hey ug!
am installing new pups, what goes great with the seymour duncan invader at bridge postion?
GeaR :

CORT x6 equipped with Seymour Duncan Invaders

Digitech RP250

Shitty 30w Silvertone Amp

Randall RG50TC
A good amp? Guitar + alright pickups + terrible amp = terrible tone. Just thought you should know that.

Also, I like my Duncan '59 in the neck, but it's probably not high enough output for you.
Yep save your money and get a decent amp. and put your threads in the right forums
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
hahaha ya i know....thats why i am getting the randall RG50TC!!! but still what should i install in the neck position?
GeaR :

Digitech RP250

Randall RG50TC
Quote by THISisJURJI
hahaha ya i know....thats why i am getting the randall RG50TC!!! but still what should i install in the neck position?

i would get a 59. i have a 59 in one of my guitars and like it a lot as a neck position pup. i have a jazz in the neck position of another guitar (which has an invader in the bridge). the jazz is very warm, another good pick up but it all depends what you would use it for i guess.
uh i play mostly metal ( trivium , bullet for my valentne, children of bodom) what would you recomend?
GeaR :

Digitech RP250

Randall RG50TC
Quote by THISisJURJI
uh i play mostly metal ( trivium , bullet for my valentne, children of bodom) what would you recomend?

so you are never going to use cleans?
na man am 90% of the time on the bridge pup
GeaR :

Digitech RP250

Randall RG50TC
just because seymour duncans are a big name and expensive doesn't neccessarily mean they are the greatest pups out there. You can find pickups just as good if not better than sds online for half the price. It's really all about your style. And I would say a good amp is probably more important than your pickups, but changing the pups is certainly a cheaper way to tweak your sound a bit. But still no pickup is going to sound that much better out of a cheap amp.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
also as long as ur playing metal and such there is really no reason for you to spend money on a neck pickup, you'll never use it.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
you know there's other forums besides Gear Ads right? stop posting all your threads here, this will be the 4th one i've moved.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by handbanana
also as long as ur playing metal and such there is really no reason for you to spend money on a neck pickup, you'll never use it.

so i guess there is no need to change the neck pup?
GeaR :

Digitech RP250

Randall RG50TC
Quote by THISisJURJI
so i guess there is no need to change the neck pup?

well i mean, I play hardcore punk, and a little bit of metal, and i seriously never use the neck pickup ever. I would say if your only playing metal or heavier music than their really is no point in changing the neck pickup. Unless you decide you might want to play smooth rock or jazz or something like that. Other than that it's not worth spending the money on imo. Save yourself $50-75 on something you'll probably never use
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by mikeyElite
you know there's other forums besides Gear Ads right? stop posting all your threads here, this will be the 4th one i've moved.

ya? well i guess you won't mind moving the fifth one (:
GeaR :

Digitech RP250

Randall RG50TC
Quote by handbanana
well i mean, I play hardcore punk, and a little bit of metal, and i seriously never use the neck pickup ever. I would say if your only playing metal or heavier music than their really is no point in changing the neck pickup. Unless you decide you might want to play smooth rock or jazz or something like that. Other than that it's not worth spending the money on imo. Save yourself $50-75 on something you'll probably never use

oh ok thanks man, ill just stick to the invader then...
GeaR :

Digitech RP250

Randall RG50TC
earplugs so you can't hear the invader?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
invaders suck and you need to find a better pups.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
dude the invaders don't suck, just cos u don't like em doesn't mean they aren't good.
jurji, i know you, you're never gonna use ur neck pup (which is y u want a RR24) just dont waste ur cash on it. but apparently u never listen to me, u only listen to people on UG, even if i said the same thing :P

some best friend you are :P
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by Blacken Seas

invader sucks?? you my friend are a banjo picker......ya that explains it.....
GeaR :

Digitech RP250

Randall RG50TC
Quote by soloXshredder
dude the invaders don't suck, just cos u don't like em doesn't mean they aren't good.
jurji, i know you, you're never gonna use ur neck pup (which is y u want a RR24) just dont waste ur cash on it. but apparently u never listen to me, u only listen to people on UG, even if i said the same thing :P

some best friend you are :P

hahaha xP
btw did you get the weeping demon yet?
GeaR :

Digitech RP250

Randall RG50TC
Quote by handbanana
just because seymour duncans are a big name and expensive doesn't neccessarily mean they are the greatest pups out there.
Seymour Duncans are not that expensive, especially for after market pickups, they're on the cheaper end of the spectrum. They're only expensive compared to budget options like GFS, but those in general do not sound as good, so... you're getting what you pay for.
You can find pickups just as good if not better than sds online for half the price.
No. You cannot.

