Kay pit, in my time of need I turn to you, to request help from the greatest intellectual minds UG has to offer. That being said I don't really expect to get to much out of this thread .

So, recently I tried a Linux distro for the first time (DSL), and was actually quite impressed with it, being that it ran faster than XP and didn't crash once in the whole 4 hours I was ****ing around with it, and now I'm considering making the switch permanent. I've been doing some research on different distros, and have it narrowed down to two choices: Dynebolic or Musix. The main things I'm looking for are speed, ease of use, and a decent audio program (also it would be preferable that it be able to run as a live CD until I dig out that spare hard drive). I have a slow PC by today's standards (AMD Athlon 1.25Ghz, 1256MB of RAM), and I have but one DVD left at my disposal with which to burn my new distro on to. The main reason I've chosen these two is that they come with everything already installed, I don't really want to **** around all day to get everything working right (that's what Windows is for , amirite?)

So, my question is, for those of you who have experience with Linux, which would you reccomend, Dynebolic or Musix, or perhaps some other distro I haven't discovered yet?? And for Musix specifically, how much more taxing on my PC will it be that Dynebolic?
I woud generally recommend against Linux for audio production, Musix comes with Ardour which is the DAW for Linux, but IMO it's pretty crap.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I woud generally recommend against Linux for audio production, Musix comes with Ardour which is the DAW for Linux, but IMO it's pretty crap.

Really? I've heard good things about Ardour, granted, mostly from people who swear by Linux, but still. What I'm looking for more than anything is something that will run with little to no latency on my comp, I have problems with it even in Audacity. Another thing, I really hate Audacity and I want to stop using it.
yeah Ardour is better than Audacity, but then again Audacity isn't even a DAW, it's a really basic audio editor, I'm comparing Ardour to DAWs like Reaper and Cubase. But yeah, you will probably get reduced latency, but that's largely down to what hardware you're using.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm