try recording something tonight and see. I've recorded using USB on an X3 Live I used to have. I seem to remember having an issue with low levels but it's a bit vague in my mind.

I'll try using the USB record on the GNX4 and see if the mixer is active.
ok sounds good. although i just realized something. if i used the mixer to boost the signal, wouldn't the interface end up clipping it? if the signal is too strong to begin with, wouldn't the preamp in the mixer be kind of overkill?

the problem is i can't turn the gain up high enough to be able to get a decent volume in audition. i always have to turn it down so it doesn't clip (there's a "clip" light on the interface).

Quote by DkassBTU

hahahahaha
If you can boost the input gain to the point the clip light shows then you've got plenty of gain. It's the record level coming in on the USB that isn't high enough. Right now I'm not sure where that is controlled.