And I agree with whoever said Invaders suck. Unless you like harsh, muddy, incoherent tone.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 23, 2009,
Quote by Blacken Seas

Invaders SUCK.

They're only second to a dimebucker.

In any event, you need to get your amp before you decide on a pickup to tweak the tone.

Quote by handbanana
just because seymour duncans are a big name and expensive

Ever hear of Bare Knuckles or Stephen Designs.

If you think Seymour Duncans are expensive, the price of a Bare Knuckle or Stephen Design pickup will floor you.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Sep 23, 2009,
he's right, Bare knuckles are expensive. and yes Seymour Duncans are relatively cheap, however, none of the arists he mentioned use anything besides EMGs or SD, also i have never heard of any artist who uses BKP or any other high end pup, mos use EMG, SD, or DiMarzios
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by soloXshredder
he's right, Bare knuckles are expensive. and yes Seymour Duncans are relatively cheap, however, none of the arists he mentioned use anything besides EMGs or SD, also i have never heard of any artist who uses BKP or any other high end pup, mos use EMG, SD, or DiMarzios

Actually, Chris Broderick used to have a Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat in his guitar's neck position and a Bare Knuckle Nailbomb in the bridge position.

Though you are right that most artist do tend to use one of the big three.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
My point exactly. So if they use those 3, shouldn't it be good enough for you. Anyway IMHO, having a BKP or Stephen Designs pup, is just being snobby. Pickups don't do anything except for tweak your sound, so spend your hard-earned cash on a good amp and SDs or EMGs, instead of buying BKPs and a mediocre amp
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by soloXshredder
My point exactly. So if they use those 3, shouldn't it be good enough for you. Anyway IMHO, having a BKP or Stephen Designs pup, is just being snobby. Pickups don't do anything except for tweak your sound, so spend your hard-earned cash on a good amp and SDs or EMGs, instead of buying BKPs and a mediocre amp

Not necessarily. Some of the boutique pickups have a sound that any of the big 3 can never achieve.

So I take that that you view me as snobby since I think that a number of the boutique pickup makers have better pickups than any of the big 3.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
No I don't think your snobby. Maybe I'm just at a level where i still can't differentiate that well between different pickups played with the same amp (tried a few at GC today, barely noticed a difference). Maybe to your ears it sounds better. However, if the Invader wasn't good, Synyster Gates wouldn't use it, or if EMG-Hz pickups were bad, Alexi wouldn't use them. What you like in music is all up to you.

EDIT: I just feel that boutique pickups are an unnecessary luxury
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Last edited by soloXshredder at Sep 23, 2009,
Quote by soloXshredder
No I don't think your snobby. Maybe I'm just at a level where i still can't differentiate that well between different pickups played with the same amp (tried a few at GC today, barely noticed a difference). Maybe to your ears it sounds better. However, if the Invader wasn't good, Synyster Gates wouldn't use it, or if EMG-Hz pickups were bad, Alexi wouldn't use them. What you like in music is all up to you.

EDIT: I just feel that boutique pickups are an unnecessary luxury

I think you're thinking of it the right way now. However also consider this, Gates has a lot more in his live rig than just an amp, while Alexi's tone is largely influenced by his Lee Jackson preamp.

In their cases, their preamp are even more instrumental than their pickups, hence they can use their preamp to overcome the shortfalls of pickups more than we can.

Also you should A/B some boutique pickups alongside pickups from any of the big 3 for yourself to understand why some people strongly support boutique pickup makers. Luxury or not, boutique pickups often have a sound that the off-the-shelves pickups can't come close to comparing.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Sep 23, 2009,
Quote by al112987
And I agree with whoever said Invaders suck. Unless you like harsh, muddy, incoherent tone.

You mean heavy, awesome, hard-hitting tone? I like that.
For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cac2-dTkayY
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by soloXshredder
I don't think owning a high end pickup is being snobby at all. I've owned several pickups in a fairly wide range, Seymour Duncans ('59s, JBs, Invader, Antiquities (which are Duncan custom shop), WCRs, Wolfetones, and will probably end up buying a set of Throbaks or SD Pickups when I get an R0.

I'd never recommend buying a set of boutique pickups if they have a crappy amp, and in a way, the difference between something like a Duncan Seth Lover or Antiquity and an SD Vintage lab can be slight, even though one set cost $200 and the other cost $400, but for a lot of styles, those subtleties in attack, the response of certain frequencies are important, especially to those who are into lower output PAF style pickups. And in those cases, it's not out of the question to spend $300 on a set of BKP or WCRs or even the $400-$450 on SD Pickups or Throbaks for the sake of getting the exact tone you want as opposed to rummaging through 5 different sets of cheap pickups that don't do if for you. And it's nothing against Seymour Duncan, imo he makes the best pickups in his price range and in the end, the Duncan Antiquities sound a lot better than several higher end PAF style pickups that I've tried despite being 1) more available and 2) cheaper.

Quote by Kanthras
You mean heavy, awesome, hard-hitting tone? I like that.
For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cac2-dTkayY
You might like that tone for it's heaviness, but I think it sounds horrible for 1) it's lack of clarity and 2) sounding like a swarm of bees.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 23, 2009,
+ lots Andrew
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Invaders are mediocre at best....and also, its not a good idea to talk back to a mod that was nice enough to move your threads instead of just closing them and leaving them.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Invaders are mediocre at best....and also, its not a good idea to talk back to a mod that was nice enough to move your threads instead of just closing them and leaving them.

+1000000000000000
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by soloXshredder

what if you've already got a nice amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

what if you've already got a nice amp?

Well you got me there.

I'd say get a new amp with that money, something like an HT-5 or something
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by soloXshredder
Well you got me there.

I'd say get a new amp with that money, something like an HT-5 or something

So what you're saying is, and bear with me I've hit the guinness tonight so I might be missing something here. But what you're saying is, that rather than take your tone and hone it to a perfect tone you would take that money that could have made your tone better and spend it on a seemingly unnecessary practice/recording amp? Am I the only one that thinks this is silly?

Plus, for me BKP are only about £10 more than SD's so it's not really that big a deal for me. I would also spend the money on a Hayden MoFo if I was considering another amp.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

nah, i agree with you. unless you need several amps for all the tones you need (and even then), once you've got that really nice amp you might as well get really nice pickups, guitars etc. I also disagree that it's just "tweaking" your sound, through a good amp that boutique pickup should be pretty noticeably better than the mass-produced ones.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A) Invaders sound good. When ran into $3,000 Bogners with a $1,000 dollar cab. Otherwise, you'd be better with EMGs.
B) EMGs HZ are pretty crappy. Alexi Laiho doesn't play a HT-5.
C) HT-5 is great for a cheap, low wattage tube amp. Doesn't top most amps over $1,000.
Gear :

Ibanez RG2570 (has yet to post pics)
Crap Wal-Mart guitar that came in a 70 buck starters pack.
Marshall MG15, I know
Quote by handbanana
I would say if your only playing metal or heavier music than their really is no point in changing the neck pickup.
That is rediculous. Maybe if your Slipknot, yeah, but any metalhead worth his salt knows that changing to a neck pup for certain things adds an entirely new dimension to the sound.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by SimplyBen
So what you're saying is, and bear with me I've hit the guinness tonight so I might be missing something here. But what you're saying is, that rather than take your tone and hone it to a perfect tone you would take that money that could have made your tone better and spend it on a seemingly unnecessary practice/recording amp? Am I the only one that thinks this is silly?

Plus, for me BKP are only about £10 more than SD's so it's not really that big a deal for me. I would also spend the money on a Hayden MoFo if I was considering another amp.

Maybe you have a point. I was just defending my friend's choice in the Invader and this got started. But I looked at their website, BKPs cost like 200 British Pounds (don't have the symbol), and EMGs or SDs usually cost no more than 150$. But I guess you have a point. Also never tried the MoFo

Quote by fishermanbob
A) Invaders sound good. When ran into $3,000 Bogners with a $1,000 dollar cab. Otherwise, you'd be better with EMGs.
B) EMGs HZ are pretty crappy. Alexi Laiho doesn't play a HT-5.
C) HT-5 is great for a cheap, low wattage tube amp. Doesn't top most amps over $1,000.

I agree with all that except the thing about HZs. They are just a bit flat, but other than that pretty good, and with a gain booster they sound great.
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal